”I said ‘Do you speaka my language?’…”

November 12, 2012 30 Comments
By

A Derby training centre that helps unemployed people get work is being overwhelmed

Hurrah! The tough austerity regime is clearly working to force unemployed Britons into empl…

Oh. Hang on.

… by an influx of jobseekers from eastern Europe.

Ummm. That’s a shocker.

Mohammed Sharief, chief executive of Normanton-based Jobs Education and Training, said his staff were nearing “breaking point” because of the surge.

And he said police have had to be called as people desperate for work get frustrated.

I bet that doesn’t happen with the home-grown unemployed!

But why are they unable to find jobs here? I’m constantly told by the media that they are better educated than our home-grown unemployed, they are good, hard workers, doing the jobs for low pay that our underclass won’t bother getting out of bed for.

What gives?

In Normanton and Arboretum, a huge number of eastern Europeans are desperate for employment.
But their lack of English and limited computer literacy means many are struggling to get work and are relying on the centre for help completing job applications.

Ah. I see. That puts quite a different complexion on things, doesn’t it?

“There are a limited number of jobs in Derby and the clients we are dealing with have no English, no work experience and no qualifications. Realistically, what job are they going to get? They can do manufacturing, cleaning and packing but those jobs are very limited.

*sigh*

And no. We aren’t, it seems, talking about people who haven’t unpacked their suitcase yet!

Slovakian Bohuslav Cervnak, 24, came to Derby two years ago to give his two children a better quality of life.

Speaking via a translator, he said: “The problem is I’m not able to speak English. When I go and see someone at an agency about a job, they say they can’t give it to me. They say I have to learn English first.”

You’ve been here two years. TWO YEARS! And you haven’t learnt English yet?

Nor are you the only one, so it can’t be the accents that are stopping you:

Dasa Balogova, 23, arrived in Derby from Slovakia, seven months ago and has also been unable to find work due to her lack of English.

She said: “I’m applying for any job – cleaning, packing – I don’t mind what it is. I came to England for a better life. I wasn’t told how hard it would be to get a job.

“My aunt, grandfather, sister and cousin came to England. Some work and some are on Jobseekers’ Allowance.”

/facepalm

Mr Sharief said JET received funding from JobCentre Plus to help jobseekers who cannot speak English.

He said that had almost run out and yet hundreds of people, mainly Eastern European, were arriving.

And we can’t stop them, apparently. Three cheers for the EU, eh?

Councillor Fareed Hussain, cabinet member for adults and health at Derby City Council said: “The difficulty we have is that funding is so tight at the council that we are still trying to find the money to provide the statutory services we have to.

And more ‘charities’ will bid for taxpayers money to help them.

Can we leave yet? Please?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to ”I said ‘Do you speaka my language?’…”

1. Mark
    November 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

Marmite sandwich, not Vegemite, for me, please.

• November 13, 2012 at 6:02 am

It’s all the same stuff, isn’t it? ;)

• Mark in Mayenne
        November 13, 2012 at 7:54 am

What???? How can you even think that? Time for a serious debate about an important issue here.

• Furor Teutonicus
          November 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

Quite right! Marmite is MUCH superior….when you need to quickly repair a landing strip, pair of hobnail boots, or paint a stealth coating onto a Frigate.

• Mark
            November 14, 2012 at 1:13 pm

It has stealth properties too? Well I never! It continues to surprise and impress.

2. November 12, 2012 at 1:15 pm

She just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich:

link to youtu.be

1:11

3. November 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm

““I think the situation is something we have to raise with our MPs and Government because, if these people do not get support, then they will lose their benefits, and so deprivation will increase.””

That’s not why we should be raising it…..

Send them back. The deprivation might not get any better but at least they will be able to complain in the local lingo.

4. Andrew Duffin
    November 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

“There are [sic] a limited number of jobs in Derby”

Well unless you are a Nuclear Engineer, or a Jet Turbine Fan Designer, or a “Rotating Machinery” specialist, or indeed any kind of highly-qualified real live engineer.

I think Rolls-Royce would love to hear from any of those.

But it’s not those we’re talking about, is it?

5. Tatty
    November 12, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Bulgarians and romanians next up. **Mohammed had better prepare for more incoming.

**The irony. :|

• November 13, 2012 at 6:03 am

:twisted:

6. Voice of Reason
    November 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm

But why are they choosing Britain, when there are no jobs?

• AndrewWS
      November 12, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Because there are benefits!

• mikebravo
      November 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Hmmmm..
      Could be for the freebies I suppose.

7. November 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

“I came to England for a better life. I wasn’t told how hard it would be to get a job.”

So who’s out there in Slovakia, spreading the news that a better life is on offer here? And would they kindly shut up?

Or, failing that, perhaps Ms Cervnak, having seen for herself, could be persuaded to perform a valuable public service and go back to enlighten her fellow-countrymen and -women.

• ivan
      November 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Hear, hear.

• November 13, 2012 at 6:03 am

It’s probably the Slovakian government!

• November 13, 2012 at 8:05 am

Good thought – hey, couldn’t this work both ways?

If only there were some way of firmly convincing the unnecessary elements of our population that there is a wondrous Shangri-La somewhere else in Europe!

