Oh, Well

It’s been an interesting few days during which things have been rattling along and I have struggled to keep up. This is in part because I simply haven’t had the time to devote to this project that James had. Consequently, each time I look, something different has happened. What happened to the magazine layout?

I think, on reflection, the democratic approach has its flaws. The request for naming ideas produced a wealth of interesting names. Many of which I liked and each time I thought “Yeah, I really like that one” someone would come up with another one and I’d think, “yes…”

That said, it looks as if while we were going down the polling route and names were still coming in, a couple of the front runners had already been taken and we don’t want to risk confusion –  better to have something as unique as possible.

I do take on board the comments made by Lord T who accused us of doing a Clegg. Cringing somewhat, I have to concede that he has a point. Polling rather than simply choosing from the selection before us was probably making a rod for our own backs –  and, whichever we choose, someone, somewhere isn’t going to like it. And we still have to make that final decision.

Ah, yes, welcome one and all to the world of politics and compromise.

To those of you who are contributing, I am posting this using Blogjet. I have always used an offline tool for composing and saving into draft my blogposts. There is less likelihood of losing the post in the event of a crash and it doesn’t over complicate the code in the same way that Word does. So, it’s a thought to bear in mind. It works with all of the major blogging platforms.

37 comments for “Oh, Well

1. April 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Might try out the Blogjet – seems to work well and might be faster.

2. April 22, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Windows Live Writer works well for me on Blogger and its free.

Will have to see how it works with WordPress though.

• April 23, 2011 at 9:59 am

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve just downloaded it. I’ll see how well it works.

• April 23, 2011 at 10:20 am

Okay – yes, it works well. One minor niggle is that it doesn’t detect or post to categories, requiring an edit later.

• April 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Ah. in my version it imported the Categories / tags

But the design view for composing is the ‘Featured Post’ box , so it looks strange. not exactly WYSIWYG.

• April 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Correction, it has imported the categories, I was looking in the wrong place.

Under the view menu, try un-checking “edit using theme” see if that works.

• April 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm

So it did (see below) That’ll be a lot easier to work with

3. April 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

“I think, on reflection, the democratic approach has its flaws.”
    Trouble is… the people we are supposed to be opposing… are of the same opinion.

4. April 22, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Yeah, I know…

But we’re not trying to run the country 😉

On a more serious note, for something like this, it is probably best to just get on with it. We will never please all of the people all of the time.

• April 22, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Heaven forbid… you’re both doing a grand job.

• April 23, 2011 at 7:48 am

Ta 😀

• April 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Seconded! 🙂

• Lord T
      April 23, 2011 at 1:24 pm

The bit that made me comment was the asking for opinions and then discarding them.

What is wrong with making it democratic? What was wrong with putting a reasonable end date on name contributions, then a poll over a few days and then going with the winner? It shows you believe in the principle which we are all fighting for. Even it the answers don’t always come out the way you want them. People appreciate that they were outvoted but at least their vote counted.

Here is a quote you should be familiar with ‘That’s the problem with a democracy – you just can’t rely on the proles coming up with the right choice’. I can’t remember if that was Blair, Brown, Cameron, Clegg or it could even have been someone else. 🙂 (Sorry, couldn’t resist although I know you were joking)

• April 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm

During the past week, I’ve been somewhat preoccupied with working nights and doing my end of year accounts, so I was looking in every day or so to find that things had moved along rather more rapidly than I was able to keep up with. Even the name kept changing…

From what I see, several of the original comments were taken on board – particularly with regard to things like calling authors contributors and some of the formatting stuff. As for the name, I suspect the best thing to have done was to have asked for ideas – and yes, give a cut-off and then make a decision. While the poll was running, names were still coming in and they were sometimes more appealing than the choices given in the poll. Then, just to make matters worse, we were advised that the front runner is already a blog in the US…

In the end, though, someone is going to have to make a final executive decision – James has passed that one to me, for which, thanks :|, I’m not sure that design by committee is the best approach for this type of project – hence my comment above. Ask for ideas then just get on with it, using those that you think best.

