Rockets from Gaza

The news:

Two rockets from Gaza fell in Israel’s South on Monday evening, just after the IDF’s Home Front Command informed local authorities that the threat level was now reduced.

The rockets fell four days after coordinated terror attacks in Israel’s South, which was followed by IAF bombardment of terrorist targets in Gaza, beginning a new cycle of escalating violence. A ceasefire was announced a day ago, and led to the Home Front’s re-evaluation of the terror threat.

Imagine if radical elements in France decide to lob the occasional rocket into Ely or Kent or Suffolk – oh, perhaps four or five rockets a day, on the basis that England is an abomination which must be wiped off the face of the map and the English must be murdered, every one of them.

The UK government, which still rules England in name, is then required by the EU and UN diktats to just go along with this.  What really galls with the middle-east is the utter hypocrisy of the Arab/Muslim/Palestinian/western Left nexus which tells porkies and refuses to address the key issue of acts of war on Israel, as a sovereign nation, more or less on a daily basis.

And no, I’m not Jewish and yes, Netanyahu is just as much part of Them as Trichet, Rothschild and Rockefeller and he and his kind have caused very unfriendly things to happen. He represents the type of Judaism the world can do without.

However, that does not excuse the Arabs and their vow to wipe the Jews off the face off the earth and it certainly doesn’t excuse left-liberals and lefties in their hypocrisy.  I’ve put this question before about the rockets and all I got in reply was how oppressed the Palestinians are.  Now that’s a topic we can address at some stage but it still doesn’t answer the direct question:

On what basis, under international law,  are the Arabs/Muslims justified in lobbing rockets into some else’s territory?

If you say “because of Israeli atrocities”, then that gets into an IRA/Loyalist circular argument about who is more atrocious than whom.  And it still doesn’t answer the question.

All right, let’s look at the myth of Israel refusing to allow a Palestinian state with reasonable boundaries and including land which can be developed.  Arab League Secretary-General Azzam Pasha on September 16, 1947 made the Arab stance clear:

The Arab world is not in a compromising mood. It’s likely, Mr. Horowitz, that your plan is rational and logical, but the fate of nations is not decided by rational logic. Nations never concede; they fight. You won’t get anything by peaceful means or compromise. You can, perhaps, get something, but only by the force of your arms. We shall try to defeat you. I am not sure we’ll succeed, but we’ll try. We were able to drive out the Crusaders, but on the other hand we lost Spain and Persia. It may be that we shall lose Palestine. But it’s too late to talk of peaceful solutions.

There you have it.  Israel accepted the UN proposal but the Arabs refused it and launched war against the fledgling state, composed of citizenry which had every right to be in their historic homeland.

The armies of Egypt, Syria, Transjordan, Lebanon and Iraq invaded Israel on May 15, 1947, the day after Israel’s Independence Day, with the clear intention of killing the infant state in its cradle.

On May 15, 1947 Azzam Pasha called for “jihad”, saying:

This will be a war of extermination and a momentous massacre which will be spoken of like the Mongolian massacres and the Crusades”.

Haj Amin al-Husseini, the Mufti of Jerusalem, agreed with Pasha:

I declare a holy war, my muslim brothers! Murder the Jews! Murder them all!

Again, there it is. Note the jump from wiping out a fledgling Israeli state, which at least can be argued about, to “murder the jews – murder them all”. Slight difference, wouldn’t you say?

Which brings us to the Iranian madman and his latest call to wipe out all Jews. I can tell you how the Left will answer this – they’ll either ignore it or bring in all sorts of other issues, e.g. the phosphorus in the last Israeli retaliation in Gaza, the settlements and so on – everything except addressing the issue raised here.

17 comments for “Rockets from Gaza

1. August 28, 2011 at 6:42 am

” I can tell you how the Left will answer this – they’ll either ignore it or bring in all sorts of other issues…”

A depressingly accurate prediction, I suspect.

• LJH
      August 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

After long observation, I have come to the conclusion that, to be a successful lefty, one has to hone one’s reflexes to respond correctly to any given situation. A reflex by definition is an action that bypasses entirely the cerebral cortex, and thus consciousness and critical analysis.

• Thornavis.
        August 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm

To be fair it isn’t just the left who have this irrational dislike of Israel there’s a widespread attitude across the political spectrum that it’s mainly Israel’s fault that the Middle east is such a mess. I think it’s because Israel is seen as a nuisance, if it wasn’t there the thinking goes then we could all just ignore the fundies and get on with sucking up to the oil rich states, it’s cynical and stupid but entirely to be expected given the sort of political establishment we have. The left of course have a rather wider agenda, Israel to them is a vulnerable western proxy that can safely be attacked and whose demise would further the greater project of bringing down capitalism.

2. john in cheshire
    August 28, 2011 at 9:50 am

From what I have read, there is no such thing as a Palestinian. There are only arabs who live in a land known as Palestine. They may more correctly be regarded as Jordanian. And like it or not, Jews existed millenia before a muslim was even thought about. But then, Christians had been around for centuries before these parvenues came along and started to cause trouble for everyone. I know who I’d like to see wiped from the face of the earth and it isn’t the Jews. Or Israel. Like you JH, I’m not a Jew, I’m Christian but I know evil when I see it.

• Thornavis.
      August 28, 2011 at 5:51 pm

You’re a Christian and you’d like to see people wiped from the face of the Earth ? Yet another reason why I’m glad to be an atheist.

