‘Good Quality Housing’ Won’t Work…

…you need good quality people to live in that housing:

Council bosses hope that a new housing block could help lead to the regeneration of one of Brighton’s most notorious estates.

As I’ve already pointed out, this isn’t the way to do it. Good housing + bad people = slum in a few year’s time.

Plans have been unveiled by Brighton and Hove City Council to build another 56 new affordable council flats on two sites.

And council officers state that the redevelopment of the former housing office site in Selsfield Drive will provide a catalyst for the wider regeneration of the Bates Estate with the hope that good quality housing will lead to a fall in crime rates.

Unless you change the people, changing the housing makes no difference whatsoever.

10 comments for “‘Good Quality Housing’ Won’t Work…

1. Lord T
    March 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm

‘Hope’ The one thing that socialists have in abundance.

• The Cowboy Online
      March 9, 2016 at 10:52 am

Hope is one thing socialists have in abundance, the other being our money. Grr.

2. Flyinthesky
    March 8, 2016 at 3:52 pm

Nobody builds slums tenants generate them. What’s needed is a vigorously enforced terms of occupation agreement.

• March 13, 2016 at 6:37 am

But it’s a very hard slog to evict, thanks to ‘uman rites, innit? And it just moves the problem tenant somewhere else.

3. opsimath
    March 8, 2016 at 5:55 pm

For many of these people, the old saying, updated slightly, is appropriate: ‘Give them a hygiene chamber and they will store fossil fuels in it’.

• March 13, 2016 at 6:37 am

😀

4. Errol
    March 8, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Agreements, expectation of good behaviour – none work. The problem is actually, the flats. Well, more that they are given to people. If you’re given something you value it far less than if you work for it. When these people are given everything, why bother respecting it? It’s not theirs. What do they care if all the windows are smashed and there’s litter everywhere? It’s not theirs.

Then, after a life on welfare paid for by other people they get a free pension, paid for by other people.

I live – and I apologise for the strong language – a fecking shoe box. Mine, paid for with £450 a month of my money. The hated Left would demand I paid more than £1300 quid in tax every month – they’d take the lot and take my home as well. I damned well sick of paying for scum to live a life of riley at my expense.

Find a decommissioned, barely sea worthy hulk. Float out soil and seeds and move them on to it. Drag it out to sea and let them starve or survive.

• March 13, 2016 at 6:38 am

The Dutch experimented with shipping containers for the feral underclass. I often thought the only problem was, they sited them on land…

5. Hereward Unbowed.
    March 9, 2016 at 12:28 am

Benefits of multiculti and diversity?

It’s not only the dwellings is it, the state of the whole area degenerates into, a third world slum ghetto – take yourself off to East London, Ilford to see what I mean. Whence the changes and over the span ± in less than 20 years are quite astonishing and I’ve been to Karachi and Bombay……………………..

Say for example, where and when the southern Asians start moving in, the litter is piled up, the police turn a blind eye to street drug peddling and fly tipping is rife, street crime goes unreported and or, is not investigated and if you are a poor white bastard stuck in the middle of it – you’ll get your marching orders, “leave or else there will be consequences……… I’ll **** your daughter, son…….”

• March 13, 2016 at 6:39 am

Ilford used to be a Jewish area when I was growing up. My nan often took me there to get lovely cheesecake and bagels and pickled herring.

Now, you have to have a taste for fast food of the indeterminate sort. Sad.