Sympathy Level Approaches Zero…

A City IT worker who lost both of his legs after falling through the gap between train and platform on his commute home is suing for almost £2 million in damages.

Did a carriage floor give way?

Abellio is fighting the claim, arguing it had put in place adequate safety measures including regular announcements, platform markings, and an on-board warning to passengers to “take care when departing”.

Wait, why would that be relevant?

Derek O’Sullivan QC, for Abellio, suggested Mr Robinson was “completely distracted” at the time of the accident because of his lost ticket.

“The fact remains that you went and walked up to a moving train and stood on the platform edge as it was moving,” he said.

Case closed. Or, it should be…

But who wants to bet that he won’t win? So remember this when your fares go up again.

8 comments for “Sympathy Level Approaches Zero…

1. Hereward Unbowed.
    February 14, 2018 at 11:59 am

I cannot can never get over (literally and figuratively) the ignorance of rail passengers, who won’t allow me to alight the train, such is their eagerness to mount the carriage.

• Errol
      February 14, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Been there. As I more than fill the ‘designed for annorexic midgets’ doors and if I keep going not much can really stop me. What bothers me there is that if people are not polite enough to let me pass, and I rude enough to barge through them, they will get pushed over then they’ll blame me.

Same goes for ignorant people in shops who ram me with trolleys. How the F can you miss me?

• Pcar
        February 14, 2018 at 8:27 pm

@Errol

Well,…. obviously they can’t.

If the hit is from behind, push back hard as turning to face culprit. With any luck they will have fallen backwards & under trolley.

• Hereward Unbowed.
        February 14, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Seriously, I don’t like to barge women but good grief I give ’em a piece of my mind. Surely? there is after all a protocol, ie, passengers get off FIRST?

If we all took it easy, just think how more smoothly done it would be?

Though, having said that, station masters used to remind people wanting to board to “stand back and allow alighting passengers to leave the train” – don’t they get involved anymore and what about H&S?

Doesn’t the new order go, after; the mantras of obeying the crescent, political correctness and multculti, aren’t H&S diktats next in priority for us plebs and with the great and the good – or, maybe just not rail passengers – eh?

On supermarkets, my biggest whine, no one seems to be aware of the presence of other human beings. Are they all zombies?

• February 18, 2018 at 7:37 am

They do still make the announcement, but like all announcements, it goes unnoticed, clearly.

• February 15, 2018 at 8:39 am

Couple of swift kicks to the goolies soon sorts them, allowing you to exit freely.

• Hereward Unbowed.
        February 15, 2018 at 9:37 am

Thats so tempting but you know, I like to get home without first travelling via the cop shop.

🙂