• August 28, 2011 at 5:54 pm

WTF are you talking about? The Arabs want the Jews wiped off the face of the earth, not the Christians. Engage brain before mouthing off.

• Thornavis.
          August 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I suggest you engage your eyes before insulting me. I was responding to john in cheshire’s comment about knowing who he’d like to see wiped from the face of the Earth, the implication being Arabs/Muslims. Even if that wasn’t what he meant I find it repellent when anyone talks about wiping anyone else out.

• August 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm

The argument was specious – one doesn’t become an atheist because of one man’s comments. One takes a view based on the totality. I also did not insult you but took issue with the argument. You, Thornavis, I don’t know well enough to either insult or not.

• Thornavis.
            August 28, 2011 at 7:49 pm

James Higham.
            There doesn’t seem to be a reply box on your last comment so I’m replying to myself. I’m not bothered about being insulted but when you tell someone to stop mouthing off that looks like a bit of an insult to me, compounded by completely misunderstanding what I was saying anyway. Which you still seem to be doing, do you really think I’m an atheist because of one man’s comments ? I wasn’t making an argument either just an observation, that if a Christian was prepared to talk about wiping someone out ( in contradiction to Christian teaching ) then that was another reason for being glad that I don’t adhere to that or any religion. I take it that you now accept that I wasn’t saying that Christians were seeking to wipe out Jews ?

• August 28, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Yes, that’s what it does, unfortunately – it allows replies to replies down a few layers and thereafter, any reply is to the last one with the reply button still there. It still places your reply in the correct order though.

I’ll have a look at whether we can increase the depth.

UPDATE: I’ve increased nesting to 7 comments. See how that goes.

3. Robert Edwards
    August 28, 2011 at 10:17 am

The blatant antisemitism of the Left is rather hard to pin down in the light of recent (and not-so-recent) history. I often wonder when it started to happen; I suspect it was between 1967 and 1974. In part, of course, it’s a simple matter of anti-Americanism, as Israel is a ‘client state’. But Syria has long been a client state of Russia.

Embarrassing it is for the average swivel-eyed lefty that whenever there is a clash of arms between Soviet kit and Western kit, whoever is silly enough to use the former ends up getting their arses kicked. It started in Korea and has been carrying on ever since. I suppose Vietnam was the exception.

I once asked an ’eminent’ beeboid (please forgive the oxymoron): “Why the fuck do all you people hate Jews so much?” He had the grace to look shocked, but I was unconvinced. Somewhere in the mix is a naive support for ‘the underdog’ but that doesn’t convince me either.

As for ‘the Arabs’ they represent the junior (i.e. newest) of the faiths (apart from the Moonies or Jehovah’s witnesses, I suppose), and they are touchy about that. With some justification.

But the left will not be caught in open debate on this matter – they dare not. Instead, they use their malign influence to make propaganda. And I am tired of it.

• August 28, 2011 at 10:40 am

I too am tired of it. As one of the admins at OoL, I always have to look at whether my posts are appropriate or not for OoL and come back, every time, to our prime directive, which was to present a vaguely centre-right/libertarian stance, tuned in to the theme of liberty, basically the liberty to live as one wishes, at peace, without being interfered with by outsiders, e.g. the State.

On the grounds that that is being denied to people living in the south of Israel, the post is appropriate. We could also extend our prime directive to include the fisking of humbug and Julia does that the whole time. As the comments above illustrate, there is also much humbug in the leftist stand on this middle-east issue and that’s a further justification for the post, IMHO.

4. Robert Edwards
    August 28, 2011 at 11:14 am

James, this is a matter which will not and should not go away. It behoves all of us of the tendency which you describe to stand up and be counted. The behaviour of the lefty media in this matter is both dishonest and dishonourable. The latter seems to be an alien concept at present and I cannot see any reversal on the horizon. To be sure, Netanyahu is a pain, but who, in the light of the history of the State of Israel, can blame him?

A more disturbing tendency I have noticed (and I have, for various reasons, several close Jewish friends) is anti-Israeli sentiments on the part of Jews themselves. So perhaps the propaganda is as successful as I feared it would be when I first noticed it.

So: Say it, say it again. People will listen.

5. David A. Evans
    August 28, 2011 at 11:21 am

Weren’t the “Palestinians” ejected by every Arab country they tried to settle in?

6. August 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Not much argument from me except to add that I’ve long felt both peoples are poorly served by their governments/leaders, but then that old cliché about peoples getting the governments they deserve keeps coming back to me. Still, can’t be denied that Israel seems to be doing most of the compromising lately and the Palestinians keep choosing leaders who won’t accept compromise.

• August 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm

You’re right that both are poorly served and Haaretz writers are saying just that. As are Al Jazeera.

7. Revolution Harry
    August 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I’m surprised you haven’t realised that to blame the ‘Palestinians’ or for that matter the ‘Israelis’ is to miss what is actually happening. To see this as a left/right issue is to also fall into the carefully prepared trap/dialectic. This conflict is being intentionally maintained by Them until the opportune moment. Indeed Israel is Their creation.

From reading the comments I’m not sure who is worse. The ‘left’ who ignore the actions of the Palestinians or the ‘right’ who excuse the actions of the Israelis. Caught in the middle are the ordinary people who just want to lie peaceful lives.