And They’re Off!

Today we officially launch what started as a casual, off the cuff comment. Although we have indulged in some dithering along the way –  things have gone remarkably smoothly considering that all communication has been conducted via email and blog commentary. Not to mention during a period when I have been working night shifts and attempting to finalise my end-of-year accounts.

How things pan out from here remains to be seen. Others have tried and seen their creations falter. Internet fora and blogs are much like business start-ups in that regard; many fail, a few succeed and do well. It doesn’t mean that the failures were a bad thing, merely that there wasn’t the custom or they didn’t get their market research right. What this place has in its favour is a collection of contributors who are already known elsewhere and have their own following –  so hopefully, some of that following will come here and discover new writers and engage with what they –  we –  have to say.

One interesting aspect is that there will be disagreeing viewpoints in the same place. While we were exchanging ideas about what to call it and how it might work, I noticed a multitude of thoughts and disagreements –  as I remarked, everyone has an opinion and they are all different. The response to that remark was, generally, that this is a good thing.

May the debate be lively, may our words be informative and may we cause anyone who drops by to pause and think a while about their preconceptions and their personal liberty. If we succeed in this, we have achieved our objective.

So, on this our first official day, welcome, pull up a chair, pour yourself a tea or coffee and make yourself at home.

And, from James and I –  thanks for your support.

21 comments for “And They’re Off!

1. WitteringWitney
    April 25, 2011 at 8:37 am

Never mind our support, I believe I can say for all of us: its our thanks to you for the work Chuckles, James and you have put in and our thanks for having been asked to participate in this venture.

Well done, both of you!

• April 25, 2011 at 9:04 am

Hear, hear, many thanks indeed

• April 25, 2011 at 9:26 am

Seconded!

Good luck to her, and all who sail in her!

2. April 25, 2011 at 9:25 am

Looking very good so far!

I have done an introductory piece over at my place.

My first piece for this site is half-written but I have no log in details for this site. Can one of you Admins please investigate?

CR.

• April 25, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’ll email them to you again. The permissions, unfortunately, don’t allow you to put up your own page – that was a manual addition we put in. We might be able to do it in the next week but it will mean writing code.

In the meantime, can you prepare it in rich format, e.g. as a draft on your site and just send it via email. Probably better to use the site email now in the sidebar but also:

forlibertyuk@gmail.com

Autonomous Mind did this and we just put it into his page. Sorry that it’s a pain and not very libertarian but if you send, we do immediately.

• April 25, 2011 at 9:53 am

That authors cannot access pages is just the way WordPress is built, unfortunately.

• April 25, 2011 at 10:37 am

But the ‘save draft’ under your login works, doesn’t it? To be then scheduled to posting by the admins?

That’s what I’ve been doing, anyway! I’d hate to think my posts so far have vanished into the ether…

• April 25, 2011 at 10:45 am

The difference is that while you leave a post saved as draft – which we are then scheduling, you cannot write a “Page” because as an author you don’t have access – only admins have that. So, for a brief bio on your page, you have to let us have it in text form and we will put it in. I’d prefer it is you had direct access but WordPress isn’t built that way. 😐

3. April 25, 2011 at 9:26 am

Just been testing out the navigation. The autofill on comments is Ok but not great. However, the quotes within quotes is excellent [above] and clear. Happy about that.

As you can imagine, there are many thoughts running around in our minds. Will people come to the party? Will it get a wider readership? Who knows? It’s only as good as the bloggers writing here going back to their blogs and promoting the site, along with our SEO.

One aspect which was automatic was that if you click on a contributor’s name, you get all his/her posts on a page. Now I was going to load them manually but this saves a job.

And so on. There are teething troubles but with good will, we’ll sort them out. Orphans of Liberty is not a bad name, I suppose.

The anti-spam is an utter pain and we have to get rid of it quickly and get the one in which Longrider suggested. We’ll get onto that straight away. In the meantime, sorry you’re having the same troubles here that I’m having at my site.

Thanks for the wellwishes on behalf of us three.

• April 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

Akismet does seem to be misbehaving. I plucked a comment from the spam queue this morning and it really doesn’t like Julia.

• April 25, 2011 at 10:39 am

It seems to like me today! 😀

• April 25, 2011 at 10:46 am

We switched off Akismet.

• April 25, 2011 at 10:46 am

Presumably you ate all your greens today 😉

• April 25, 2011 at 10:47 am

he switched off Akismet while I wasn’t looking :mrgreen:

4. April 25, 2011 at 9:49 am

Just wanted to say a quick congratulations on getting this site up and running. I already read 7 of the contributors, and will be interested to see what the others have to say 🙂

Good luck all!

5. April 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm

A great idea, and long overdue. I wish you all well.

6. microdave
    April 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Good luck with the new project, I’ve added it to my bookmarks.

Regarding the post composition problems discussed above – I’m a “contributor” at Max Farquar (who also uses WP), and have the ability to fully compose my posts, including adding YouTube URL’s and HTML. I can also preview and see them exactly as they will appear, before saving as a “Draft”. I can also “Post” any work I’ve done, although I don’t without prior agreement!

There are various levels of access – the lowest didn’t allow me to add images etc, so maybe you need to look at this aspect for CR? One thing I can’t do (which was possible with Blogger) is see what drafts others are working on. Although I couldn’t see the content it was useful to know that other posts were in the offing.

• April 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for that, Microdave. As an admin, I don’t get to see what the author or contributor can get into or not get into, except to go under another name but first I’d have to register myself. So that’s quite valuable feedback.

7. April 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Forgot to say: now on my blogroll and duly linked.