Conspiracy theories

Oh no, not another one!

It does seem to be the season for it though, doesn’t it? Ten years after the attack on the world trade centre and all the old theories have come back out of the woodwork, if they ever really went in, for a fresh airing.

Don’t worry, I’m not about to tell you that the twin towers were brought down by a controlled demolition, a missile hit the Pentagon or the whole kit and caboodle was a false flag operation to gain a good excuse for invading sovereign foreign nations. You’ve heard all that before, I just want to talk about the phenomenon of the conspiracy in general.

Why do they happen? What kind of people start them off and what kind of people believe in them whole heartedly?

It’s always the extremely high profile events, and with the exception of the moon landings, those that shock people and take them out of their comfort zone.

No one starts a conspiracy theory about a minor news event. It’s always the big hitters. I’m of the opinion that some people cannot fathom that a huge event that forces them to question their personal safety of their world view can just happen without unseen forces at work behind the scenes.

Can a lone gunman with a rifle kill the president of the United States, just like that?

Can a ragtag bunch of terrorists take out three thousand human lives in an instant, just like that?

Is it possible that a much loved and respected British princess can be killed in a car crash because her driver had had one scoop too many?

Can these things be so simple? Of course not, because that would make us vulnerable. That would cause us to question our core beliefs, something that it is almost impossible to make most people do.

Have you ever tried to convince a religious person that God does not exist? Don’t bother. Don’t even get involved in the conversation. Core beliefs are sacrosanct to most people. Changing them is just as likely as being struck by lightening on your way to collect on your winning lottery ticket.

The internet also plays it’s part. It was months before the conspiracy theories about the assassination of JFK began to be aired. When the twin towers were attacked, the theories were on the internet the same day.

I’m somewhat of a conspiracy theory buff myself. I don’t believe them, I just like to analyse them. The Quiet Man asked a question the other day about the moon landing conspiracy. Apparently a NASA ship had taken photographs of the moons surface showing all the crap left behind from the Apollo missions, putting that particular conspiracy to bed once and for all.

He says:

I listened to it back in 1969 with most of the rest of the world and was thrilled by it as much as I expect any American was too. Why some people had to try and spoil it I don’t know

Well I have a theory. The moon landings were the crowning scientific achievement of all time. They made three astronauts, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and the other one, famous the world over. It wasn’t just about the astronauts though. There were three quarters of a million people involved in the Apollo program, from the astronauts right down to the various contractors who made the bits of technology.

That’s a lot of people who can say they were involved in the moon landings. Even if all you did was clean the bathroom that Neil Armstrong used before he left, you can say you were involved and you have a talking point at parties that will have everyone stood listening to you with rapt attention.

Of course the people involved were at the top of their particular field. For an achievement like this, the US government would have only used the best.

What if you were not quite the best? If you were a scientist who wanted to be involved in the project for the fame, but didn’t quite make the grade, there’s no other possible way you could achieve that kind of stardom on any other project ever.

Unless. If you were the chap who proved that the moon landings never happened, if you could prove the whole thing was faked by the government, that gets you your fame.

Being the one that spotted and exposed the deception would get your picture on the cover of Time Magazine, wouldn’t it?

Trouble is, the moon landings were not faked and all those attention seekers just ended up joining the ranks of all the other conspiracy theorists throughout history.

Be it a quest to re-affirm your own illusions about life or to seek unearned fame, there will always be people with a vested interest in creating and believing the conspiracy.

And as Longrider points out, whenever a disaster happens, there will always be unanswered questions. It’s these questions that are used to create the theory. It’s an attempt to fill in blanks with conjecture.

There will always be unanswered questions that can’t be answered. That’s normal.

9/11, the topic of the day is the example he uses. The theory goes that the twin towers and building seven were brought down by controlled demolitions. If you watch the video footage, that’s exactly what it looks like.

Longrider thinks that theory has been thoroughly debunked. It hasn’t.

The pancake theory says that the trusses holding up each floor, having inadequate fireproofing to deal with the temperatures involved, melted causing one floor to collapse straight down onto the next, then the next and so on.

