General tomfoolery

November 22, 2012 24 Comments
By

Nicolites: The ecig to avoid.

Nicolites are advertising their electronic cigarette in The Telegraph. The advert is simply one long list of Tobacco Control Industry lies; it reads like an ASH, ‘how to’ manual.

In 2010, it was estimated by public health charity, Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) that UK smokers spent a collective £17.6 billion on tobacco. With surveys suggesting that around two thirds of current smokers would like to stop, many have begun searching for more cost-effective and health-friendly alternatives.

With tobacco claiming more than 100,000 lives each year it is well known to be the biggest cause of preventable death and therefore the biggest strain on NHS resources. ASH claims that smoking costs the NHS approximately £2.7 billion a year for the treatment of conditions caused by it. This figure is also responsible for covering the costs of hospital admission, GP consultations and prescriptions.

Aside from illnesses caused by smoking, the NHS is also put under pressure from patients being submitted following house fires. (Seriously? You’re going with house fires? Ed.)

It recently emerged that smokers are costing the economy £1.4 billion a year by taking an average of 2.7 days more sick leave per annum than their non-smoking colleagues.

smokers are 33 per cent more likely to miss work, resulting in lowered production levels. This news comes without taking into account time lost through smoking breaks.

Nicolites are hopeful that more and more people will wake up to the devastating effects of tobacco and save money and more importantly their lives, by giving electronic cigarettes a try.

That’s an advert totally made up from dubunked Tobacco Control Industry nonsense. That’s an ecig that I won’t be bothering with. Here’s another advert – I’m currently smoking one of these.

Ecigs may be the future for drivers though. The ban on smoking in cars is back on the agenda, and with junk studies like these, it’s probably not too far off.

The researchers measured concentrations of fine particulate matter (PM2.5), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH), carbon monoxide and nicotine in the back of a car, at the height of a child, while a volunteer smoked three cigarettes, spread over an hour, in the front of the car.

In study 1, the front windows were completely open and the back windows completely shut; in study 2, all four windows were open 10cm. In all cases the car was stationary with its engine off.

Notice the problem with this story?

In all cases the car was stationary with its engine off.

No air movement means no ventilation. If that car was trucking along, all the smoke would get sucked out.

The authors pointed out that levels of harmful pollutants found inside the car were higher than those found in restaurants, bars, and casinos.

Really? Would that be the bars, casinos and restaurants where smoking is banned?

Maybe smoking in cars should be banned for the sake of the kiddies though. It turns out second hand smoke is far more deadlier than any of us first thought.

[...] even brief exposure to secondhand smoke can cause a heart attack, the CDC said.

Read that again: brief exposure to secondhand smoke can cause a heart attack.

I know Leg-Iron is working on causing spontaneous heart attacks among the anti smokers, but that kind of talent comes with lots of practice.

I defy the CDC to provide evidence of just one person who has gone down clutching their chest and turning blue after a whiff of ciggy smoke. When did the CDC change from being a shadowy government agency that bombs remote African villages to prevent Dustin Hoffman, to a bog standard fake charity?

An finally, just for laughs, looking like Jimmy Saville is now banned.

St Cuthbert’s – one of the university’s most successful college sides – has been banned from playing for the rest of the term after first-year players dressed up as young girls, second years wore Savile outfits, and third and fourth years came as police officers or Panorama journalists.

Bit harsh!

24 Responses to General tomfoolery

1. November 22, 2012 at 9:42 pm

What is the primary purpose of a light switch? Most people would say that it is to turn the light on. In a slightly counter-intuitive way, that is not so. The primary purpose is to turn the light off.

You have to think about it a bit…..

The same sort of counter-intuitive thought must also apply to cars, it seems. They are not for moving from A to B in. They are for sitting in, while stationary, with children in the back seat, for an hour, while smoking three cigarettes, with the engine switched off. If ‘scientists’ say so, then it must be true. WHY have I been allowed to be deceived for so long by car adverts?

• David A. Evans
      November 23, 2012 at 2:12 am

I’ve asked the light switch question on my Farcebook page because the popular answer initially surprised me.

DaveE.

• November 23, 2012 at 7:28 am

Whats the popular answer then? To turn light on?

• David A. Evans
          November 23, 2012 at 11:14 am

Dunno. :sad:

No-one answered. :lol:

DaveE.

• November 23, 2012 at 11:45 am

Heh! :mrgreen:

• David A. Evans
              November 23, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Knowing some of my friends, I think primary had them confused. :twisted:

DaveE.

• David A. Evans
          November 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm

My smartarse son said “To be pressed up and down.”

• November 23, 2012 at 7:27 am

Strange how these anti smoking studies don’t quite mirror real life but still give the drones enough to make them believe.

2. SteveW
    November 22, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I’m biased in this instance, but I’m currently using one of these
    link to facebook.com
    But feel the need to declare that I set up the design project that produced it and am now relying on this link to facebook.com to provide for me and mine (hopefully).

If this blatant advertising of myself is against site policy at all, then please accept my apologies and delete away.

• David A. Evans
      November 23, 2012 at 2:13 am

This site is about freedom.

You’ve at least declared your interest which is more than our robbing MPs do!

DaveE.

• SteveW
        November 23, 2012 at 9:11 am

Cursed with having integrity, it’s a bind :-)

• November 23, 2012 at 7:28 am

Now that’s a cool looking ecig.

• November 23, 2012 at 7:32 am

Just do us a favour and don’t advertise them by taking a swipe at smokers like the Nicolites advert :smile:

• SteveW
        November 23, 2012 at 9:07 am

That I would never do mate.
        British design and manufacture is the USP on that one – and the fact that it performs like a beast :-)
        You’re based in Lancs aren’t you? Bob in for a coffee if you happen to be passing through Bury – I’m generally good for a senseless rant and a drop of home made juice – currently I’m using a blend of Irish Cream, Kahlua, coffee and chocolate, which makes for a world of flavour.

• SteveW
          November 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

Oddly, I had quite a public spat with the editor of SpinFuel over exactly that issue – their articles were (and to a lesser extent still do) continuously taking snide digs at smokers/smoking, referring to tabs as smellies etc…

Piss poor, short-sighted and unnecessary.

• November 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

“”Piss poor, short-sighted and unnecessary.””
            Agreed

• November 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

I have some days off coming in December. I’ll try to do that.

• November 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Will you be there on Friday morning?

3. Voice of Reason
    November 23, 2012 at 12:25 am

I can think of a number of non-smokers I know who act as though a swiff of cigarette smoke will cause them to keel over.

• David A. Evans
      November 23, 2012 at 2:06 am

I’ve come across those too. My better halfs daughter for one.

DaveE.

• November 23, 2012 at 7:30 am

Oh yes, a whiff of ciggy smoke can certainly cause play acting, but an actual heart attack?

4. Furor Teutonicus
    November 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

XX I know Leg-Iron is working on causing spontaneous heart attacks among the anti smokers,XX

:-) :-) :-)

I am working on translating his method into German. See how it works here. :mrgreen:

5. David A. Evans
    November 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Is this the Leg-Iron story you’re referring to?

DaveE.

6. Tatty
    November 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm

The rest is…roughly translated as…”We’d like a piece of those billions if the taxman don’t want it and if we can get it by slagging you off so as you don’t notice it then that’s great. ”

They forget that people can not only read but comprehend.

Not sure if that’s a strong point in schools these days…we used to have entire english lessons on Comprehension…and especially not when my own children are told to cut ‘n’ paste from Wiki articles for homework. :|

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.