The freedom to be what we are.

The term nationalist particularly in reference to England has a very bad press with football fans, the BNP or the EDL and others describing themselves as nationalists, (though in the case of the EDL they tend to describe themselves as patriots to avoid the racial overtones of nationalist as they have no colour bar on membership) yet still many people love their country and want to see it do well either economically or sportingly so in essence are nationalists within certain limited descriptions, a sort of accidental nationalism of the kind only the English seem to have. Most are not ethnic nationalists like the BNP or National Front in that they have no colour bar to seeing someone of a different coloured skin playing sport and representing England as being English.

Now I’m a nationalist too, though I certainly don’t consider this to be an accident in any way shape or form. Am I proud to be English? Well yes in the same way that Scots are proud to be Scottish though not in the sense of feeling that England is superior to any other nation. The CEP and others describe this as civic nationalism, which to one extent political parties such as the SNP parade themselves as (despite their lunatic fringe). So my nationalism is inclusive a sort of Anglo Ergo Sum, that is anyone can be English if they accept that they are, this includes any other sub-groups such as Roman Catholics, C of E, or even Muslims shed of the more violent aspects of their religion, it doesn’t go by skin colour, religion, political persuasion or any other of the petty differences that some ethnic nationalists choose to make their group exclusive.

This is also why I’m in favour of an English Parliament, in a sense it’s about fairness, it’s not about the availability of cancer drugs or free prescriptions, how other nations spend their health budget is entirely up to them. It’s about when MP’s from other nations vote on matters (and get them passed despite a majority of English MP’s voting against them) such as University fees, and private finance initiative hospitals that only affect the English that grates.

So yes I’m a nationalist in that I think England should run its own affairs whether alone or as part of a federal UK, I’m not bothered. I don’t feel any urge to go out and conquer other nations nor dominate them politically. I’m proud of my country and its past history, yes warts and all, because it’s made us what we are, no better or worse than anyone else. Nor do I see any reason whatsoever to apologise for anything done in said past, not for slavery, not for having an empire, nor for bombing Germany during WW2 or anything else the politically correct pressure group loonies want to bring to my attention. Yes we made mistakes in the past, but then again the last guy who never made a mistake got crucified so I see no need to beat myself up on that score.

So, whilst some might see themselves as accidental nationalists, I wont, though the term has been hijacked to an extent by racial/ethnic nationalists. My nationalism is a purer form, simply a great love for this wonderful country England and the English. Not the government, not the political parties or their members, not the racists, nor the radical Islamists nor those who hate patriotism, because they don’t matter. It’s the people who want to be English who matter, who accept tolerance, love their land and who want to preserve all that is good about it who matter. From this stems my intense dislike of the EU and its plans for some sort of new Roman Empire along with its plans to homogenise all nations within as I have very little in common beyond being human with a Croat, or even a Frenchman. This is why I dislike socialism or indeed a lot of political isms in that they often ignore basic human nature or pander to the worst of it by dictatorial authoritarianism, most people just want to be left alone to get on with their lives after all and don’t want to have to deal with the state for anything.

So I’m no accidental nationalist, just not an ordinary one and I feel no pressure to be anything that I’m not, I suspect I’m not alone.

So the question that remains to be asked, is how do we stop those who insist that they have the right to tell us how to live our lives. Voting doesn’t seem to stop them, they seem to have all the guns and have made sure our troops are far away, yet it strikes me that in order to be really free we need now to break the system.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
ย  — ย Thomas Jefferson

I see no other way to do it.

15 comments for “The freedom to be what we are.

1. WitteringWitney
    August 3, 2011 at 7:24 pm

QM: Accept the Jefferson quotation and your comment on it! On an English Parliament, at the present time I have to disagree. Yes we should have one but not whilst we still a member of the EU as all this will do is further the EU’s aim to break up England into nice bite-sized bits through the localism agenda.

We get out, then we totally rejig our democracy, which would include an English Parliament.

2. August 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I found nothing to object to in that – in fact it was a simple statement and hard for anyone to skew around into something else.

The blood of patriots and tyrants – ah, there’s the rub. Just how, exactly?

