“Save Me, Big Nanny Government, You’re My Only Hope!”

Opines June Eric Udorie, 16, student, blogger and feminist campaigner:

The digital landscape has put increased pressure on teenagers today, and we feel it.

Awwww, diddums! Do parents not have a responsibility here, then?

If my mum turned off the WiFi at 11pm, my sister would beg me to turn my phone into a hotspot. She always needed to load her Snapchat stories one more time, or to reply to a message that had come in two minutes ago because she didn’t want her friend to feel ignored. If I refused, saying she could respond in the morning, I’d get the “You’re ruining my social life” speech.

Ah. It seems they do, but their efforts are being thwarted by teenagers themselves. ‘twas ever thus!

It’s becoming more and more obvious how the pressures of social media disproportionately affect teenage girls.

Oh. Of course. It’s affecting teh wymminz!

What is really worrying is that time and time again, these studies pop up and demonstrate that the mental health of teenagers, especially teenage girls, is on the line. We know this. We know the perils of the internet, we’ve heard about online bullying and the dangers of Ask.fm, we know the slut-shaming that goes on in our schools. We know these things. We know that these studies demonstrate that we have to make personal, social and health education (PSHE) statutory in schools and ensure it covers a range of issues from healthy eating and sleeping to consent.

Do we? Do we really?

You mean, teenagers will ignore what their parents say, will ignore their smarter peers (like you), but will unquestioningly obey their teachers?

Hmmm. Doesn’t sound a lot like any teenagers I’ve ever known…

And yet, Nicky Morgan and the government refuse to act.

Well, for once, good for them! It’s about time they declined to meddle in something they are ill-equipped to deal with.

So I ask: what are we waiting for? Inaction on these issues is harming the physical and emotional wellbeing of young people in this country. What has to happen before we do something?

By ‘we’ you really mean ‘them’, don’t you? Why look to ‘them’? Why not look to yourselves?

Why expect the state to take the responsibility away from parents and peers, when it seems to do a far worse job on the whole?

8 comments for ““Save Me, Big Nanny Government, You’re My Only Hope!”

1. Ed P
    September 25, 2015 at 11:03 am

The saddest aspect about this 16 year old’s whinge is imagining the ghastly “education” she must have had, to turn her into such a pathetic drone.

• October 4, 2015 at 7:31 am

She’s merely representative of her generation. I have the misfortune to travel home from work on the same train as a lot of Southend students, and….well, they are all like her.

Who on earth will ever employ them?

2. Hereward unbowed.
    September 25, 2015 at 12:30 pm

It was nothing untoward………. you do understand.

But I used to run rings round my parents [or so I used to think], in later life Dad once said to me “we knew what you were doing” he winked.

The likes of; Snapchat and ‘virtual banter’ has claimed and trashed modern childhood. Of course, kids need interaction but not that sort, they need cocooning but not smothering, what they need is a good grounding in life, which starts with a decent education and therein; is the problem – skool and teechurs and the behind them – HMG, all of them playing amateur social experiments with our children and no wonder society is creaking stumbling towards dystopia and a descent into savagery, anti social behaviours and narcissism.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

3. rob
    September 25, 2015 at 12:31 pm

When Einstein was stuck on his Theory of Relativity he asked a teenage girl for help because they know everything.

4. September 26, 2015 at 10:38 am

“When an opponent declares, “I will not come over to your side,” I calmly say, “Your child belongs to us already… What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community.”

– Adolph Hitler

• October 4, 2015 at 7:32 am

He knew a thing or two, that bloke…

5. Stonyground
    September 26, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Doesn’t this just sum up the concept of first world problems? Living a life that is pretty much devoid of actual problems, we have to invent some imaginary ones in order to give our lives some kind of purpose?

• October 4, 2015 at 7:32 am