I reckon that’s her ‘unFriended’ then.

I am not on Facebook; nor have I any intention of signing up to that behemoth of rumour, false news and false friends. People who read either these pages, or those upon my own site, or on the ATW blogsite pages, know only that which I publish of my own, my private life. But that is my decision, and the 2-odd billion active users who sign on and tell the world of their shopping trip(e), or what ever else these people fill their time with on Facebook, is entirely their business. My readers know I am a very proud grandfather, and a proud father. They know that my wife is ill, and has been for many a day; and they also know I have strong right-wing beliefs, supporting those whom I believe in. All of my life which is open to those readers is available, and the many things which are private to me are closed off to everyone except close family and friends. Some readers of ATW call me curmudgeonly, opine that my posts are disgraceful: I care not, these are my views, my beliefs, my opinions; and if anyone has issues, they only need to ignore my posts.

So it is that I came upon a story which holds Facebook as a part of that whole, and it is not such a pretty picture. A Breitbart Facebook posting regarding the NFL ‘kneelers’ went ‘ultra-viral’ according to the Huffington Post; and the Director of the Michigan State Police, Colonel Kriste Etue, posted the Breitbart item on her personal Facebook page. For that ‘heinous crime’ of using her Constitutional right to free speech, Colonel Etue was fined five days pay by the Michigan governor  Rick Snyder, who called the post  “inappropriate”.

Here is the Breitbart posting. Is it ‘inappropriate’? I reckon it is ‘Outstanding’!

14 comments for “I reckon that’s her ‘unFriended’ then.

1. opsiamth
    October 21, 2017 at 11:54 am

I think this marvellous lady should have been given an award for this piece. It just shows what the decent majority is up against, Thanks for the link.

• October 22, 2017 at 8:17 am

They should have made her Chief of Police!

2. Errol
    October 21, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Surely the better question is is it fair that what is effectively a council wonk can remove the pay of someone qually paid by the state having an opinion.

Surely that decision is one for the public, and the councillor should see his post reconsidered in light of public opinion.

3. Trevor
    October 21, 2017 at 2:33 pm

“Michigan governor Rick Snyder”

A Republican. Just as Theresa May, Amber Rudd, Anna Soubry, Nicky ‘The Bank of England is too white’ Morgan et al are ‘Conservatives’.

I’m generally not in favour of ideological purity tests, accept that parties are big tents, etc – but surely we’ve reached he point where a deep clean wouldn’t go amiss.

• October 22, 2017 at 8:17 am

That’s one Augean Stables even Hercules would think twice about taking on, though…

4. Lord T
    October 21, 2017 at 2:33 pm

It happens all over the place. I have been dragged in front of the SJW police for voicing an opinion while employed by them and that they said has put the company in a bad light. It would have been laughable if it had not been so serious.

5. Mudplugger
    October 21, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Colonel Etue’s fate demonstrates how compromised the principle of free-speech has become. On that basis, the kneelers should be free to make their point but only at a similar risk to their livelihoods, whether they do it in public or on their private Facebook pages.

The answer to this knee-based silliness lies in the hands, and wallets, of the audience. If offended by any kneeling-event, leave immediately and/or switch off the TV, never to go there again until it stops, and immediately communicate that fact to the operators (and thus their advertisers).
    That will soon put an end to it.
    To continue to subscribe, directly or indirectly, is to support the action by the back-door.

6. Hereward Unbowed.
    October 21, 2017 at 5:56 pm

Colonel Etue was fined five days pay by the Michigan governor Rick Snyder, who called the post “inappropriate”.

Someone and pdq, needs to readjust Rick Snyder and reorder his priorities, and beg the question what happened to an individuals right to courageously voice a contrary opinion and is it not the case where, EVERYBODY is entitled to free speech in the land of the free?

Colonel Kriste Etue, people of conscience; free men and women across the world salute you.

7. Graham Wood
    October 21, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Completely off topic I know, and try as I may the only phrase I could use as an excuse to comment on Mike’s characteristically honest and robust piece (whose sentiments I share completely) is the phrase
    “Is it appropriate?”
    To what do I refer ? Answer: The arrogant “demands” from a jumped-up French President Macron (still wet behind the ears) for Britain to pay the corrupt EU countless £billions in the so called
    “Negotiates”. To add insult to injury this boy wonder whines that
    We have not yet even half to meet their demands.
    So there we have it. In two world wars we poured out our man/womanhood, our national treasure, and countless Britis lives to save both France and Europe from German aggression, and yet this ignorant ranter makes his outrageous demands.
    Why not drop a line to the French Embassy and tell them “toujours la politesse”, and that it is “inappropriate” ?

• Graham Wood
      October 21, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Sorry for the several typos in last post – finger trouble !

• Mudplugger
        October 21, 2017 at 9:05 pm

That’s OK, we all tend to lose our faculties when pondering the perfidious French. Ungrateful bastards.

• Hereward Unbowed.
      October 21, 2017 at 9:17 pm

“ranter” Graham?

Hmm, did you have another word in mind – perchance?

😉

8. October 22, 2017 at 4:27 am

‘Appropriate’ images come into mind. Bags, Hessian, Grey, lge, Nato #(….), politicians for the putting in. River, deep, wide, fast flowing. Hessian bags full of politicians for the throwing in.

9. October 22, 2017 at 7:42 pm

These are the sorts of things we’re here to do.