Mass Medication on the Menu Again

July 19, 2012 9 Comments
By

There is a trend that has been bubbling away for a long time now and every so often the news agencies publish a puff pieces about it; mass medication of the old fogeys.

Every year up to 200,000 people die of cardiovascular disease but if everyone in the UK over 50 took the pill that number could be more than halved, according to scientists from Queen Mary, University of London.

Well, I can say with absolute certainly that everyone over 50 will not be taking a daily polypill. There are at least two in this household.

If I have an ailment, then I will take the necessary medicine to resolve it. I will not take a cluster of unnecessary medicines some of which have nasty side effects “just in case”.

Okay, I guess my objections mirror those who opposed Edward Jenner’s vaccination programme. However, he was fighting communicable disease –  a particularly nasty one at that, so there was a rationale behind his thinking. And, frankly, I generally go along with the idea of vaccination as a means of herd immunity. However, we are not talking about that here. What is happening is an attempt by the new puritans to conflate communicable disease with lifestyle risks, thereby imposing their twisted views on the rest of us. And because many of us do not go along with the mantra laid down for us, we are bombarded with this type of propaganda to frighten us into compliance.

We do not need to be mass medicated. If not doing so means I get to enjoy fewer years, then so be it. Better that than to end up dribbling, incontinent and incoherent in a bath chair, unable to even go to the toilet unaided. Let me go before that happens, please…

9 Responses to Mass Medication on the Menu Again

1. cuffleyburgers
    July 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hear hear

2. Uncle Badger
    July 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

One day the truth about statins is going to come out – and when it does there will be some serious hell to pay.

Of the limited number of people I know who have been prescribed them (including members of my own family) around three quarters have suffered side effects ranging from the mild to the terrifying.

AFAIAC they can use their polypills as suppositories.

• July 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Only two members of my family have taken statins. One stopped because the side-effects were crippling him but the other was not so lucky; when he became ill, his doctor insisted he was only suffering from statin side-effects – “We’ll change the brand; that’ll sort it!” – right up until a second opinion spotted it was actually stage 3 cancer.

I can speak for at least a dozen of us surviving relatives who have no intention of ever taking permanent drugs that could mask the symptoms of a life-threatening disease.

I heartily concur about the polypills!

3. ivan
    July 19, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Maybe I’ve been reading too much Science Fiction because this sounds like a story in which they dose the over 50s so that when they reach 65 they drop dead.

4. July 19, 2012 at 10:28 pm

It would be interesting to have that pill independently analysed to see everything which has gone into it.

• July 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Never mind independent analysis; the information here doesn’t exactly inspire confidence..

The version of the polypill that they tested contained the blood pressure drugs amlodipine, losartan and hydrochlorothiazide together with cholesterol-lowering simvastatin. Aspirin – included in earlier formulations – has been dropped because it can cause stomach bleeds.

5. July 20, 2012 at 3:31 am

I noticed that this came out at exactly the same time as the “worldwide pandemic of lack of exercise” which puzzled me since how will they be able to tax it away? Simples, charge for polypills with penalties for those who refuse to take their medicine.

6. David A. Evans
    July 20, 2012 at 11:06 am

Short term memory loss is one of the side effects of statins.

I was prescribed Simvastatin for high cholesterol and after a while thought I was in early onset Altzheimer’s. Stopped taking the statin.

I’ll take my chances with the cholesterol thank you very much!

DaveE.

• July 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Probably best.

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.