3. nemesis
    August 3, 2011 at 7:58 pm

“…This is why I dislike socialism”
    I was following comments on this article http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/2011/08/visiting_a_poli.html which mentions “Fabians Window” which I admit to being totally ignorant about, but a bit of research later and it becomes clear why Socialism is surely the biggest threat to our way of life and the EU is full of them which is why we must get out.

4. Patrick Harris
    August 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm

“which is why we must get out”
    I’m free tomorrow, after golf.
    Flippant, I know, but indicative of the English malaise. ๐Ÿ™

• August 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

The first act of the Free English Republic must be to ban golf .)

5. Boots McGonagle
    August 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I didn’t realise I was a nationalist until I was 20 years old: that was the year I went on holiday to France.

• Paul
      August 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Boots McGonagle: I didnโ€™t realise I was a nationalist until I was 20 years old: that was the year I went on holiday to France.

I don’t even feel very nationalist (in the typical British yobbo sense) when I’m abroad. All I think to myself is this: these people in this country are gracious people, proud of their culture and the land. Why on Earth should I not be also?

And that’s that.

• Boots McGonagle
        August 4, 2011 at 4:11 am

Did I imply that I am a typical British yobbo? My seriously profound apologies, Paul … I am a typically Irish yobbo.

6. August 3, 2011 at 9:01 pm

James,

We could start with the MPs, the bankers, the judges and the lawyers. After that, no more blood need be shed.

All will be well, all will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

CR.

• Jeremy Poynton
      August 3, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Brown and Balls as well. Please? We could charge admission and clear the national debt at one stroke.

7. Robert Edwards
    August 4, 2011 at 4:17 am

I must confess that from time to time I want to see blood on the streets and heads in the gutter, with all the lamposts occupied, but the feeling passes when I survey history.

As an aside, I noted with some disdain a monument to the abolition of slavery which was unveiled in, I think, Liverpool, quite recently. All the usual suspects were represented – Wilberforce, etc. But there was one glaring, GLARING omission; The Royal Navy. I wonder whether this was mischief or simple ignorance?

• David
      August 6, 2011 at 9:46 am

I think you already know the answer to that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. August 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

You are most definitely not alone – excellent article.

9. Alfred the OK
    August 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm

….’Iโ€™m proud of my country and its past history, yes warts and all, because itโ€™s made us what we are, no better or worse than anyone else. Nor do I see any reason whatsoever to apologise for anything done in said past, not for slavery, not for having an empire, nor for bombing Germany during WW2 or anything else the politically correct pressure group loonies want to bring to my attention’…..

The things you’ve listed here happened under a Brit’ label – especially the empire and the bombing. Slavery became truly industrialised under a Brit ownership also. It is very very important that distinctions between Brit history and English history are made as clear as can be. Most of the general public get confused and Scots & Welsh nationalists are happy for the mistakes of for example the British Empire to be laid at England’s door. It’s ignorance of our history, and that is half the problem – the other half is the added-on guilt. Our enemies like to burden us with all the wrongdoings of the Brit past in a hope that it will keep us in our place. For instance, England’s battles with Scotland. Ask anyone in the street which country was the aggressor and 99 times out of a hundred you will be told it’s the English bullying, invading, raping etc. Unfortunately the actual facts blow that theory out of the water. An analysis of each and every battle and skirmish since the year 1000 shows that over two thirds of those battles took place on English soil – ie, Scotland was the aggressor.

A national awareness cannot be built up and nurtured unless English people know their history. England isn’t Brit-Lite as the politicians and media would have us believe, we must be very careful to make that as clear as crystal to all.

So, as an English nationlist, I am not embarrassed about carpet bombing Dresden or handing over thousands of White Russians to the Bolsheviks or leaving hundreds of Indians to suffocate in a black hole in Calcutta or realising Bristol and Liverpool made fortunes out of the slave trade – Why? because they were all done under the Brit banner – those warts aint my country’s history’s warts – they are all British…. nowt to do with this English man.

10. David
    August 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

I used to be a left liberal but 13 years of rampant Labour socialism and fundamentalist moslem freaks put paid to that.

Now I am a ‘rabid, racist right-winger and fascist’. It feels great to be liberated from the brainwashing. ๐Ÿ˜€