Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

So the witch is finally dead. Which is nice. Presumably our forces –  and the Americans can now withdraw from Afghanistan, the mission now being complete. They won’t? Really? Why ever not? (Rhetorical question, no need to reply).

It would be nice to think that we will no longer be regaled by the news of dark plots and darker deeds committed by this worldwide network called al-Qaeda. Given that no such thing ever existed.

What we do know about Bin Laden is that he had some followers who did, indeed, carry out attacks. That this was a worldwide organisation run by a sinister puppet master is and always was absurd. The reality is that dotted around the globe odd little groups of radical Jihadists banded together to carry out an attack and managed on occasion to spectacularly cock it up. ETA or the IRA these incompetents were not.

During 2001, Bin Laden’s mob managed to pull off one very devastating attack, with a couple of atrocities since then, attributed to this organisation and they’ve been living off the notoriety ever since. In general, what we have is a loose collection of independent cells that operate autonomously with Bin Laden taking the credit. I have no doubt that he was happy to take the credit, but the suggestion repeated by politicians and journalists that he was some sort of Moriarty figure pulling the strings form his hideout in Pakistan was always stretching credibility.

Will those who profit from the constant state of paranoia step back? Will we finally see an end to the fiction that was al-Qaeda. I have a horrible feeling that despite the organisation’s decapitation, we won’t. Someone else will have to step into the breach of the world’s most wanted man. The politicians need a bogeyman –  so someone will have to fill the void. The fiction that there is a worldwide Muslim conspiracy to bomb us all into submission will have to continue. The War on Terror will go on. The show must always go on. al-Qaeda is far too convenient to die with its founding father, even if it was all a fiction.

14 comments for “Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead

1. Paul
    May 2, 2011 at 9:23 pm

This doesn’t change anything as you say. Not one thing in the real world. But then people haven’t really been talking about the Bin man for years.

The myth of ‘Alky Aida’ will persist.

2. May 2, 2011 at 9:41 pm

They can soon design a new witch! I wonder where the new one will be located?

• Angry Exile
      May 3, 2011 at 2:28 am

Tripoli?

• May 3, 2011 at 2:42 am

Libya. He’s already been given the job which is why they didn’t need this one any more.

3. May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Damn, I saw the title to this post and though Cherie Blair had joined the choir invisible, for one brief moment… 😉

4. May 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm

“The War on Terror will go on.”

Of course it will. Hundreds of thousands of jobs depend on it.

I fully expect airport security to be ramped up too. Fully nekkid security screening with a mandatory cavity search for all. Except Muslims, natch. (For it would offend).

It is difficult to see this pricks death in a positive light, no matter how badly his life needed to be ended.

CR.

• Paul
      May 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Captain Ranty: I’m unsure if that one would fly. A Muslim woman in niqab was turned away before for refusing to be body scanned in Manchester Airport.

• May 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Paul,

I have refused a couple of body scans myself. I still flew.

Mind you, I was not wearing a niqab.

Just a fetching little skirt.

CR.

• Paul
          May 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm

From Manchester?

• May 2, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Negative.

Schiphol and Lagos.

CR.

• Paul
            May 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Ah, OK. Manchester doesn’t as far as I’m aware. You don’t have the scan, you don’t board the plane.

I fly from Liverpool (I call it Speke, just to be retro!) instead. Balls to them.

5. May 2, 2011 at 10:48 pm

It was easy enough to refuse the gentle giant at Schiphol but slightly tougher in Lagos with an AK-47 stuck up my nose, but I managed it.

I am enjoying being a defiant little bastard. 😆

CR.

6. May 2, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Mi favorite Al Quaedy cock-up story was the half-wit Moslem convert from Plymouth who travelled to Exeter to wreak vengeance upon the infidel.
    He chose as his target not the American icons Macdonalds or Starbucks but the one multi-culti eatery frequented by the young mothers, and their babies, from the university Arab Studies Centre known as Giraffe.
    All he managed to do was blow his own hands up in the ladies lav.

The police knew all about him and gave out so much detailed information even though he was already in custody at A&E that I was surprised his lawers did not claim that a fair trial was not possible, which it wasn’t 😛 .

7. Andrew Hunt
    May 3, 2011 at 5:41 am

This changes nothing. Every religion needs its devil, therefore a new devil will be found.