That theory has also been debunked by those that believe in the controlled demolition story.

That’s the problem with unanswered questions. When one group makes up a story to fill in the blanks, another group come up with another story that fits their reasoning. At the end of the day it all comes back down to your core beliefs.

We are told that it wasn’t a plane that hit the Pentagon but a cruise missile, because a plane would never have fit through the small hole in the building.

Are we supposed to believe that the US government killed all the passengers, somehow disposed of the plane and replaced it with a missile, rather than just using the plane itself? Come on.

But what do TPTB tell us? The wings and tail of the plane folded inwards and followed the body of the jet through the hole. Yeah, and if my Grandmother had balls…

The pictures on The Quiet Mans blog, of the junk left behind from the Apollo missions should do away with the moon landing conspiracy once and for all, but those with a vested interest in believing the landings were faked, will also be able to ‘prove’ that these pictures were faked. We can’t know. Any more than we can’t know the moon isn’t made of cheese because we never went there.

Reading all this chatter about conspiracies on a blog site about Liberty, one might well ask where this fits in.

Well the ultimate loss of liberty is having your life taken away. If it’s at all possible that a government would do such a thing then it needs to be talked about.

The invasions of Afganistan and Iraq, coupled with the terrible loss of liberty we have suffered since 9/11 could well be reason enough for a government to kill three thousand of it’s citizens, if they thought they could get away with it. It has provided an excuse for western governments to take more control of it’s people than any ‘democratic’ government in history, while still maintaining the illusion of freedom.

The space race between America and the USSR was a large part of the cold war. The first to reach the moon would ultimately be the winners of the cold war. Would a government fake the biggest scientific achievement of mankind to win a war?

If the answers to these questions are yes then we are in trouble. If no, we can carry on with the knowledge that things are bad but at least they aren’t that bad.

I know what I believe…

(When I went to publish this on Orphans, I realised I had lost my password. Dark forces must be at work…)

29 comments for “Conspiracy theories

1. September 12, 2011 at 6:51 am

My only doubt about 9-11 being an inside job is the huge number of people that would have to be in the know and how come they have all remained silent.
    Unless they put them on United 93 and crashed them into Pennsylvania.

Just as with the “killing of Bin Laden” the truth may be on the US Governments side but we know that, if not outright lying to us, they are witholding the information that they should have (Pentagon CCTV, bombers getting on flights) if they are telling the truth.

• September 12, 2011 at 7:09 am

They do have airport CCTV of the bombers going through screening though, don’t they?

• September 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

They also claim to have a passport that flew out of someones pocket, survived the explosion and made it’s way to the street :mrgreen:

As Banned says though, there would have to be so many people involved that someone would come out with it eventually, or even slip up. Same with the moon landings.

• banned
        September 13, 2011 at 8:45 am

I thought they had only provided CCTV of the perps on connecting flights.

2. September 12, 2011 at 7:08 am

“For reasons that baffle, the US government will not release the video footage of the plane that hit the Pentagon. You would think they would in order to shut the theorists up, but it wouldn’t work anyway.”

I thought they didn’t have any? The carpark CCTV being the only one?

• September 12, 2011 at 8:36 am

They have CCTV from a building over the road; a hotel if my memory serves me correctly.
      The FBI confiscated the tapes almost immediately.
      They released a few frames at the time but it just shows an explosion, the bit with the plane is missing. A couple of years later they released a few more frames, apparently to stop the conspiracy theory, but again it didn’t show the plane, just more of the explosion.

• September 12, 2011 at 10:01 am

Given the route I don’t think it’s that surprising that nobody had a camera pointing at the plane or that part of the Pentagon at impact – the final part of the flight when a crash would have looked imminent would have taken place over Fort Meyer, which probably would have had CCTV cameras but not pointing at the sky, Arlington National Cemetery, which unlike NYC doesn’t seem the sort of place which would have lots of people wandering around with cameras, and the South Washington Boulevard, where you’d expect people to be driving rather than filming.

