It is a puzzlement!

I commenced reading my Saturday Telegraph, and turned the page over to page eight, but immediately was faced with a full page 9 advert featuring Omega watches, one of which is being worn by some bloke named Eddie Redmayne.

Am I supposed to be impressed by this bloke’s choice in watches? Is he a horologist? Can he fix a watch; or does he just ‘look good’ with some expensive hardware strapped to his wrist? Has he always worn an Omega, or was it just borrowed for the occassion? Is he an expert in watchmaking, or is it just that, because he is, presumably, a celebrity, we should all show our adoration for the calling, and either save up and buy one, or else add to the National Debt Crisis by slapping down some plastic, together with the words, ‘That’ll do nicely!”

Should I immediately dash out to Durham City centre, and buy one?

But the most pressing question is, naturally, without reverting to Google, or even Bing: who the hell is Eddie Redmayne: and why am I supposed to either recognise the name, or even to know this?

17 comments for “It is a puzzlement!

1. John in cheshire
    September 9, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Mr Redmayne seemed to appear out of nowhere a few years ago and immediately became a movie star. He has a limited acting range and to me depends on his roles requiring someone who has an English accent. I’m afraid he’s one of the people on my list of those I don’t like looking at; not wanting to be cruelly personal but he doesn’t look too bright.

2. Stonyground
    September 9, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I have always found the celeb endorsement type of advertising puzzling. It must work on some people otherwise said celebs wouldn’t be paid huge amounts of money to say that they like things. I think that some people regard anyone who is a bit famous as being somehow god like. The more grounded among us realise that those celebs are being paid to say that they like stuff so that the fact that they say they like it has no relevance when it comes to us deciding whether to buy it.

When it comes to watches, I’m totally hooked on my hi tech GPS multisport watch. Mine is a Tomtom but if Garmin want to give me one of their top of the range offerings I’ll be happy to appear in an ad saying that I like theirs better.

• Hereward Unbowed.
      September 9, 2017 at 7:59 pm

LoL!

3. Errol
    September 9, 2017 at 6:51 pm

The intent is to sell the lifestyle. Ergo buy this, be this this person. Be slimmer, more muscular, have bigger boobs, look good in a bikini, attract gorgeous partners…. it is simply sales. I’ve no idea who Redmayne is, nor do I care.

Advertising works on many who want to believe the things make who you are. This is gibberish, but it works. It is what causes the visceral hatred people have of Apple products, why women spend thousands on a bit of stitched leather.

• Lord T
      September 11, 2017 at 11:45 am

I’d like to look a bit slimmer, be more muscular but I’ll give the bigger boobs and looking good in a bikini a miss.

Not quite sure how having an expensive watch builds my muscles though. Oh, wait, it is having to labour to pay for the thing.

4. FrankC
    September 9, 2017 at 7:04 pm

“Should I immediately dash out to Durham City centre, and buy one?” or would it be a wasted journey?

5. September 9, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Eddie Redmayne – not a lion?

6. Penseivat
    September 9, 2017 at 7:50 pm

My £5.99 Argos watch tells the same time as Red Wotsisname’ s, will not get me targeted by the moped mugger muppets, and I don’t cry if I forget to take it off when building brick walls. Anyone who buys stuff just because it is advertised by actors, singers, or people like that over-tattooed, ex footballing underpants salesman, who got confused between a box of cornflakes and Brooklyn’s jigsaw puzzle, deserves to have a target printed on their back so everyone knows what a pillock they are.

7. Hereward Unbowed.
    September 9, 2017 at 8:05 pm

I bought a Swatch in Spain in 03 still runs OK, gorra Seiko Kinetic and a TAG don’t wear them much – kinetic is a waste of time really, I don’t like wearing watches all the time and btw it was a gift.

da youf innit – kids don’t do watches these days, smart phone time is IT – and always zoned out, tuned to in gaga time [‘n’ I don’t mean the dive den chanteuse].

8. auralay
    September 9, 2017 at 8:21 pm

This cartoon sums it up for me – https://xkcd.com/1420/.
    “Brief, glorious period when our wrists were watch free.”

9. Ed P
    September 9, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Since der yoof today are glued to their phones, which display the time, I’d imagine watch sales are shrinking towards industry oblivion.

And I though Eddie was a female name.

Ed

10. September 10, 2017 at 12:39 am

I have never owned a watch that cost more than $30. Rarely have they kept exact time. But it was always close enough for government work. Right now I am waiting for the start of ‘Summertime’ so that my watch reverts to being at the right hour.

• September 10, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Might that have something to do with ‘never owned a watch that cost more than $30’? 🙂

11. Mudplugger
    September 10, 2017 at 9:22 am

I’m one of those for whom celebrity endorsements have the exact opposite effect – I reckon that the amount of excess money spent on the advertisement must be coming off the value-equation of the product, so I deliberately buy alternative products every time. Thus Gillette’s vast sums paid to Mr Beckham simply increase sales of Aldi’s own-brand razor-blades.

If we all did that, the celeb-endorse culture would soon die and we’d all get better value goods and services.

12. Stonyground
    September 10, 2017 at 11:16 am

I’ve been reading a book called Iron War by Matt Fitzgerald. It is the story of the rivalry between elite Ironman champions Dave Scott and Mark Allen during the nineteen eighties. I have just come across this paragraph in the book, the athletes are taking their bikes into the transition area:

“Dave cruised in with his bike ahead of Mark. As far as the triathlon public knew, it was a Centurion Ironman Dave Scott signature model, but in fact the frame was designed by a boutique northern California bike maker named Albert Eisentraut and painted to look like the model Dave endorsed but never rode himself because he didn’t like it. Mark, always the less punctual of the two, came in later with his ‘Schwinn,’ which was really a Kestrel.”

At least sportsmen do know something about the products that they are paid to suggest that you buy. However it appears that they aren’t being honest about which stuff they like.

Regarding wristwatches, I like them and always wear one. I don’t like the really cheap as chips ones and prefer one of reasonable quality but I would never pay silly money for one. The modern sports watches do far more that just tell the time.

13. September 11, 2017 at 6:10 pm

The one which really baffles me is celebrity perfumes; while one watch is essentially pretty much like another, taste in perfume is surely a very personal thing, yet consumers are clearly willing to fork out a fortune to smell of ‘Glowing by JLo’ and ‘Britney Spears’ Private Show’ – or, for the chaps, ‘Intimately Beckham’.

(Wikipedia has a somewhat mind-boggling list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_celebrity-branded_fragrances)