Nine years, seven months and twenty-one days

During which time the Yanks alone have, by some estimates, spent $1,118,600,000,000, or about $317,784,091 per day, along with the lives of close on 6,000 of their servicemen and women – not to mention those of other coalition members and civilians in the areas of fighting. All to achieve this result.

George W Bush’s personal fantasy?

Oh, and also reducing liberty across much of the ‘free’ world, especially for anyone who wants to get on a plane without a complete stranger in a uniform either making them stand in a giant microwave or groping them or both. Maybe it’s just me but it doesn’t seem like much of a bargain. In fact it seems like an awful lot of time, effort, money and blood just to get one nutjob who persuaded some people to crash planes into buildings. But at least we can finally knock all that on the head now that someone’s finally shot the bastard, right?

Yeah, right.

Mr Obama added:“The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation’s efforts to defeat al-Qa’ida.

[…]

“Yet his death does not mark the end of our effort.

“There is no doubt that al-Qa’ida will continue to pursue attacks against us.

“We must and will remain vigilant at home and abroad.”

The US State Department immediately issued a global travel alert to all US citizens following the news, warning of “enhanced potential” for anti-American violence.

The US also put its embassies on alert, warning Americans of al-Qa’ida reprisal attacks.

Presumably not the nuclear hell storm variety of reprisal that waterboarding these numpties would suggest – if they’d had a nuke you can be sure they’d have used it by now – but all the same it does seem reasonable to expect that there’ll be some kind of reaction. Which means that after nine years, seven months and twenty-one days, after more than a trillion dollars, after twice as many allied personnel killed than died in the World Trade Centre attacks, after all that we’re still less safe and less free than we were on September 12th 2001. Nine years, seven months, twenty one days, a trillion dollars and thousands of lives and a billion or more people less free than they were.

Osama Bin Living might now be moshing with the black metal band invisible but I’d say that technically he’s still ahead on points.

11 comments for “Nine years, seven months and twenty-one days

1. May 3, 2011 at 7:04 am

“…but all the same it does seem reasonable to expect that there’ll be some kind of reaction.”

Interestingly, the Beeb was reporting yesterday that the US had upped its threat level warning, while we hadn’t.

I hope that was wrong, and we had, while keeping quiet about it. We have far more OBL sympathisers in this country, after all.

• May 3, 2011 at 10:12 am

More than the US with all the Nation of Islam mob? Not sure about that, but in any case I reckon upping the threat level is just more security theatre and something the American government is more into at the moment than most.

• May 3, 2011 at 10:41 am

The Nation of Islam mob never seems very…Islamic, at least to me.

• May 3, 2011 at 11:17 am

I think like a lot of Muslims there’s probably a spectrum in the NoL ranging from moderate to raging nutjob. However, they do use real and perceived grievances to drive wedges along colour lines – you can’t even say racial since they’re happy to carry on among indigenous Australians – in order to convert. When the strategy for proselytisation of any religion or sect involves virtually nailing chips to people’s shoulders it seems likely that radicalisation is going to follow with some of them. If the FBI and the other alphabet people haven’t got a close eye on them I’d be very surprised.

• May 3, 2011 at 10:49 am

Given we’ve been at a “severe” threat level for the UK as a whole since January 2010 there’s probaby no point in raising it, they’ve been thinking that a terrorist attack is highly likely for ages.

Though as they’ve now split NI out from the rest of the UK it seems we’ve only got a strong possibility of an attack the lowest it’s been since August 2006 when they first started telling us this stuff.

2. May 3, 2011 at 7:23 am

Bhutto’s claim was interesting. She was sure he died in 2002.

• May 3, 2011 at 10:20 am

I hadn’t heard that but on balance I think it’s probably him they’ve got now. Like the fake Apollo landings idea it seems like there’d be too many people whose continued long term silence must be relied on for me to believe there’s much else to it. Still, as I’ve since said at mine, using a special ops team whose existence has never been officially acknowledged, possibly setting a new world record for DNA speed testing, and dumping the body in an undisclosed bit of sea before anyone else has had a chance to take a goosey at it wasn’t terribly bright. Not saying it didn’t happen that way, but it’s not the most convincing thing the White House could have wanted for the PRs 🙄

• May 3, 2011 at 11:30 am

I’d agree. Bush would have used it if it had been done in 2002, unless it was a Muslim who got him, which complicates the issue. Does seem to be real now though.

3. May 3, 2011 at 9:58 am

I would contend that the terrorists won, depending on what you use as a yardstick.

Their acts have impinged on the freedoms of all citizens, but particularly travellers. Flying once a year to Costa del Vomit? No biggie. It’s all very exciting anyway and costs you an hour or two extra at the airport.

If you fly twice a month or more it is a real pain in the arse.

I don’t want to sound too arrogant but this is my planet. I will pass this way but once, and I want to see it all. Yet, because of these freaks, by which I mean the bad boys AND the government(s), whole countries are denied to me.

That makes I angry, it does.

CR.

• May 3, 2011 at 10:09 am

Couldn’t agree more, mate. As you probably know from similar discussion in the past I refuse to fly unless time is short or there’s an inconveniently large piece of ocean in my way. The last few trips for me have been overland and despite the extra time and cost it was still worth it to have stuck two fingers up to the security theatre profiteers and to have seen some things I’d never have experienced at 30,000 feet. Recommended to everyone.