I’d speculate that there is no film that unquestionably shows a plane hitting the Pentagon, and whatever the FBI got from the hotel (yeah, I think it was a hotel too) didn’t show an obvious plane to shut up the missile people so some idiot decided not to release it. Governments can be shit at media management (remember that at this time on the other side of the Pond Jo Moore is busy digging her career grave with her mouth) and have a default position of not telling anybody anything in case it frightens the horses. Better to have been open and said that it doesn’t show much but anyone who wants a shufti is welcome to do so, and while the lack of plane on the tape wouldn’t have killed speculation the open policy would have dealt it a nasty blow.

Actually I may be being a little unfair on the FBI here. I suppose it’s also possible that at the time someone was thinking about this as a criminal case (IMO it should always have been treated as such) and was concerned about evidence being in the public domain before a courtroom. I lean towards stupidity as I tend to use Hanlon’s Razor as much as Occam’s but it’s only fair to point out that someone may honestly have believed there was a good reason to sit on it at the time.

• September 12, 2011 at 10:22 am

Sounds plausible.
          I don’t know much about video resolution and stuff but I’ve just been back and looked at the stuff on Youtube and I’m wondering if a plane travelling at 555mph would be more than just a blur

• September 12, 2011 at 10:04 am

Yes, I think thats the bit I’ve seen.

3. Bill
    September 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

The problem is simple. Governments lie every single day. They lie so much it is impossible to work out what is fact and what is fiction.

Whether this is deliberate and used to control people as cheaply as possible or it’s just compounded stupidity is unknown. The end result is the truth becomes irrelevant.

• September 12, 2011 at 9:05 am

Probably a bit of both 😉

4. September 12, 2011 at 8:48 am

You can’t be serious? As I have posted today, Larry Silverstein has already admitted to ‘pulling’ WTC 7. Another telling episode is when the gaff prone President Bush inadvertantly slips into NWO cover story for if and when the demolition charges had been discovered in the Twin Towers.

As for the Moon… all I know is that a Hassie doesn’t offer film much protection from the fogging effects of ambient radiation.

• September 12, 2011 at 9:21 am

I can’t be serious? The video you link to says, “Could these be the explosives Mossad placed.

• September 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

That’s just the title the poster gave it… look at the contents Einstein.

• September 12, 2011 at 10:13 am

All right, ease down.
          I did look at the contents of the video.
          My intention with this article, was not to discuss my personal beleifs about 9/11, but to talk about why I beleive conspiracies begin in the first place.

I pointed to ideas from both sides that sound plausible or silly without going into my own beleifs.

Just because I didn’t jump in with, “It was definately an inside job”, doesn’t mean ‘I can’t be serious’. You don’t know, I may beleive that.

• September 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm

“I did look at the contents of the video.”

Well… what did you think?

“Oh no, not another one!

• September 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm

“Well… what did you think?”

I think George Bush is an utter moron. Apart from that it contains a brief statement about explosives being planted high up. ?? I’ll listen to it again when I get home, it’s difficult at work.

“Oh no, not another one!”

was refering to another post on a subject that’s been aired a l lot here recently.

“It does seem to be the season for it though, doesn’t it? Ten years after the attack on the world trade centre and all the old theories have come back out of the woodwork… ”

The theories are all getting a fresh airing because of the anniversary.

“Not really sitting on the fence turns of phrase are they… Provocative more like…”

No provocation at all, given or implied. Maybe you’re reading to far in to it. You seem annoyed because I haven’t hailed to the thoery. You don’t know my stance on this because I haven’t stated it. That was not the intention of the post.

“Re Larry Silverstein… If you had a neighbour who took out a multi million pound life insurance policy on his wife… six weeks before she died in a ‘controversial’ accident… and changed his working habits on that same day… would you not find it a tad suspicious? TPTB certainly don’t”

I would certainly find it suspicious, however it is possible for someone to die shortly after a policy has been taken out on them and there be nothing untoward about it.

The real question is, did the insurance company pay out or did they beleive there was nothing wrong?

• September 13, 2011 at 9:03 am

In the Larry Silverstein interview he say they decided to ‘pull’ WTC7, then watched it fall.
              How long does it take from making the decision to blow up a building to get everything in place and actually do it properly?

