Organ Donors: What happened to “NO”?

The new questions on the Driving License Form regarding organ donations, are as follows:

• Yes, I would like to register
  • I do not wish to answer this question now; or
  • I am already registered on the NHS Organ Donor Register.

The PR put out by the Government shamelessly admits the intention is to “drive up” the number of organ donations.

Looking at the way the questions are phrased, and the absence of any chance to write a straightforward NO, it appears to me the Government are also protecting themselves against legal challenges in the future, where organs have been removed without the patients consent. A thoroughly disgusting and abhorrent prospect, although right along the lines of other proposals and deeds of this miserable bunch of ministers!

I had understood the planned change was to go from an “opt-in system” to an “opt-out procedure.

Like referendums in the EU, there is no OUT, the question will merely be asked again and again!

8 comments for “Organ Donors: What happened to “NO”?

1. August 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I haven’t seen the form, but I wonder if there’s room to add another option and draw another box…? 😉

2. August 2, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I have no idea but assume that any changes will be entered on the database as opting for the middle answer. ❓

3. Sue
    August 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Although I am not adverse to organ donation, if I were applying for a new license I would just write NO across the options. I don’t like “opt out” schemes like this. What happens if they don’t get filled in at all?

• August 2, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Sue, I have not seen the form, but assume that presuming the responses will be entered into a data base, even if one crossed through the middle question and wrote “No, Never”, it would almost certainly be digitally recorded as a positive response to “I do not wish to answer this question now”.

Were one absoluely opposed to becoming an organ donor, this new set of questions deprives such a person from ever registering that fact, even up to or at the actual moment of death perhaps?

The people who devised the questions are not stupid, therefore they seem to be withdrawing the right for peole to opt out. They want more organs – Why?

On 4th January 2009 I blogged on the NHS selling organ transplants to foreigners, it is available to be read from here:

4. F***W*T TW****R
    August 2, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I hope their grunties rot around their loins. 😡

5. Twenty_Rothmans
    August 2, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Where’s the box saying ‘yes, but only to someone of whom I would approve’?[0]

ISTR there was a kerfuffle about this around ten years ago.Someone had stipulated where his second-hand parts could be grafted. Better than a blank ‘no’, I suppose.

[0] yes, the race card

6. Maaarrghk!
    August 4, 2011 at 6:46 am

I’m kind of surprised that this one has not been killed off by muslims. I’m sure they would have something to say about the possibility of having their organs harvested for the benefit of us infidels. Particularly those of the jewish persuasion.

Maybe they should be made aware of this? After all, they do seem to have a particular talent for demonstrating. I can see the banners now – “DVLA Go To Hell”.

• August 4, 2011 at 8:40 am

Nah… “Behead the DVLA” Now, that’s more like it.