“It Didn’t Work Because You’re All Chavs, Innit?”

Jamie Oliver has admitted that his campaign to improve the diet of Britain’s poorest children failed because eating well is considered a “posh and middle class” concern.

Just like improving oneself through education is ‘acting white’? Some minorities thoroughly deserve their status, don’t they?

But Saint Oliver wants to save them from themselves, of course!

In his new Channel 4 documentary, Oliver sets out to investigate the role played by advertising campaigns for sugary foods and drinks, the high quantities of sugar in so-called “healthy” products and the effect of diseases such as Type 2 diabetes.

Oliver holds a “categoric belief in a sugar tax” .

He said: “A 500ml bottle of cola has 131/2 teaspoons. What? Half the sugar you consume is hidden in foods. The single largest amount of calories consumed by our children is in sugary soft drinks.

“They’re a business and they categorically don’t believe in a sugar tax. But seven pence on a can of Coke is a billion quid a year and I want it for you! “

But what if we don’t want it for ourselves, Jamie?

“Even those who are on side, like scientists, hate the idea of (pictures of) teaspoons on the side of sugary sweetened drinks, but I totally disagree. If you put a snapshot on a can and it said it had ten teaspoons of sugar in it, it’s going to change consumption by everyone. Even Billy from Bognor is going to get it.”

Did putting dire, apocalyptic health warnings and pictures of diseased lungs on packets of cigarettes change smoking habits? I don’t think they did.

So why would this?

6 comments for ““It Didn’t Work Because You’re All Chavs, Innit?”

1. August 30, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I happened to catch an Ad for this show of Olivers during the week, I was so purple with rage, that I was tempted to write a piece. I stopped myself because I was so enraged I knew anything I wrote would be a personal attack on Oliver and possibly deemed “Trolling” as seems to be the fad these days for the left wing liberals and anyone who takes a stance against another person’s personal point of view (especially if they are a celebrity left wing liberal). In my day we called it “debate”, a free and frank exchange of views and freedom of speech. But Mr lisping, spitting, leftie Oliver, who seems to deem he is so much better than the rest of us that he has become a health natzi would fall into the catagory of “shout loud enough and long enough” that you are being “Victimised” and you can get a normal person who just doesn’t agree with you locked up and the key thrown away. So sadly I had to refrain from venting my spleen about Jamie and his antics. I know sugar is bad for me in large amounts but I like sweet things, I feel at 50 years old and having been responsible all my life I am quite capable of making just a few decisions about what I eat and I would like to point out to the health fascist Oliver that I am allergic to artificial carcinogenic sweeteners and that actually if people like HIM didn’t give everyone an F’ing complex there would not be so many obese people swilling cans of 0 cal pepsi thinking it’s better for them and still piling on the lb’s but running far greater risks of cancer from all the bloody chemicals in sweeteners. Amazes me that suddenly all “natural” products that don’t fit the marxist left agenda are suddenly “Harmful” and “life threatening” . Forward another 20 years and everyone will be greyer duller and even more boring than they are already becoming under these though police types.As I have said before THANK GOD I SHALL BE DEAD SOON! Rant over.

2. john in cheshire
    August 30, 2015 at 5:50 pm

JuliaM, whenever I read the ingredient lists on these foods and drinks, I rarely see proper sugar; rather it’s all synthetic sugar such as Aspartame. So,my question is whether these artificial sugars are the problem and not natural sugar. If so,we are once again being fed misinformation.

• September 6, 2015 at 7:36 am

I avoid all diet drinks because I hate the taste of the artificial sweetner in them.

3. Ed P
    August 31, 2015 at 1:01 pm

A picture of Jamie Oliver on the can might work – I certainly wouldn’t buy anything with his ugly mug on it.

• September 6, 2015 at 7:37 am

I see enough of his books going for £1 a boot sales that you won’t be the only one! :mrgreen:

4. September 3, 2015 at 2:44 pm

It is a strange truth that many, if not most, screen celebrities end up believing both all the bullshit generated by their ‘celeb’ status; as well as the ‘truth’ that they are now qualified to prescribe for all the nation’s presumed problems, illnesses and solutions to any and all political issues.

Jamie Oliver is but a typical example: with his rise to prominence in his cooking shows, his undoubted wealth from his commercial businesses and sponsorships: his easy affability and jocular attitude while meeting a huge cross-section of whichever country’s population; he has built up a massive fan club. So, it was but a short step to his involvement in a series where he attempted to alter the eating habits of schoolkids with food, which he was convinced was healthier and better than the mass-produced rubbish sent by central Council kitchens to the young consumers in the schools. Now maybe he was perfectly placed to offer an alternative; but the problem is that we British dislike intensely being told what to do; what is good for us; how to eat, and what to eat, and when to eat it. So his crusade foundered, some school kitchens altered their menus, but there wasn’t a great take-up.

He tried a stint proselytysing America’s school system, and failed even worse than the UK; but he doesn’t understand that America, like the UK, really doesn’t like being told what to do, or be preached at.

Consider another tv star, namely Martin Sheen. Don’t get me wrong, he is a very, very good actor, and has deservedly starred in both films and on tv: but he too began to believe in his own publicity. He did seven seasons as President Bartlett in the West Wing, and won accolades for his performances: but what on earth possessed him to place himself forward as a spokesman for Obama?