5. September 12, 2011 at 10:25 am

I wanted to see what people said first.

OK, there is a danger in conflating. Now Bucko hasn’t done that but others have [not necessarily in comments at this site], and it’s moronic, excuse my French. A moon landing is an entirely different thing to a Hurricane Katrina or a 911. They need to be looked at dispassionately but one good rule of thumb is that the Official version is likely to be crap, until proven otherwise.

There are people who’ll believe anything and then there are people like me whose first instinct is not to believe. That so many auto-believed the official line on 911 I found staggering, particularly at a time when even those people are admitting that lies abound.

You can’t apply rigid investigation to one area and blindly believe another. The method is to test out all. Now, with the NIST report, there are serious flaws. That’s all.

I don’t conflate that with the twin towers or the planes or David Kelly or Diana or the beheadings in Iraq or bin Laden because each incident needs its own investigation.

Let me quote from a post coming up on deconstruction in the 90s and a different approach to problem solving in other disciplines:

This focus, coupled with the strong emphasis on discussion/all
    viewpoints/problem solving is I think crucial. The gulf between that and the confrontational academic ‘point scoring’ debate which has to be ‘won’ is immense.

Too many people form camps and rustle up a set of insults to hurl at the other side – truther, birther, conspiracy theorist, tinfoil hat etc. and you have to look at the minds of people who indulge in this bilge.

That quote just now does. It says that in real investigation, everything’s laid on the table and the truth is drawn from that. Any policeman or insurance investigator can tell you that. They don’t put all the evidence on the table and then divide into camps – the Station Roaders versus the High Streeters or whatever the investigation was about.

They sit around and all throw what they have into the mix. From that, conclusions are usually indicated by the evidence.

That’s not to say there’s no collusion and it’s truly moronic to say there’s no collusion, that people do not join together in campaigns and projects – they clearly do. Why so much effort is expended denying that people work together is jawdropping. Some very serious denial going on there, particularly when covering up is precisely what anyone colluding would wish to do – they’re hardly likely to make it easy to uncover, are they?

The bottom line then is just take it case by case and don’t conflate.

• September 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

Questioning everything is ok but there is also a danger of going too far and making a conspiracy out of every event.

Thousands of photographs were taken on the Apollo missions, but a few that didn’t look quite right sparked a conspiracy theory. (Amongst other things). I was never taken in by the moon landing conspiracy, even for a minute. Just because a version of events is ‘official’, it doesn’t make it a lie.

I am always happy to question the official version of events if shown evidence or a need to do so. Spherical drones and Mossad agents would not cause me to bat an eyelid. Neither would Elvis being sighted in Gillingham. Other things would make me stand up and take notice.

• james Higham
        September 12, 2011 at 11:16 am

Yes it did and for the record, I think they went there. There’s a danger though of auto-believing and autodenying without appropriately and thoroughly investigating. That’s what these engineers did with WTC7 and they said, “Hey, there’s something astray here.”

Now if they’d been from some site called “Conspiracy Theory Today” or whatever, I’d still have looked at what they had to say but would have been sceptical. However, these were not kooks quoted in that post and that’s the problem here.

There was something wrong with NIST. That’s as far as it went. Others can bring in all sorts of extraneous things about conflating different events but I’d prefer to just zero in on that one thing. So far, no one has answered that science with science.

6. September 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm

No one has answered my question about the Hasselblad either!

Every time this subject comes up ‘Conspiracy Theory’ raises it’s ugly head… People who believe in controlled demolition, therefore, must believe in Roswell etc ad nauseum.

• james Higham
      September 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Sigh. No need to believe anything. Just look at the evidence. It does the believing for you.

