Well, I bloody do! And here’s why:

I asked one of the new residents, 45-year-old Salah, a British Somalian who lived in Grenfell with his four children, why there were still so many vacant flats and houses.

Salah said that some of the townhouses did not have enough windows and that had put some people off: ‘There is one here, near to me, that no one will ever take because of the way it is designed without light.’

How’s your blood pressure, reader? Because there’s more!

I spoke to an elegant South American woman in her 30s who told me that she and her four children escaped the fire at 3.30 am. She did not want to be named but explained that most people wanted to be rehoused somewhere nearer to the tower.

‘They want to stay near Grenfell, an area they know, and where they have friends and family,’ she said.

When you live off the taxpayer, in a foreign country at that, you’ll go where the taxpayer can afford to send you…

An Italian, Antonio Roncolato, told BBC2’s Newsnight recently that he preferred to stay with his 26-year-old son Chris in the four-star Copthorne Hotel in Kensington rather than take up the council’s initial offer of a permanent apartment in Westminster, four-and-a-half miles from Grenfell, or one in Earl’s Court, two-and-a-half miles away.

Mr Roncolato, who works as a barman in a hotel in the South Kensington area and had lived on the tenth floor of Grenfell Tower since 1990, said: ‘I declined the Westminster one because it was not in my borough. The second one was a basement flat in Earl’s Court near a very busy road. That also was not suiting my needs.’
When asked what would be acceptable, he said: ‘Acceptable would be a two-bedroom flat on the second, third, fourth, fifth floor, with a lift. I want it in an area possibly where I work, near where my relatives are.’

He has explained: ‘It might sound like people are getting a bit fussy, but they have been through so much and if you’re moving house, you want it to be to somewhere you will stay for a lifetime.’

Then pay for it yourself! FFS!

Then there is Randa, 25, who is living in a hotel in Gloucester Road, West London, with her husband, who has been in Britain for nearly two decades, and their two children aged six and three. A few days after fleeing their flat, they moved into the hotel and have been there ever since.

Randa’s mother, here on a month-long visit from the Yemen, is staying in a block of £100-a-night tourist apartments near her hotel. The council arranged her trip here on compassionate grounds, although it is unclear whether the borough is paying towards it.

Would anyone be surprised if it was?

…an Australian girl who was living on the tenth floor of Grenfell Tower, but escaped alive, was said to be sub-letting from a ‘landlord’ she had never met who is thought to have been a council tenant.

A friend of the girl, who has since returned to Australia, asked: ‘Will these so-called “landlords” claim all the financial help being offered, and start letting their council flats again in new properties?

‘How can this be prevented? I would hate to think he could benefit from being given a new property and all the financial aid.

But they almost certainly will.

News that the Human Rights Commission will be looking at this incident, with a view to determining ‘the extent to which the state has “a duty to protect its citizens”…’ shouldn’t bring any comfort either.

The ‘citizens’ they will be focusing on won’t be the poor bloody UK taxpayer who is being forced to cough up to house the world’s waifs and strays, will they?

11 comments for ““No one should begrudge what is being given by the council to the traumatised survivors.”

1. John in cheshire
    December 11, 2017 at 10:27 am

JuliaM, I fully agree with you. But why is there no one in either local or central government defending to English taxpayer, getting immigrants to pay for themselves and deporting those who are here illegally or are a burden on the taxpayer?

• microdave
      December 11, 2017 at 12:40 pm

After the recent comments by the new defence secretary, there just might be a small ray of light, as regards speaking up in favour of the English taxpayer. But it remains to be seen whether or not Gavin Williamson is forced to retract, or gets the push…

• Hereward Unbowed.
        December 11, 2017 at 1:31 pm

The toryboy establishment are readying mrs maybe for permanent retirement.

I remember well, a young firebrand call me dave in the early days, thick and outspoken, oily and chummy too, ‘cast iron;’ was just like williamson all mouthy and UKIP sounding but faux right winger, that’s what they do, it’s a tory charade, he is being lined up as the new major/camoron type, all EUphiliac and a party placeman for the patricians to manoeuvre a lowly pawn on the board.

2. Anon
    December 11, 2017 at 11:10 am

I have quite a lot of friends from South America and one of them said to me “It is the fault of British people that their Government does things like that”.
    I think she is right, although I would add the group think in the BBC that stops people from asking
    “You are not from here, why should you get free/subsidised housing?”
    BTW when did the Mail become the Guardian?

• Errol
      December 11, 2017 at 9:25 pm

I fail to see how somehting we can do nothing about is our fault. What should we do? Rise up and revolt? Why, then, do they not revolt against Zuma?

• Anon
        December 11, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Zuma is South African not South American. I think she is right UKIP is a party which doesn’t want to give foreigners housing, most British people sadly did not vote for UKIP therefore they are happy with the status quo or should blame themselves and vote UKIP next time.
        However don’t blame me I voted UKIP.

3. Voice of Reason
    December 11, 2017 at 7:24 pm

I haven’t been back in the UK for a few years. Do you think I could come for a visit and be put up in a four-star hotel in Kensington, at the expense of the British taxpayer?

4. Errol
    December 11, 2017 at 9:26 pm

As the council has no money – all of it being taken by force from the private sector, it really should be more circumspect.

5. Errol
    December 11, 2017 at 9:37 pm

How does a barman manage to live in Kensington? The Dark Queen has an overnight flat there (especially at this time of year – for tax accountancy when she leaves here at 5 and works until gone 10 for days) and she shares that with four chums, each paying a bit of the £3200 a month rent with them crashing as they need to.

How does someone on minimum wage afford to live there?

• Hereward Unbowed.
      December 12, 2017 at 6:55 am

tax credits and housing bennies, plus anything else they can claim for, it’s easy if u is efnik innit.

• Anon
      December 12, 2017 at 11:28 am

He probably pays a lot less rent than she does.