Canadian election results

After a number of years of minority governments, the Canadian electorate has finally decided they want stability, and have given Harper’s Conservatives a twelve seat majority. Results from election Canada, here. Big changes in Quebec (Which has rather the same relationship to the other Provinces as Scotland has to the rest of the UK) where the separatist and spendthrift Bloc Quebecois got toasted.

As a matter of interest there’s been a ‘Red shirt’ smaller Government movement campaigning for less debt etc who must have helped convince Quebeckers to ‘drop the Bloc’. Everywhere else the Liberals (For UK readers, think Labour) lost big time. The Greens have won one seat in the lower Gulf Islands. Although their victory is hardly surprising out here on the hippy drippy West coast.

From observations based on other countries it has to be said that Green MP’s tend to have the electoral life span of Mayflies. Especially when the voters find out what all those eco-friendly policies really mean. With an overall Conservative majority in power the Greens are still pretty much irrelevant anyway.

Down at the low end of the political food chain we have candidates for Parties like the PC Party (Nooo, not that kind of Political Correctness, but Progressive Conservative), the Pirate Party (Nothing to do with Johnny Depp and “Ahar, me hearties, shiver me mainbrace” they’re about reform of Canadian Copyright). As a matter of interest, the Libertarian Party candidates scored slightly more votes than the PC Party.

Then we come to the wierd and wonderful end of the political spectrum with the Rhinoceros Party (I kid you not), the Radical Marijuana, the FPNP, WBP (Who want independence from Ontario and Quebec, don’t think they’re all that keen on the Maritime provinces either). Then there’s the anti abortionist CHP, the Animal rights Movement, Communists and Marxist-Leninists who obviously didn’t get the memo.

It’s worthwhile noting that up until 2004, a Liberal passed law said that a political party had to run 50 candidates at $1000 dollars a candidate to be considered ‘registered’. Now anyone with the odd thousand to burn can form their own political party with only one candidate. For someone currently without a vote this meets with my amusement. At least this way everyone gets a chance. It’s about as representative as democracy gets.

Regarding AV, over here in Canada the briefly adopted Alternate Voting system was ditched after one election, and a Single Transferable Voting system proposed. Although we’ve still got first past the post as the 2005 referendum to adopt STV missed it’s mark by 3%.

6 comments for “Canadian election results

1. May 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Bill, thanks for this. Canadian politics is a bit of a mystery to me, so it’s helpful to have some insight. Also interesting to see AV ditched in favour of a PR system. I’m presuming that this is what the LibDems are hoping will happen here. I’m inclined to think; in their dreams…

2. Paul
    May 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I thought that the Liberals might actually be, well, liberal (socially rather than economically, perhaps, but still liberals). So they’re just another social democratic party?

What’s the difference, then, between the Liberals and the NDP?

As an aside, I have a Canadian photographer friend who tells me that he never, ever votes in federal elections. He hates all the parties there as there’s literally no-one to vote for in Canada. In Britain he’d be on the socially conservative, Christian (but libertarian) wing of UKIP and he actually claimed that he’d be that way inclined and wishes UKIP the best of luck.

3. May 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Paul, since a landmark case in 2004, in Canada anyone can form and register a political party if they have a thousand bucks and some time to spare. Regarding the NDP and Liberals, there’s about the same idealogical and fiscal policy similarity as the UK Labour and Liberal Democrats.

Sounds like your friend would be happier with the WBP, a bunch of social conservatives who want the Western Provinces to be independent of Ontario and Quebec.

4. Paul
    May 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm

He’s a Canadian nationalist, which is a sticking point. Ho hum. Though I could ask him about the WBP.

5. May 3, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Fascinating take – I’ve always wondered. I knew about Harper and Iggy of course, through Halls of Macadamia but wasn’t sure of the lie of the land generally. Thanks for that.

6. Will S.
    May 3, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Hey, I’m Paul’s Canadian friend, and being from Ontario, no damn way would I ever support western separatism, of course – and of course, I couldn’t vote WCC/WBP if I even wanted to. But neither is anyone else going to; the West wanted in, they said back in the Reform Party days? They’re not only in, but they won, clearly, under this Parliament. The West + Ontario = Stephen Harper’s new majority, plus even a few seats in Atlantic Canada, for good measure.

No; no party out there is for me. I’m a cross between an old-school Red Tory (of the George Parkin Grant type) and a Christian Heritage Party type, except I can’t stand their neo-con, warmongering tendencies (from what I noticed when Dubya was in power down in the States); and I have some paleo-libertarian tendencies. And I also have some other political interests that nobody out there seems to care about (National Question matters, shall we say, and men’s interests.) So I’m politically homeless.

That said, if the Tories could do some of the things they’ve promised for years, like scrapping the long-gun registry, I’d be happier, and perhaps in time, willing to give them another chance. On the other hand, if they’re warmongering idiots, I may have to consider voting NDP sometime just to punish them. We’ll see what happens, in time, I guess.