Warning Signs..

Once a beacon of progressive politics, the Netherlands today is a traumatised, angry and deeply confused nation. Support for immigration and the European project are at all-time lows. Synagogues and Jewish schools need police protection from homegrown jihadists, and freedom of expression is under serious pressure.

Finally! Some are seeing the light.

Any conclusions to draw?

What if the European project is an edifice with fatally flawed foundations? How does an open society based on equality survive, when every year it takes in tens if not hundreds of thousands of immigrants from countries with no tradition of openness, equality or democratic debate? Especially when those immigrants consistently have more children than the native Dutch?

Oooh! Once, this would have been unthinkable. Certainly in the pages of the ‘Guardian’.

*buys popcorn*

What seems certain is that the heady days of progressive optimism are not coming back.

So what are we doing about it? Well, Brexit seems like a good start.

11 comments for “Warning Signs..

1. Henry Kaye
    June 11, 2016 at 10:46 am

It seems that all of the Western political leaders are tarred with the same brush. They are obsessed with “One World” and simply will not listen to the people that they have been elected to represent. They will not see that their desire to destroy nation states and communities that share religion, history, traditions and so many other connections – they will not see that these people don’t want to be part of this new ideology. I can see nothing less than an armed resurrection to deal with this mess.

• June 11, 2016 at 11:33 am

Henry,

I would support the general idea of ‘an armed resurrection’; but, instead of heading towards a religious happening, perhaps an ‘insurrection’ may be a better alternative?

• Henry Kaye
        June 11, 2016 at 11:50 am

I’m not the world’s best wordsmith!!

• June 11, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Resurrection might be just what this is for all of Europe.

• June 19, 2016 at 7:05 am

LOL!

2. June 11, 2016 at 12:18 pm

I have had a long friendship with Dutch tweeter Kassandra and she says everyone’s waiting for us to make our move. The recent Dutch referendum action is waiting, pending our result. I’ve also been told Russia is following closely.

• June 19, 2016 at 7:05 am

I’m sure they are.

3. June 11, 2016 at 2:12 pm

Just what sort of ‘One World’ do those bozos have in mind? Perhaps it is one ‘Fundementally Changed’ in the Obama mode.

4. Bemused
    June 11, 2016 at 9:16 pm

I lived and worked in Holland 2008/9, I made many Dutch friends and spoke regularly with ordinary folks in taxis, on trains, in bars and restaurants, the common recurring themes were being warned what areas to avoid in the big cities, Rotterdam was a main topic, the city being abandoned by the indigenous, people moving to rural villages / towns, schools not fit for purpose, schools where Dutch was not spoken etc etc. I have no idea the truth but I heard it too many times from too many sources.

I did have a couple of nights out in Rotterdam and some areas were definitely intimidating.

• June 19, 2016 at 7:07 am

I went to Amsterdam for a business conference about 6-7 years ago, and the hosts warned me about certain areas as we cruised through the canals, enjoying a lovely dinner. I was quite surprised to see how vehement they were.

God only knows what they think now…

5. Errol
    June 11, 2016 at 10:26 pm

It’s one of those ‘I don’t think that means what you think it means’ with progressive. To the Left, it means obeisance to their crazed ideology. To everyone else it means the exact opposite of progressive – regression: misery, poverty, oppression, newspeak, doublethink, the whole apparatus of the big state, high tax, state controlled persistence.