After all, it would have worked with Neighbours, but for Australia’s immigration rules.

• Furor Teutonicus
      November 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

They are, or at least WERE, running adverts for workers from the Foriegn office, and articles about how to claim benefits, in Britain, in Poland, Bulgaria and all of what used to be Yougoslavia, up until last year. Could be they still do.

What I want to know is, why have all the bloody Tinks here (Zigeuner), or “Roma” got bloody broad Manchester or Birmingham accents???

Was there perhaps, 10 years ago, a coach load of Manchester/Birmingham N.U.T members that got lost on a “fact finding mission”?

8. Robbo
    November 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hmm, some German friends of mine moved to Sweden to look for work. They could not get a ‘right to reside’ unless they found employment within three months.

Maybe it’s not the EU’s fault, maybe it’s the UK’s.

• Furor Teutonicus
      November 13, 2012 at 10:22 am

Germany is the same. No work after three months, then “FUCK OFF PAL!” (only in German), and that goes for “citizens” of ALL E.U countries as well.

(Not Austria or Switzerland. We have had “Special arrangements” with them for bloody centuaries.)

Remember sometime last year when Italy through a load of French out? Or was it France chucking Romans….? Na one of the two. The fact is, they got away with it, because the E.U “court” could not DO anything!

Someone should tell Commyron.

9. Twenty_Rothmans
    November 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm

The elephant in the room is that if they cannot speak English, it’s not _just_ because they weren’t brought up here.

@Andrew Duffin

“I think Rolls-Royce would love to hear from any of those.”
    Well, you know what they do to simulate birdstrike.
    “Hey, Bohuslav! I want you to stand right here”

And yes, the irony is more irony than pure Fe.

10. The Travelling Toper
    November 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Interesting to note lack of English sounding names in the article – rather like a Premiership football team.

11. November 12, 2012 at 7:49 pm

” “as people desperate for work get frustrated.”…
    I bet that doesn’t happen with the home-grown unemployed”

Really? You think British unemployed people don’t get desperate for work and frustrated?

Are you perhaps representing a large group by a small minority of its members?

I know graduates who have applied for the most menial of jobs to avoid getting a record of living on benefits and get told there are dozens of applicants for each individual job, and get rejected, again and again, and get desperate, and frustrated. Menial unskilled labour, I am talking of, not the graduate jobs they are trained for.

• johnnyrvf
      November 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I rather doubt that the graduate jobs they have trained for are in the Science/Engineering industries as there is an acute shortage of properly qualified people to fill these vacant positions, unlike the far more easy and much less disciplined social sciences qualifications. :roll:

• November 12, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Actually some are indeed in science and engineering, and some are qualified teachers. I read about the supposed shortage of teachers but I know of good teachers who can’t get work. There can be an official teaching “shortage” at the same time as local authorities will not recruit to make up the shortage. I do also know there are many unemployed graduates in the other areas too, of course, and trained in subjects they should probably never have been trained in. But my point is that they are British, they are desperate for work and they are frustrated, whereas the suggestion I was commenting on was that such people do not exist. There is also a huge army of highly competent and qualified British people in their early fifties upwards who have been made redundant, largely due to ageism, and are similarly desperate for work and are frustrated. Debate in this area seems driven by myth and pub lore, to a large extent.

• ivan
          November 13, 2012 at 9:29 am

From what I have seen of the latest crop of engineering graduates the degree just about qualifies them to sweep the floor. Most of them are incapable of writing coherent sentences and as for mathematics, we don’t want to open that can of worms.

In my day an engineering degree meant that you knew the subject and had the ability to use that knowledge knowing that you did not know it all, now,,, who knows.

• November 13, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Tis true.

12. Greg Tingey
    November 13, 2012 at 8:36 am

And, of course our wonderful guvmint & the terminally incompetent DafT are trying to ensure there are FEWER jobs in Derby & more in Japan & Germany, by crapping on Bombardier/Derby works …..

13. Furor Teutonicus
    November 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

XX “Some employers tell the clients they can’t be given the job because they can’t read the health and safety signs.”XX

I have said before, probably here, but on one of the blogers home sites that write here. My hobby, one of manny, is to apply for jobs. Even though I don’t need ANOTHER one.

One firm told me I could not have the job because…. “All the health and safety signs are written in Polish or Russian”!!!! :???:

Looking around the factory, during the “interview tour”*, aye, so they were. :shock:

*You know the sort of thing; “You havn’t got the job, but we are going to show you the fucking factory any way pal!” kind of attitude.

14. microdave
    November 13, 2012 at 9:51 pm

That works both ways – I remember reading about a packing factory in East Anglia where the majority of workers were Portuguese (I think). When indigenous locals tried getting a job they were told that they would need to learn Portuguese, since all the H&S training and notices were in that language…

United Kingdom Time

Email us for now via either James' or Julia's sites until we set up a new email here or follow us on Twitter

Comments policy

No to press regulation

Please sign the petition - click pic: blogoff

Contributors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Angry Exile
Bucko
Chuckles
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
Sackerson
The Quiet Man
Witterings from Witney

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux