Lazy Sunday afternoon

December 2, 2012 31 Comments
By

Never let it be said that we neglect you atheists. Here’s something to gladden your hearts:

Isn’t that great? We can all just slouch along to our Brave New World now, secure in the knowledge that we can do it all ourselves. Look around – we’re doing just fine, aren’t we?

Source H/T Chuckles

………..

Perhaps this wasn’t really an OoL type post but as it’s dedicated to our Greg, LR and Voice of Reason, among others, and as those guys do not come to my blog, then this post had to come to them. Have a lovely Sunday [what remains of it] folks.

31 Responses to Lazy Sunday afternoon

1. Peter S.
    December 2, 2012 at 2:25 pm

So, Christians don’t go to church often enough to ensure the building’s upkeep. And this is the fault of non-Christians how, exactly?

2. Single Acts of Tyranny
    December 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I’m not certain of the point you are trying to make here ?

• December 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Neither am I. I quite like looking at churches when out and about as the architecture and building work involved can be breathtaking.

• Greg Tingey
      December 3, 2012 at 9:17 am

He isn’t (trying to make a point, that is).
      He’s emoting all over the landscape, & brain is clearly not switched to “ON”.
      See also my other comments, below.

3. Westerlyman
    December 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I have been an atheist for 40 years. I love beautiful churches, religious art, sacred music. I do not have to believe in god to appreciate that great artists inspired by their beliefs have produced wonderful things. Why would you assume that an atheist would enjoy looking at pictures of a beautiful religious building that was destroyed through neglect. I am saddened by it and humanity id poorer for it.

• December 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I agree.

• Daedalus
      December 2, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Totally agree with you on this one, some the greatest buildings in the world and most certainly the finest music have been brought about by people totally committed to the Christian religion. Some of the sacred music particularly, really does make the heart swell and the eyes water. I can fully understand why people have “religious” moments when they hear it. The faith of the people who wrote the music shines through and when you look at the architecture of the buildings from the 700-1100′s it’s almost impossible to think how they managed it.
      I’ve not been in a church in donkeys years for the purpose it was built for, but seeing this above is awful.

Daedalus

• Greg Tingey
        December 3, 2012 at 9:16 am

Some the greatest tortures in the world and most certainly the finest persecutions have been brought about by people totally committed to the Christian religion.

I only changed two words!

4. Tatty
    December 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Like LR I love looking at churches and admiring the architecture and workmanship. I’ve never been the same since Pillars Of The Earth though that might have summat to do with Rufus Sewell…

Oops…a teeny bit of lusting on a sunday has to be sacreligious, no ? I apologise :oops:

• December 2, 2012 at 4:58 pm

That sword in the guts didn’t do him any good, though, did it?

5. December 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I don’t see the relevance of this post to the laudable agenda of the OoL website, unless to give thanks at least for the freedom we have nowadays in not being forced to attend church, but somehow I don’t think that was the intention.

And as I said at James’s place in response to his: ”Look around – we’re doing just fine, aren’t we?” Was there any time in humanity’s long history when humanity as a whole could look around and say we were doing better than now? I’d be interested to know what times are deemed to have been better for the world and all its people than nowadays.

• December 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Actually, we are doing pretty well – without any evidence of supernatural help. From hunter gatherer to high tech in a couple of million years – yup, overall, not too bad and, yes, we did it all by ourselves.

• December 2, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I agree Longrider. Of course there are ups and downs on the way and we have to keep fighting in defence of our hard won liberties, which are facing some assaults again now, as they always have done and always will do. And the freedom not to believe in any particular religion, or in any religion at all, is one that has only partially been won, worldwide. We need to fight on to expand that freedom, and I would expect anyone interested in liberty to agree. Which is why the only way I can make sense of this post appearing on this site is as a celebration of the freedom to oppose the tyranny of religion and to be able to choose what we think for ourselves. (I am not an atheist, btw, but an agnostic – I aint got a clue what’s really going on but am pretty sure it’s not what’s written in silly old books made up by long dead people).

6. Bill
    December 2, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Surely this has more to do with the lack of pulling power certain religions have these days other than ‘pleasing atheists’?

• December 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

There are few things so mind numbingly tedious as a church service – a football match, perhaps.

• December 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Wonder if you’ll say that on the other side. :)

• December 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Football matches are pretty much just as tedious whichever side you are on James :)

• Greg Tingey
          December 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

BLACKMAIL: – & you are trying to Blackmail us.