• September 12, 2011 at 3:03 pm

That’s a fair point. Doubtless there are some who believe a conspiracy/conspiracies were behind every major event from the assassination of Lincoln through the sinking of the Titanic, Roswell, the killing of JFK, Project Apollo, the deaths of Janis Joplin, Buddy Holly, Princesses Grace and Diana, and Australian cricket, and 9/11, Madrid and 7/7 (though seemingly not events like the Bishopsgate bomb – that’s always just a bunch of violent Irishmen 😉 ). Most probably believe only some and maybe only one or two of those involved conspiracies and wish that others didn’t lump them in with what they see as the real crazies who believe the Illuminati control the selectors for Cricket Australia or whatever they see as being too far fetched. Though it was a highly convenient time for Ricky Ponting to ‘break’ his finger in the third test… coincidence? Really? Not broken for him, perhaps as a reminder to the rest that a 1st innings collapse was expected of them the next week in Melbourne?

As for the question about the film, my own experience of having shoved a lot of film both exposed and unexposed through airport x-rays, which everyone said would muller it, is that it’s a lot more tolerant than than we’re lead to believe. I never had any problems even with rolls that went through 3-4 times. I’d guess that we’re still talking far less radiation and that wouldn’t have been enough for Apollo, so having spent eleventy squillion on a bunch of rockets they might have thought ‘In for a penny, in for a pound’ and spent money on modifying the cameras they were sending up. Might have used a non-standard film as well, though there’s probably little scope for gains to be made there, but certainly they could have kept the pre-loaded canisters in a fairly radiation resistant part of the spacecraft until they were ready for use and then put back in there as soon as the moonwalk was complete. The alternative is, as with so many conspiracy theories, believing that an implausibly large number of people were in on it – few of whom are obviously wealthy and some of whom will talk in their sleep and some who’ll have ended up with Alzheimer’s and babbling their life history in a home somewhere – and have managed to keep their silence since.

The inverse of your point also applies. Every time this comes up ‘buying the official narrative’ raises its ugly head… People who accept it must trustingly swallow everything the government says, etc etc. Personally I’m inclined to double-check if the government said my arse had a hole in it, but sometimes the official line really is the most plausible. Or least incredible if you prefer. Perhaps I have to accept that England got good just as I left the country thinking that I’d at least have a winning cricket team to cheer for the first time in my life. 😆

7. Stu
    September 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Very interesting viewpoints, I often wonder myself why I am interested in the conspiracy theories and even though there may be no definitive answers, either yet or ever, the fact remains that often what we’re told by the people that are supposed to inform us just doesn’t add up! You don’t have to have a list of qualifications as long as your arm to come to this conclusion, just an enquiring mind coupled with an outlook of healthy skepticism.
    If you read the website http://www.iamthewitness.com and study the Rothschild Timeline even though it’s amazing that if true these people have that much control over the world, it would make sense of some of the events of the last 200 odd years!
    I can’t help remembering the quote of Gutle Schnaper, the wife of Mayer Amschel Rothschild, who on her deathbed nonchalantly stated “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.”
    Coming further up to date please look at ‘Operation Northwoods’ information on which was only released in 1997, although it was never enacted it just goes to show what the thought processes can be with governments who think the end justifies the means.
    So, bearing all this in mind, I don’t think that false flag operations, killing your own people to justify your actions and misleading the public for years could be far from the truth, certainly not in all cases the rantings of a ‘tinfoil hat wearer’
    Not in all cases is there enough information to join all the dots, but there is enough doubt and disinformation to not believe everything we’re told, blindly accepting the msm outpourings just seems madness!
    Right up to date now, Tony Blair has just become a Godparent to one of the Murdoch clan! 🙄 More dots joined methinks!

8. September 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Does anybody else hear both conspiracy theory and Gruyère-like Government statements redacted for ‘security’ reasons and inwardly groan? At the conspiracy theorists for boring everyone within earshot, and the Government for only letting out half the truth, when all the facts would have put the matter to bed once and for all.

Everyone seems to be talking bollocks and I’d like it on record that I couldn’t fucking care less what they say. Surely there are more pressing matters?

• September 13, 2011 at 9:01 am

“Surely there are more pressing matters?”
      I suppose that depends on your point of view. If you beleive the official line then yes, more important things are cropping up every day. If you beleive that the Yanks attacked their own people then there will be nothing more important than exposing that.
      We fight the climate change myth tooth and nail because we beleive the government are lying to us for their own ends at our expense and we want to stop it.

• September 13, 2011 at 9:17 am