More Evidence We’re Devolving As A Species…

“It felt like every wall came towards me and I couldn’t get out,” says Usha Vandermaelen, a 19-year-old student from Belgium, who suffered a panic attack while following the hashtag and watching Marina’s videos.

“I had to pause the videos to keep myself together and not burst out crying. I had to ask my mother to calm me down, it lasted a few hours.”

Vandermaelen has been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, and says she suffers attacks if “something huge happens like this” or if one of her idols dies. She says that for the two days that #SaveMarinaJoyce trended, she only had three-and-a-half hours’ sleep.

“It made me feel very anxious as I felt like I had to do something to make sure the girl was safe. The more I believed there was a scary figure abusing her, the more I got anxious.”

She’s 19 years old. What’s she going to be like when she’s 24? Who would ever want to employ her?

After the YouTuber posted a video claiming the whole debacle was a “publicity stunt by [her] viewers, not by me”, social media users dramatically turned on her. She too became the victim of a witch hunt, as Twitter rapidly decided to change tack and #BoycottMarinaJoyce. “Hope u lose all ur followers u ugly bimbo,” tweeted one user, who claimed she had kept him up all night worrying. The tide had turned direction, but the hysteria remained.

What a society we’re building…

9 comments for “More Evidence We’re Devolving As A Species…

1. August 8, 2016 at 9:38 am

social anxiety disorder

Hell, I have that the whole time. From the early student days when a fellow student said: ‘You’re not the most social guy, are you?’ your humble commenter here has never looked back.

Crowds asphyxiate, open spaces and privacy are the thing. Anyone else like that?

• rapscallion
      August 8, 2016 at 10:46 am

Yes. I find that those who are “very sociable” tend to be “all things to all people” They come unstuck in the end because you cannot square the circle so to speak. Nevertheless, as I gain age, I find that I couldn’t give a rat’s ar$e what others may think of me. Very much a firm believer in the libertarian mindset that stipulates that I don’t care what anybody else does providing it doesn’t impact on me or frighten the kids or horses.

• August 8, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Never mind the kids, protect the horses at all costs!

• john in cheshire
      August 8, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Yes, I am and I love it.

2. Ed P
    August 8, 2016 at 10:34 am

There’s already a SAD – Seasonal Affected Disorder – so this is a poor choice of title for another acronym.
    Perhaps this ridiculous, imagined disorder could be labelled Melting Snowflake Condition?

• Mudplugger
      August 8, 2016 at 11:38 am

How about ‘GALL’ – Get A Life, Loser.

• August 14, 2016 at 8:00 am

We have a winner! 🙂

3. August 8, 2016 at 12:33 pm

However, we are all assured by the outstanding note that ENFIELD police visited this bloody attention-seeker.

Enfield: home of the forerunners to Essex woman and man; average IQ of those surrounding estates:- 45.

4. Stonyground
    August 14, 2016 at 5:21 pm

I don’t think that this is evidence that we are devolving as a species really. Before the internet was available we would never have got to hear about this silly girl and her irrational fears would we?