The FIRST response of christians & muslims, well, almost every time, the first response … “You’ll be sorry after you are dead!”

There is rule here, against personal, ad hominem abuse, but I’m very tempted, given the nastyness of that particular piece of petty religious spite.

PLEASE, don’t do that again!

• Tatty
            December 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

Oh dear… “emoticons” can be inexplicably and utterly lost on the “emotional”. :roll:

Perhaps ditch the smiley face and give a full explanation…with particular regard to irony and humour… behind every single word you write in future, eh James ;)

• December 3, 2012 at 11:33 am

Don’t worry Greg but you do see what I mean about the sense of humour [or lack of it] of the rationalist, don’t you?

Tatty’s advice is pretty good.

And to answer SAofT and LR, good people who deserve a reply – that was the point I was making [within the comments thread].

Good to see the aesthetic appreciation though – Turner Prize is coming up soon. Shall we run an anti-turner prize campaign for offences against art?

• Greg Tingey
              December 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

And what has this “response” have to do with the non-subject under discussion?

And who claims the “rationalists” don’t have a sense of humour?
              This is another deliberate lie, like the one about emotionless humorless scientists.
              Utter crap.

• David A. Evans
                December 3, 2012 at 3:27 pm

So you’re admitting to not being a rationalist then Greg?

DaveE. ;-)

7. cascadian
    December 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I’m going to guess Detroit, and if I am right, this is what happens when people worship government and foolish notions that one race should support another for perceived past wrongs. Not really an atheist v religion arguement.

8. Jeff Wood
    December 2, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Well, the state of that church does not gladden this atheist’s heart. It looks as if it was a bonny place once.

When I visit a church to have a look, I always leave something to contribute to its upkeep. I do not expect the parishioners to do it all themselves. Church architecture is part of civilisation, and we all have an interest in that.

9. December 2, 2012 at 8:36 pm

There was an abandoned church in town where bands had parties, later made famous by a certain rock group. All that remains today is the steeple.

link to youtube.com

A nice pic here:

link to flickr.com

10. December 2, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Agree with all the comments admiring the magnificence of church architecture by the way. I’d like to see this wonderful building, and others like it, restored and maintained as places where we could go to celebrate life, nature, the cosmos and human endeavour without having to sign up to any particular form of belief. All the atheists and agnostics I have ever discussed the issue with feel much the same in their admiration of the buildings.

11. Penseivat
    December 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Like other athiests above, I often enjoy walking round churches and cathedrals when abroad, purely for the aesthetic pleasure in the construction and artwork. I have no joy in my heart to see a church in this condition. However, if it was a mosque………..? :twisted:

12. Greg Tingey
    December 3, 2012 at 9:09 am

It WAS a very attractive building.
    It still is a very attractive ruin.
    Where is it?

The building is (almost) irrelevant to the supposed subject that the obvious idiot posting this is trying to make an issue of.
    [There are exceptions, Sacré-Cour in Paris is one, where the maryolatry makes me want to vomit]
    The real subject, that gets atheists going – and many thanks to the other postes, above, under this heading – is the deliberately blind (like I’ll just put this blindfold on, so I can’t see things) following of, in this case, Bronze-Age goatherders’ myths of an undtectable BigSkyFairy.

What is this to do with the ruin of an attractive building?

13. Greg Tingey
    December 5, 2012 at 10:53 am

In fact, this is a classic example of a brainwahsed person (as all religious believer are) putting their OWN VLAUEA on to someone else’s supposed judgement.

It is a classic of religions that they boast of, & publicly revel in the destruction &/or vandalisation of OTHER religions’ (or even sects’) places of worship.
    Think Taliban & the Bhudda-statues, or puritans smashing statues in churches, or the behaviour of the OSD, generally.

Whereas atheists are much more likely to go: “Nice building, pity about the use”
    Incidentally, that ticks another box for communism being a religion, not only does it persecute the competition, it also engaged in destruction of churches, didn’t it?

I’m remided of the terminally-insane Anne Coulter, talking about “atheists having sacraments” … err, no, we don’t have any sacraments, that’s the whole point!

United Kingdom Time

Email us for now via either James' or Julia's sites until we set up a new email here or follow us on Twitter

Comments policy

No to press regulation

Please sign the petition - click pic: blogoff

Contributors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Angry Exile
Bucko
Chuckles
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
Sackerson
The Quiet Man
Witterings from Witney

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.
WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux