Naughty Little Children

Like naughty little children, we are ignoring the warnings about alcohol according to the current health minister who is indistinguishable from the previous health minister.

Apparently, we do not accept the harm that alcohol can do to our bodies. I would suggest that people do understand –  a certain Ms Winehouse died through alcohol excess, we are informed today. I would also suggest that many of us have witnessed excess at some point in our lives. We are well aware that the liver can give up when overwhelmed as happened to George Best. There is plenty of evidence that we have all seen at some point to warn us that alcohol can do a great deal of harm to our bodies

If we drink too much of it.

And that is the crux of the matter. I see little if any evidence that the majority drink too much of it. Social drinkers are in no danger of coming to any harm. The government guidelines about what is safe is pure fiction and people are realising this. Sure, if like Winehouse you down three bottles of vodka in a session, then alcohol poisoning is a very real possibility. If, like Best, you spend a lifetime drinking heavily, then cirrhosis will follow, but for the majority, a few pints during an evening out or a wine with a meal will not cause harm because the body will get rid of it quickly enough. What is too much will vary from one individual to another, but I’ve come across very few people who can be deemed to be drinking too much and that includes the alcoholism I’ve encountered.

The government is finding out that if you shout loud and often about a terrible happening that actually doesn’t happen, then people will switch off. I believe there was a fable about just such a thing.

Still, undeterred, the blue socialists are planning on following in the footsteps of heir illustrious predecessors and pushing ahead with their temperance policy regardless of the facts:

She said the Department of Health was in “ongoing discussions” with the Treasury on how alcohol pricing could be used to encourage safer drinking.

But she said setting a minimum price per unit was “probably illegal”.

There’s no “probably” about it. It is illegal. That’s what remaining in the EU means, they set the laws and the law says you can’t do it. And even if you could, any form of taxation that is designed to modify behaviour is immoral. Tax, a necessary evil at best should be used solely for the purposes of funding the state, not to be used as a stick to modify our lifestyles.

Still, Ms Milton does get one thing right:

And there was, she acknowledged, a “difficulty” with guidelines full stop because people were inclined to disbelieve any messages about what to do – and what not to do – that come from government.

This is because they are lying, conniving charlatans who cannot be trusted to be honest or truthful. While they continue to peddle the myths about safe limits of alcohol, that will continue to be the case.

10 comments for “Naughty Little Children

1. October 27, 2011 at 9:44 pm

It’s getting so that I can’t afford red wine any more and I’m worried about my health from this withdrawal. There are all sorts of goodies in that wine I’m now missing out on.

2. john in cheshire
    October 27, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I think these people should be made to declare their own alcohol consumption. How much they drink and when; what they drink and how. They’re all probably closet alcoholics. I’ll bet that they all drink more than they are presuming to tell the rest of us to drink; and I suggest that most of what they drink is paid for by the rest of us.

• October 27, 2011 at 10:48 pm

That wouldn’t surprise me in the least. I am suspicious of pietists — secular or religious.

My family and I spent a year in the Southern US (because of my dad’s work). A lot of religious hypocrites lived there at the time. They said they never drank but either had stashes hidden somewhere in the house or took a short ride from a ‘dry’ (no alcohol sold) county to a ‘wet’ one on a Saturday night.

I do wonder if there is some attempt at prohibition (drinks and tabs) whether the same prohibitionists will come out in favour of legalising dope, LSD, ketamine and the like.

3. October 28, 2011 at 2:26 am

“any form of taxation that is designed to modify behaviour is immoral” Which is exactly why and how they have taxed tobacco for the past forty years. An annual increment designed to make just a few of us give up without reducing total revenue.

The Beeb pounced on Amys Alcoholism citing as “proof” the 3 empty vodka bottles in her flat. I often have many more than 3 empty vodka bottles at home because I choose to visit the bottle bank only once a month or so. 😛

• October 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

I think you’ll find that in Amy Winehouse’s case, the proof was in her blood stream. Like George Best before her, she was a classic problem drinker. Three bottles in one session would have done for her and would account for the blood alcohol levels.

4. David C
    October 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm

It’s not all bad news. Looks like the Government has pulled the plug on Alcohol Concern.
    h/t Chris Snowden

• October 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Now that is good news. Indeed, excellent news.

• Lord T
      October 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Aww.How sad just when it comes the time of alcohol to be demonised the government runs out of money. 🙂

• October 28, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Does anyone have a bio for Don Shenker? His name sounds North American. Have tried researching his background without success.

I doubt we’ve heard the last of him. We’ll probably see a new fake charity with him at the helm just in time for Christmas festivities.

• October 29, 2011 at 7:12 am