14 comments for “The Jews

1. John in cheshire
    February 12, 2017 at 1:28 pm

James I’m reading through your chapters and have not yet come to the end, so apologies if these questions are answered in the later parts :
    1. Who are the Pharisees and Sadducees; do they comprise all twelve tribes?
    2. Do the Pharisees and Sadducees still exist?
    3. Did Jesus’condemnation of them as the synagogue of satan apply to all of the tribes
    4. Does the synagogue of satan exist today?

• February 12, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Shall reply this evening, John. 17:24 Just flying past, shall do it better justice tomorrow morning. 22:09 Haven’t a clue but shall sure search around tomorrow when back on computer. Am on tablet now.

• graham wood
      February 13, 2017 at 8:19 pm

JIC. I sent a post by way of reply this morn but it appears to have disappeared into the ether!
      Re Q1. The Pharisees and Sadducees were two leading sects within Judaism and had differences of opinion about various things the chief is that the Sadducees did not believe in an after life, and therefore rejected Jesus’ many references to the resurrection of the body – including his own.
      I think you will find that they disappear from view after the Exile of the Jews in Babylon, as did the 12 tribes. That is probably why there is almost no reference to the tribes in the whole of the NT.
      Q2. I’m sure that the answer to that is no, if for no other reason than they went with the extinction of the nation of Israel during the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in AD70. The Jews lost everything – their national identity, the Temple, and their land. Hence their diaspora into many countries since that cataclysmic event.
      Q3. I can only find one reference to this in the NT (Revelation 2:9) and it may not be a reference to a physical building at all, but rather to a violently anti-Christian persecution against the first churches led by Jews in and around Jerusalem. So, no IMO it does not exist today.

• John in cheshire
        February 15, 2017 at 9:16 am

Graham, thanks for taking the time to reply. In the meantime I’ve done some online research and as James says the subject is so huge every time I think I’ve cracked it I read something else that set me off in another direction.
        I think I have an answer to Q1. now,
        Q2. I think the Pharisees still exist but I’m not sure where.
        Q3. It’s still not clear to me
        Q4. Neither is this but I’m inclining toward thinking that it does. It may for example exist in the UN and/or the Vatican or somewhere else; ie. it’s not confined just to the Jews.

2. DtP
    February 12, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Crikey – only popped in for a browse, 2 hours later, head battered, think I best go for a cup of tea.

Cheers very much indeed, really interesting.

• February 12, 2017 at 10:11 pm

And as you can see from John’s comment – have hardly scratched the surface.

• graham wood
        February 13, 2017 at 7:49 pm

James. As a matter of interest have you seen or read an absolute “must read” for any treatment of the Jews – namely Colin Chapman’s ‘Whose Promised Land?.
        Small paperback, very readable, and of course deals with the perennial question as to who has a legitimate claim to the land of Israel (notwithstanding Israel State forming in 1948)
        First published in 1983 it was (and presumably still is even though out of print) hugely controversial.
        Many Evangelical Christian bookshops in the UK refused to stock it, I think because it disturbed their ‘prophetic’ shibboleths about the “end times” emanating often from
        various prophetic schools from the USA.
        CC spent many years in the ME since 1968, and the blurb says in part “he has had to face the issues first-hand. His aim in this book is to be fair in facing the issues and constructive in putting forward a way of peace”

I think that is a very fair assessment of this little work, as he puts the case very clearly from both sides – Palestinian and Jewish and fully admits that neither are guiltless of some very shameful acts and crimes.
        Its still available easily for about a fiver – for a really quick search of availability go to: http://www.bookfinder.com/
        (last time I looked Abe Books had it for £2.04
        I would not be without it.

3. Distant Relative
    February 12, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Sadducees (and Pharisees and Essenes) http://www.livius.org/articles/people/sadducees/

4. Gregory Tingey
    February 13, 2017 at 9:48 am

Why is Masada remembered, but the sack of Yerushalem ( a couple of years previous) carefully forgotten?
    Why are the “Pharisees” ( Who supported Bar-Abbas & revolt ) blamed & not the Sadducees ( Who supported the status quo)?

Why does anyone pay any attention to this millenial-apocalyptic rubbish?

See also my comment about Evola, elsewhere.

• graham wood
      February 13, 2017 at 11:03 am

“Why does anyone pay any attention to this millenial-apocalyptic rubbish?”

GT I am not aware of any compulsion to engage with others on these matters on this subject.
      Do feel free not to participate in what is clearly of no interest to you, but is to others in James’ series.

• Distant Relative
      February 14, 2017 at 9:13 pm

GT “Why does anyone pay any attention to this millenial-apocalyptic rubbish?”

Short answer: because some humans need to feel something greater than themselves is in charge despite the high failure rate of doomsday cults.