Admin Note

While I eschew the Total Politics annual blogging fest, neither voting myself nor soliciting votes from others, even I, arch cynic that I am, cannot but notice that an awful lot of people must have voted for this place for it to storm into the libertarian category at number 13 a mere five months from its inception.

So, from James, Julia, Chuck and I, thank you to all those who made it possible; the people who write the articles, the ones who take the time to read and comment and of course, those who decided that we were worth voting for.

Thankyou.

18 comments for “Admin Note

1. September 16, 2011 at 9:08 am

It does you all great credit to go straight into the charts. Keep up the good work (and try to avoid some of your more eccentric digressions) and I see no reason not to hope you will make it to the top in years to come.

• September 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

and try to avoid some of your more eccentric digressions

I can’t imagine what you mean… 😈

I trust things are looking better for you of late.

• james Higham
        September 16, 2011 at 10:45 am

You mean researched material on topics of interest, Tom? There are a lot of people who appreciate that and have said so here. Or are you suggesting we indulge in some sort of censorship where only topics and accepted mainstream points of view are tolerated? That’s a most libertarian thing to do, of course. πŸ˜‰

• September 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I don’t think “try to avoid” can really be construed as a call for censorship. And while I think that “eccentric digressions” is a very polite way of categorising some of the posts that have emerged on this site, I can agree with you, James (woo-hoo!), that it would be completely contradictory for a site dedicated to liberty to stop people from writing about what they want. No matter how “eccentric” those pieces of writing may be.

• September 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Yes, I thought the “eccentric digressions” comment rather gentle πŸ˜‰

• james Higham
              September 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Ah, tag team I see. πŸ˜‰

2. September 16, 2011 at 10:13 am

I should be upset.

You nicked my spot!

Very pleased for OoL though.

CR.

3. James Strong
    September 16, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Congratulations. I come here almost every day,sometimes more than once, when I have access to the internet.That tells you what I think of your site.
    There’s a lot of very good stuff;well done.

Since you’ve headed the post Admin Note,here’s some Admin: how about putting a link at the foot of each post to the next post. Leg-Iron does this.
    Or put it at the top of the page like Samizdata do.

At the moment I have to go back to the homepage each time, then on to the next post.

If, in my computer naivety, I am missing something then please let me know.

• September 16, 2011 at 12:30 pm

It will be something to do with the theme, I expect.

Chuck can you answer this?

• james Higham
      September 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm

If there’s a plug-in for it, I’ll do it on Sunday [out from now to then] and if not, then perhaps I can do it manually for the interim. It’s dead easy to do – the ahref and url. With a magazine format, the idea was to click on the post header and it gave a target blank but it doesn’t seem to do that.

OK, shall speak with Chuckles and see what we can put in – it would definitely help.

• Chuckles
        September 16, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Good suggestion JS, I don’t use the feature much myself, but I know several folk who do.
        I’ll check and see what I can implement.

• September 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Well, it seems ask and ye shall receive, eh?

• September 17, 2011 at 6:20 am

Now that’s service!

• September 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Excellent. Small but needed feature for the Orphanage IMO, at least for those of us who like to read post heavy blogs like a paper.

• james Higham
        September 17, 2011 at 5:26 am

If we can’t find such a plug-in or one good enough, there is another solution – an eccentric one πŸ˜‰ – and that is to think laterally and change the theme. We currently have a magazine style which returns you to the front page as online newspapers do.

We put in the “blog looking” downwards arrangement of posts so you could see them quickly from the front page but of course, they have the limitation mentioned. I recently looked about at themes for my own blog in WP and frankly, they weren’t that great.

We shall be conferencing on it though and getting a solution soon.

4. September 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Well done Chuck, James, Longrider, JuliaM. And especially thanks to James for posting my caricatures, apparently it’s a bit of a faff.

• September 17, 2011 at 6:21 am

But worth it! What other blog has a resident artist?