Their Cruelty Will Never Sleep, Their Cupidity Will Never Be Satiated…

Ministers should force food firms to put less salt and sugar in their products, introduce smaller portions and limit their sponsorship of sports events, an alliance of leading health charities has urged.

The group also wants GPs to prescribe exercise for patients much more often, and the government to consider a blanket ban on alcohol advertising as part of a concerted drive to stop so many people dying early.

Frankly, the world they envisage would make anyone want to check out early!

The Richmond Group, which represents 12 charities including Diabetes UK and the British Heart Foundation (BHF), is demanding “brave action” to stop 250,000 Britons suffering a preventable death by 2025.

That’s another dozen charities off my donation list, then.

Tough action to improve the prevention of ill-health is “a moral and practical necessity” to tackle increasingly unhealthy lifestyles that cause obesity, diabetes and other conditions, the group says.

Anyone want to have a peek in the charity CEO’s fridges? I know I do.

6 comments for “Their Cruelty Will Never Sleep, Their Cupidity Will Never Be Satiated…

1. Hereward Unbowed.
    June 21, 2016 at 10:22 am

Charidees making appeals?

Appeals to whom and for what?

It’s just another political campaign, dressed up in virtue signalling raiment.

If..a political placeman/woman and big boss of a charidee has great need of some more enforced taxpayer generosity, making squealing noises in the meejah and gaining PR is the way.
    They never change do they? These pious chuggers, Bliar’s long march Common Purpose, conmen (spot the difference) – the very last damn thing on their minds – is the well being, the welfare and good health of: you and me.

Money talks, money purloined from the taxpayers to meet spurious ends and cough up way too generous stipends for back office staff, #starting on £50 K p/a! – that’s not charity – that’s grand scale public sector peculation.

• June 26, 2016 at 6:53 am

Whatever we do after the Brexit vote, one key policy should be to bring a halt to ‘charities’ getting government money to lobby government.

2. wg
    June 21, 2016 at 11:49 am

I often wonder if our medical practices are acting on local government instructions.

My city has numerous keep-fit establishments that seem mainly empty every time I pass them, most of the people I know quite happy to go for a walk and a work-out at the allotment.

Huxley had it right in Brave New World that pastimes mustn’t be free, but supplied by, yet another, state department, and paid for through our taxes; not to mention the local state busybody having access to information on those evil miscreants who have the audacity to enjoy a fag and pint.

• June 26, 2016 at 6:54 am

Why would anyone pay a huge sum of money when walking is free? *baffled face*

3. Hereward Unbowed.
    June 22, 2016 at 9:54 am

Another post for another thread, I’ll stick it here instead.

“Jo died for her political beliefs”, so said her dear husband Brendan.

From the perspective of my own sensibilities, one is minded to say that, if, my own personal experiences are anything to go by, grief strikes me in an altogether different manner, so much so in fact that, just coalescing any cogent thought is a force of will – of course one does it but the effort is great when one is bound to keep other emotional responses in check.

I don’t know this man, I think that, it would take the forbearance and infinite patience of a Saint to will oneself to be able to observe common civility with such.
    In a sequence of events, the tragedy of a very unnecessary and brutal murder, the stage, the players, the gallery, the scene, the scenario and the faux emotional outpouring in the aftermath – none of it sits well with me.

• June 26, 2016 at 6:54 am

The news that her district voted ‘Out’ cheered me right up… 😉