• Lord T
          April 23, 2011 at 3:34 pm

From what I can see it is both of you running it. You make your own decisions on how the decisions are made and what rules, and how many, are in place. Running something like this is never going to be an easy task. Herding cats will be much easier.

I wish you both luck with it.

• April 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Ta 😉

I suspect we’ve been making rods for our own backs along the way.

5. April 23, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I’m not hung up about the name. I just want this blog to boast quality writing that attracts readers and offers them plenty of interesting and informative content every day.

I think the work you guys have done with this is outstanding. Well done and thanks.

• April 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for the support 😀

The name is a bit of a bugbear because it’s been so difficult to decide. Not sure why that should be.

6. April 23, 2011 at 3:25 pm

” I have always used an offline tool for composing and saving into draft my blogposts.”

Me too. I use MS Word… 😉

• April 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I tried using Word once or twice. The downside is that it puts unnecessary code into the HTML. I have no idea why this should be.

• Lord T
        April 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That is why I use Wordpad as my offline tool. It doesn’t add anything and works fine.

• April 23, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Presumably you then cut and paste?

Word is sold as a publishing tool – which it does, just clumsily compared with other options such as BlogJet or even Live Writer.

• Lord T
            April 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Yes. Just select all and then copy. I keep the process running until the article is posted. That way I can’t accidentally copy something else when I am am distracted and lose the lot.

Because it is a basic editor you can even type in all the HTML ready for the article without it actually formatting the text.

• April 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Yeah, I’ve noticed that, but converting it to plain text and then ‘polishing’ and applying desired formatting once cut and pasted into the blogpost body soon sorts that out.

• April 23, 2011 at 3:35 pm

You might want to look at the writer tool – it’s a free download and from what I can see, doesn’t have that problem.

Personally, having paid for it ages ago, I’ll stick with BlogJet.

7. Chuckles
    April 23, 2011 at 3:45 pm

The spam filters are showing a remarkable sense of taste and decorum by dumping just about everyones comments onto the spam bucket at the moment. Maybe Akismet wants a holiday weekend as well.

Ah well, we apologise for the inconvenience…, I’m dancing as fast as I can…

Just had to fish my own comment out the spam queue. Oh the indignity

• April 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Did James pass on my comment about BCSpamblock?

• April 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Also, I notice that JuliaM’s comments are always going into the moderation queue…

• April 23, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Probably has me pegged as a wrong ‘un… 😉

8. Chuckles
    April 23, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Longrider, no he didn’t, but easy enough to load it if required. Yes, I noticed that it was being particularly harsh towards some posters. Probably global warming.

• April 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm

If you do load it, thanks, it will give Akismet a breather 😉 It kills 99% of all known Spam. What we will have to watch is it blocking genuine comments. Mine hasn’t recently.

9. Chuckles
    April 23, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Done, your comment reminded me of the fellow who discovered a chemical that kills 1% of household germs. He’s going to make a fortune selling it to Dettol…

10. admin
    April 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

That biz about Akismet actually heartens me because that is exactly the problem at my site and this is not my site. Bstds. I’m going to get a different anti-spam. I’m sick of it.

• April 24, 2011 at 8:50 am

Was there a problem with BC Spamblock? I see it’s been deactivated and the spam filter is filling up again.

11. William
    April 23, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Well done chaps. It’s looking good and working well. Not a glitch found.
    As for blogging ‘tools’
    I use Movable Type for my blogs so usually use its built in compiler but on the odd occasion when I need some coloured text for example I compile my blog posts in Thunderbird’s e-mail compiler.
    Its got a spellchecker (vital giving my lack of touch typing skills!) and it formats everything correctly for a cut and paste directly into the blog(s)

The navbar now looks much tidier and can be ‘scanned without thinking’ The moving of the contributor list down the page forces the eye to travel down the list of posts rather than wander around figuring out what to do.

May I recommend installing CrazyEgg or using the built in Google amayltics ‘hotspot’ tracker as this will reveal just how popular all of the links on the page are.

Viewing this site on a Dell XPS M1330 with a 13 inch screen running Jolicloud.
    Viewed on Firefox, Chrome, Chromium and my fave Opera and it looks exactly the same in all of them.

Congratulations to you all.

12. April 24, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Well done everyone the site looks great