It’s Enough To Drive You Bonkers!

British health systems are unprepared for the “devastating” effects of climate change, leading health bodies have warned.

As extreme weather events such as flooding or heatwaves become more common, the UK Health Alliance on Climate Change urged ministers not to “wait for disaster” before acting.

British health systems seem unprepared for people falling ill anyway, don’t they?

The alliance said climate change is “very much a UK health issue” because of factors such as the impact of flooding on mental health to the spread of new infectious diseases.

The impact of flooding on mental health? What are they smoking?

And if infectious diseases are a worry, why aren’t they campaigning to halt unrestricted immigration?

The group’s aim is to raise awareness of the health risks associated with climate change and promoting approaches to tackling the issue that also benefit public health, such as reducing air pollution, encouraging more active transport options, healthier diets and warmer homes.

I wonder just how much government (i.e. taxpayer) money is being paid to this pressure group?

11 comments for “It’s Enough To Drive You Bonkers!

1. Ed P
    April 12, 2016 at 10:56 am

So far, the only devastating effects of climate change have been to our wallets!

“New” infectious diseases: there are now areas of London with higher incidents of TB – the drug-resistant variety of course – than in most third world cities. The spread is helped by the spitting-in-public habits of the culturally-enriched people who just happen to live in these areas.

• Brightside Bob
      April 12, 2016 at 11:09 am

“The spread is helped by the spitting-in-public habits of the culturally-enriched people who just happen to live in these areas.”

As these areas are now (apparently) devoid of indigenous people, the problem is what exactly?

• Ed P
        April 12, 2016 at 1:46 pm

You want to breathe the same air they do inside an aeroplane? It spreads.

• April 24, 2016 at 6:16 am

I’ve recently seen women do this too. Women!

2. ivan
    April 12, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Ah yes, if you want taxpayer funding you must add something about climate change to what ever you are proposing or any paper you are writing. Doing that guarantees the public purse is open to you.

The green blob strikes again.

3. microdave
    April 12, 2016 at 12:43 pm

“As extreme weather events such as flooding or heatwaves become more common”

Except they’re not. Paul Homewood does an excellent job of analysing official records to show that these scaremongering tactics are simply untrue.

4. Errol
    April 12, 2016 at 9:21 pm

I’ve twisted my leg up. Doc refers me Tuesday. I call the physio people on Wednesday. Oh no, you can’t make an appointment until 4 days have passed. ‘Why’s that?’ ‘We don’t have your details’. I watched the doctor type them in. Watched them do it. What do they mean they don’t have my details? Are they waiting for them to be printed out and walked there in a wheel barrow?

The NHS is inefficient, arrogant, antediluvian and expensive. The NHS should respond immediately to customer demands. It should use the same database, not post things around. It isn’t the 5th century. The other day I sent a CAD drawing off to America to be printed in a steel mold. Guess what? It’s on it’s way here. Why, in this amazing era, is the NHS both amazing and hopeless?

Apologies for ranting.

• April 24, 2016 at 6:29 am

This is what I always come back to – the junior doctors are currently shroud-waving over the ‘commercialisation of the NHS’ as if it was inherently bad. But any company that treated its customers like this would go out of business.

So the only conclusion to be drawn is that we aren’t the customers of the NHS…

5. April 13, 2016 at 8:13 am

Spreading viruses? I hear that Dyson hand blowers are to blame.

6. Henry Kaye
    April 14, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I lived in Bermuda for 30 years. During that time I had just the one serious medical problem. I was flown to the US late one evening, was received immediately by a medical team who performed the necessary surgery during the night. Such efficiency. Similarly my late son-in-law, also resident in Bermuda had a succession of severe medical problems and was flown to the US several times to receive similar speedy and efficient treatment. On the other hand, I recently had a mini-stroke that necessitated carotid artery surgery and I was amazed that it was arranged and performed in three days. It can happen here but, seemingly, not very often.

• April 24, 2016 at 6:30 am

You have to be very lucky. That’s not what was envisaged, surely?