Chortle

December 13, 2012 17 Comments
By

Capitalism is wonderful to behold. It sees opportunity in everything –  even plain packaging.

A GOLD Coast company has done what the tobacco industry could not — cover up the confronting images on new plain-packaged cigarettes.

Box Wraps, based at Yatala, will today unveil a range of designs for a purpose-built sticker that wraps around cigarette packets in seconds.

The stickers are a direct challenge to the Federal Government’s new plain packaging laws and will be marketed with the slogan, “It’s your box, it’s your choice”.

Laugh? I nearly pissed myself. If nothing else, it revives my faith in the human spirit in the face of adversity. The socialists and the puritans may try to make this world a bleak, grey landscape of eternal conformity, but there will always be the enterprising rebels kicking back. And jolly good luck to them, too. I wish this company every success with their product as the anti-smoking brigade try to stop their brains imploding.

The company’s website, which sells the stickers on a subscription basis from $1.75, crashed under the demand this morning.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Not that this outcome was at all foreseeable, eh?

H/T Chris Snowdon.

17 Responses to Chortle

1. ivan
    December 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I am surprised that someone hasn’t thought to bring back the metal cigarette case of years ago – they could even incorporate a lighter in them considering the number of people I see pushing lighters back into cigarette packets.

• December 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Give ‘em time.

• David A. Evans
      December 13, 2012 at 6:07 pm

You don’t get out enough. Metal ciggy cases are on every market stall catering to hardware & smoking goodies. (Strange combination I know.)

DaveE.

• December 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm

But the act of taking the smelly sticks out of the nasty packet and putting them in the metal case will still put the horrible pictures in their minds and make them angry at the need to ignore them. The shops slapping the blank label on as a “wrapping” service before handing them over is probably more likely to catch on. Not that I give a damn, other than about the threat to tax revenues if people stop buying the horrible stuff.

• David A. Evans
          December 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm

But you’re not an anti-smoker, just don’t like people smoking around you which most, but not all, smokers will respect.
          What you and anti-smokers don’t get is that smokers are pretty ambivalent when it comes to health issues. They know but simply couldn’t give a shit.
          They’re also bigger drinkers than the anti-smokers which is why the blanket smoking bans have been so destructive to the pub trade.

DaveE.

• December 13, 2012 at 8:34 pm

What on Earth makes you think I “don’t get” that? It’s rather obvious to me they don’t care that much about the “health issues”. You have totally invented an attitude I don’t have. I think they may well care about the irritation of having the photos slapped on their packs (though I may be wrong about that) but I certainly don’t think they can be much concerned about what you call the health issues if they keep paying out a fortune to burn the stuff and suck its smoke in.

• ivan
        December 13, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Sorry David but non of the local tabacs here has anything like that and those are the only places you can buy cigarettes and pipe tobacco – I smoke a pipe and have done so for 50 years.

2. john in cheshire
    December 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm

A good early Christmas present; and I don’t smoke.

• December 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Neither do I, but I detest absolutely the anti-smoking puritans.

• john in cheshire
        December 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Me too. Though I’d extend that to detesting the intolerance of socialists (of all persuasions).

• Bunny
          December 14, 2012 at 5:24 am

+1 to the sentiments

3. December 13, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I don’t smoke and I don’t like other people’s smoke getting up my nose but I did very much enjoy that news and I wish them every success. Actually it sounds like win-win for everybody except smokers, since it just adds more expense to the incredible cost of smoking already. I often stand behind people buying their fags and cannot understand how they can afford it, when they are often clearly rather poor and dressed in near rags. Then I contemplate that maybe it is the cost of feeding the smoking habit that makes them rather poor and forced to dress in near rags. But they are welcome to smoke all they wish so long as they don’t harm anyone else in doing so. I expect shops will soon offer to wrap the packs in the wrappers before the transaction is complete, and with the packs hidden out of sight soon the smokers will never even see the nasty photos.

4. Junican
    December 13, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I don’t think that it is a matter of not seeing the pictures, Don. It’s a matter of the pictures not being there in the first place. Does anyone believe that the pictures are from smokers and only smokers? And that there is any proof that the conditions pictured are caused by smoking?
    It would be very interesting to see what would happen (legally) if shopkeepers started to cover the packets with their own stickers with the name of the brand on them for their own convenience. Is there any legal reason that they should not? In fact, does the display ban stop shopkeepers from putting pictures of cigarette packets on the doors of the cupboards?

• December 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I was discussing the situation given that the pictures WILL be there though. Not having them there is not an option unless the decisions are reversed. I don’t know the answer to your other questions. They would be very stupid if the pictures were not taken from smokers, but of course it is usually impossible to prove definitively what caused any specific case of the things being shown. The evidence is statistical. I think there may be lots of interesting legal issues and challenges thrown up as people try to cover up the images. I am not anti-smoking by the way – people should be free to do whatever they want to themselves so long as they don’t affect others.

• Mudplugger
      December 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm

One solution could be for the shop to provide a colourful and attractive ‘VAT Receipt’, self-adhesively applied to the packet – thus satisfying both HMRC (proving the pack was legally purchased and not smuggled/faked) and the smoker at the same time.
      And who could possibly criticise a retailer for simply providing a receipt ?

5. Rossa
    December 14, 2012 at 7:45 am

Did our weekly shop in Morrisons yesterday and asked the lady on the Customer Service counter if hiding the cigarettes out of sight behind cupboard doors had reduced the number of cigarettes they sold. No, sales have in fact increased. Less is more it seems in the packaging.

Wonder what they will do next to sell even more of the nicotine sticks? Osborne needs more money to spend on greening Africa so he’ll just have to get even more creative. How about selling loose fags by the kilo? Or a pick and mix of brands but not knowing which fag is made by which company?

6. December 14, 2012 at 8:33 am

Not just the homegrown variety of course but the globalists are hellbent on doing it too – just look at the EU. I’ve lived at the end of such a thing in Russia and you wouldn’t wish it on your worst enemy.

Well, maybe on him.

United Kingdom Time

Email us at contact orphans of liberty [all one word] at gmail dot com

Authors

For more about these renegades, click on the name to go to a short profile:

AK Haart
Churchmouse
James Higham
JuliaM
The Quiet Man

Orphans logo

Feel free to take this for your sidebar.