Stopping killing with… killing.

So Osmium bin Liner has been killed again, and this time they’ve dumped him in the sea to prevent any more Captain Scarlet-like resurrections. There is much rejoicing in the Western world and the stock market is saying ‘yay’ and putting up the price of everything.

Am I the only one to find this all faintly disturbing?

This was a man, a detestable man it’s true and not one I’d invite round for a bacon sandwich and a whisky, but a human being just the same. He was The Enemy and he was responsible for killing a lot of our people, but he was still a human being.

Why does the stock market rejoice at the death of this man? Why does the West now emulate those dancing tents we were all revolted at after the September 11th bombs? Are we really any different?

Well, no. We’re all the same. All human, and all take delight in the death of an enemy. We regard them as subhuman and they regard us as subhuman and as one of the Denormalised, I can say that it’s not pleasant to be the one regarded as subhuman. It’s not abnormal, it’s the way humans work because deep down we are just bald monkeys with fancy toys.

And despite the imaginative notions of the vegetarians, chimps will eat each other. So will we.

What bothers me here is the faux-outrage displayed by those who think they are superhuman, those who have wheedled their way into power and who now imagine themselves Gods. When the enemy kills some of our people, it’s an act of unspeakable evil. When we kill them, it’s Good and Just and Fair.

It’s neither good nor evil. It’s the way of the world, has been all along and I am certain I will not live to see it change. Even so, I balk at celebrating a death, whether it’s bin Liner, The Dreadful Arnott, Don the Shanker or even the Brown Gorgon. I want such people out of my life, out of any position where they can affect me, but dead? That’s a bit much for me. I oppose the death penalty for many reasons beyond just the possibility of error, so I cannot find it in me to be pleased about any death. Even if it’s someone utterly despicable.

It bothers me greatly that death should be linked to money. It bothers me greatly that our own leaders find it so easy to order death, even though we have no death penalty in this country. The more they do this outside their own population, the easier they will find it when they apply the same rule inside their own population. I suspect they already have.

We have no death penalty. Little Clegg told us that the idea of bringing back the death penalty was as unthinkable to him as the idea of slightly relaxing the smoking ban. So how can a country with no death penalty decide that someone like the Gadfly is a ‘legitimate target’, thereby sentencing him to death without the inconvenience of a trial?
I don’t think bin Liner’s death can be called ‘murder’. He declared war and war is what he got. Starting a war does not guarantee you’ll win. Ask Hitler. Osmium was killed in his own war but that’s no reason to dance in the streets. Unlike with Hitler, his army does not give up when he dies.

Gadfly did not declare war. Declaring him a target is much closer to ordering a murder, Mafia-style. Oh, and it conveniently opens up a whole new war on terror to justify all that security and surveillance. As one door closes, another opens.

So is it national security? Are we safer with bin Liner or even Gadfly dead?

Osmium bin Liner’s death does not help us at all. We are not more free now that he’s dead, in fact we are less free because the security circus now ratchets up another notch. Even in death, the spectre of Osmium bin Liner works to turn us into the oppressive regime he wanted to create, and with the help of our idiot leaders, he continues to succeed.

The war on terror does not end and never will, because it’s not meant to. It’s not a war against them. It’s a war against us.

As for the idea of dumping the body at sea so there would be no ‘shrine’, that was a very stupid and dangerous thing to do. His followers don’t think the way we do. Most of the West-haters aren’t even his followers, but they will now use him as an excuse anyway.

With no grave, there will be many who will refuse to believe he is dead. Somewhere, someone will stage a ‘return from the sea’ spectacle which will galvanise the fundamentalists.

Finally, imagine how we would have reacted if Hitler had killed Churchill then sailed away with the body and dumped it in the sea.

The followers of bin Liner will not be as restrained.

14 comments for “Stopping killing with… killing.

1. May 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Excellent.

2. James Strong
    May 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm

The world is not immediately a safer place after the killing of bin Laden; but it is a better place.
    He was an evil mass-murderer of innocents.It is OK to be happy that he is dead,.

To see just one of the reasons why the West is better than the Islamist enemy look at the occupants of the compound who were NOT killed by the US special forces.

• May 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Yes, I bet Osama is toasting his toes in hell right now, wishing he’d picked a fatter wife! 😛

3. May 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm

‘Am I the only one to find this all faintly disturbing?’

By no means. The chanting triumphant crowd outside the White House beamed live to television screens round the world must surely have done more to advance anti-US feeling that any number of AK47-waving fanatics on Al-Jazeera.

What price the ‘human dignity’ invoked by Obama?

4. patrick Harris
    May 3, 2011 at 1:27 pm

USA – judge, jury and executioner, Cameron, Sarcozy and Burlesconi – puppets on a string.
    What a world it is that awaits our grandchildren.

5. May 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm

“The followers of bin Liner will not be as restrained.”

That’s rather suggesting that they would be anyway.

They are fanatics. You don’t argue or work with fanatics. You kill them.

6. Wolfie
    May 3, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Well that’s the fourth post on the Bin Laden death now and as unedifying and shallow as the other three it was.

Personally I’m in favour of the death penalty, in principal. Not because I have a blood-lust for revenge but because I don’t think the state should be diverting good tax-payer funds towards the upkeep of socially destructive individuals who might best be removed from the gene-pool for the greater good anyway. Then again I’m against it in practice because the state is too incompetent to consistently execute only the guilty and as you say, too preoccupied with diverting good tax-payer funds towards the extrajudicial execution of foreign dignitaries who stand in the way of their political interests.

• May 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I’m not sure what you expected. It’s a topical subject, to I would anticipate that more than one person would comment.

All of us have in slightly different ways speculated on what this might mean. Again, I would expect this. I fail to see how this is unedifying or shallow.

• Wolfie
        May 4, 2011 at 9:02 am

I’ll elucidate…

A good post might tell me something I don’t know (information not widely broadcast), alternatively it can take a set of known facts and weave a new perspective through original analysis. However posts that simply riff of the MSM theme or re-iterate common internet conspiracy theory (half-arsed at that) is simply wasting my time.

His Blog :

• May 4, 2011 at 9:49 am

An opinion piece is just that; an opinion. Our musings on this subject are no more a waste of time than our musings on any other subject – and I intend to carry on musing.

I don’t do conspiracy theories, never have. They are bunk. What we have seen from politicians in the wake of the Jihad is not conspiracy, it is opportunism.

• Wolfie
            May 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm

One can muse from a position of authority and knowledge or one can muse from a position of prejudice and ignorance. You are [all] welcome to chose your weapon but you will get the followers you deserve.

7. May 3, 2011 at 8:43 pm

To steal a line from a U.S. blogger, “Whose Grave Would Jesus Piss On?”

8. May 4, 2011 at 5:25 am

Dignity? Fuck that, he deserved a slow death and got a quick one; I guess that’s the compassion.

Evil shouldn’t be allowed to linger simply because of someone’s sensibilities that may be hurt.

When Good beats Evil, good men/women will cheer. I’m sorry for the people that don’t feel joy when such men are wiped off the face of earth. Osama bin Laden will NEVER kill anyone or direct any killing again. That makes for a great celebration.

9. Bill Brunton
    May 4, 2011 at 6:59 am

Hey, mate. Imagine for a second you are at a job you are not too fond of, a decade ago in an office building, and glancing up from your desk at the window, you see a 747 about to splatter you in the face. For a writer, you have a sqirmy take on the issue. I expected a bit better. Bill in SD