Well, There’s A Shocker!

I mean, that it isn’t science or engineering students whinging about this, it’s the ‘B’ Ark Studies crowd:

Nadia Ayed, 21, a psychology student at Cambridge who signed the petition, says the practice fosters a competitive attitude towards education. “Many individuals will find it distressing, and it can induce negative psychological effects, such as lower self-esteem, shame and anxiety, which hugely affect wellbeing.”

Ayed says the system also encourages competitiveness, “with people not wanting to share their notes, and an ‘in it to win it’ attitude among students”.

Louis Reynolds, 23, who is studying for an MPhil in sociology at Cambridge, says: “I had my grades published in public last year and found the whole experience both bizarre and archaic. The examiners are not allowed to know our names, so why should the general public?

“People take photos of the grades and post them all across social media and tag people in them – this is the epitome of grade shaming, irrelevant of the actual marks that somebody received and their thoughts on them.”

Let me translate: “WHIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!”

Christ, I can’t see how we’re going to survive the next decade, let alone the next century, if we keep churning out people so utterly unable to handle the slightest little setback or disappointment…

A spokesman for the University of Cambridge says: “This is an age-old tradition. If any student feels uncomfortable and wants their name to not be published they can ask their senior tutor for exemption.”

Yeah, asking something’s probably ‘triggering’ too…

9 comments for “Well, There’s A Shocker!

1. ivan
    May 22, 2015 at 11:38 am

This is what we got from the Tone’s ‘edjukashon, edjukashon, edjukashon’.

Maybe we went back to the old system of the universities setting the GCE ‘O’ and ‘A’ level exams and then letting them select the very best to offer places to we might just start to rise above this.

Coupled with that those ‘universities’ that were polytechnics should revert back because we also need people with a good technical education.

It won’t happen and so Idiocracy moves a step closer to being a documentary.

• May 31, 2015 at 6:00 am

I used to think we could stem the tide and now…I don’t know. The next generation doesn’t fill me with hope.

2. Custard Cream
    May 22, 2015 at 12:25 pm

I was hoping that last quote would go “If any student feels uncomfortable and wants their name to not be published they can f*ck right off into the distance”.

I am ever more grateful that my education was completed under an archaic, competitive, system.

3. Bucko
    May 22, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Grade shaming? That improved my day 🙂

4. The Jannie
    May 22, 2015 at 6:24 pm

“we also need people with a good technical education”

Hell’s bells; you’ll be teaching craft skills next!

5. Errol
    May 22, 2015 at 9:03 pm

I was extremely fortunate in that thank to an excellent tutor and an even better kick up the backside I graduated with a double first from St Johns.

Now, with that, I wouldn’t want it thrown around the internet. It’s mine. I earned it, I don’t wish it to be made public. The rest is just facile whining but this is not a security issue, nor worthy of public promotion.

6. Furor Teutonicus
    May 23, 2015 at 9:13 am

XX Ayed says the system also encourages competitiveness, “with people not wanting to share their notes, and an ‘in it to win it’ attitude among students.”

Fucking RIGHT!

I do the work, whilst some camel shagger called “Ayed” spends the whole time at camel shagging partys, why the fuck should I assist her with sharing my notes, which I have worked hard for, whilst all she has done is catch foot and mouth, and a taste for chewing desert bushes?

7. May 23, 2015 at 10:20 am

Oh dear, we can’t have anything which would allow a child to cope in later life, can we?

• May 31, 2015 at 6:01 am

All the better to make them dependent on the State.