This time next year

It’s only a couple of days away from the time we will all (mostly) be sitting down to a huge Christmas feast with friends and family, indulging in a good few scoops and having a couple of days off work.

I’ll be fully taking advantage of this time to relax and stop worrying about the world for a few days.

It may be the last such opportunity for a while. If things continue on their current trend, this time next year may be a whole lot worse than it is now.

This year has seen events unfold a lot worse than the disaster that was New Labour. The ConDem coalition has picked up where Labour left off and upped the anti. The more naive, such as myself, believed that things would get better once Labour were thrown out. How wrong we were.

The financial markets are on the verge of total collapse. We’re not talking about a situation that can be fixed with restructuring or bailouts, this is bordering on the end of the financial system as we know it (Jim). Some even believe that this will have taken place by the time we are finishing off our turkey.

The people reading this blog likely think that this is a serious situation that needs to be dealt with before we are all reduced to fighting over the last tin of beans. The powers that be, the creators of this mess disagree. They are still happy to throw away billions of pounds propping up the EU, in foreign aid, on useless ‘essential’ public services and on denormalisation programs targeting non approved members of society.

They have plenty of followers egging them on too, from the rioters of the summer who want what they think they entitled to, through the public sector workers who took to the streets last month to the UKuncut and Occupy groups who want the needless spending to be increased.

The fight against smokers is continuing at a tremendous pace. Where some of us expected the smoking ban to be relaxed with a change of government, instead we’ve had attempts to ban smoking in public streets, in cars and even in the home is now being discussed as a real possibility.

It’s not stopped with smokers either. The slippery slope that was never supposed to happen is now public policy. Campaign groups, including those that used to be charities are targeting people who don’t eat approved foods, with vehemence.

Calls for Government intervention in the eating habits of the population are happening on a daily basis. Education has not made the people change their habits so legislation is now a real possibility, particularly where children are concerned. Children that are deemed to be overweight are already being taken from their parents. Health propaganda is rife in schools even to the point of lunchboxes being searched and unhealthy food being confiscated.

Alcohol is on the same path with minimum pricing a real possibility in the new year. The pub industry has already been decimated, yet those who drink supermarket booze at home are the new irresponsible drinkers and therefore the next target.

Political correctness has not only gone mad, it’s totally certifiable. You can now be arrested for the simple act of displaying a Gollywog in your window or singing a turn in a pub. This is because the right not to be offended has now been enshrined in British law. As anybody can choose to be offended by anything, this is a great tool for mindless busybodies to inflict harm on their fellow man. The police love it too because they can now make up the required number of arrests without having to get their hands dirty.

Easy targets have become the way forward for the once respected British Booby. Don’t try to do their job for them, don’t help out your fellow man and don’t even think about defending yourself, they will be down on you like a ton of bricks.

The courts have adopted a similar approach to justice. They will happily dish out fines or even prison sentences for non crimes, yet will let all serious offenders off with a little slap on the wrist, no matter how bad or long their record. The prisons must be virtually empty now as no body seems to get sent down anymore.

You would think that with all this going on there would be the smell of revolution in the air. Not so though. The majority of the population just haven’t noticed because they are to engrossed in the X-Factor or the latest crappy reality telly about some slappers from down south.

Revolution probably wouldn’t do us any good anyway. The yanks are prepared for it. They have just activated a contingency plan for dealing with a serious financial crisis that marks American citizens as the enemy. There could well be martial law before this time next year.

No, revolution is not the answer. They always go tits up anyway. We don’t want the next Stalin or Castro running Britain do we. That wouldn’t be an improvement.

We also need to lower our tax footprint by not buying loads of crap we don’t need and doing things like going abroad to buy tobacco. We need to refuse to fund the ever expanding state.

None of this is anywhere near enough though. It’s like Al Gore in ‘An inconvenient Truth’ where he waxes lyrical about the death and destruction global warming is about to bring, then finishes by telling us we can avert disaster by switching to energy saving light bulbs.

The simple fact is there is just not enough of us. Some people are waking up though. I’ve noticed in the comments section of my daily and MSM sites like the Daily Mail, more and more people are starting to speak out against this tide of illiberalism.

We need to keep spreading the word until more people wake up and join the fight. Libertarians, bloggers and non bloggers alike need to become an army. Only then can we say a loud, collective “NO!” that will be heard.

Things have to change or this time next year, life may be very bleak.

18 comments for “This time next year

1. Thornavis.
    December 23, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I said no to one of these jobsworths on Wednesday or rather my niece did and I joined in. We were doing Christmas shopping in Waitrose – you know the nice ethical supermarket – which included buying some wine, I’d left my wallet in the car so my niece said she’d use her credit card, the girl on the till was under eighteen so had to get a supervisor to OK it, so far so normal, however this berk then demanded ID from my niece as he wasn’t sure she was over eighteen, she’s twenty six, she didn’t have any, impasse. I said I’d vouch for her age, no deal , so I said OK I’ll go and get my card and hold up the queue. When I got back she’d found some ID but it wasn’t good enough, a passport or driving licence was required and just to rub it in he then said he couldn’t let us have it anyway as I might be buying it for her to consume ! By this time both of us were getting thoroughly pissed off, we stuck to our guns and made a big scene, so he went off to get a proper manager who told him to let us through. We wasted nearly twenty minutes and I was on the verge of walking out and denying them a sale, this is what we have been reduced to, arbitrary rule by muppets.

• December 23, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Well done for standing your ground. I’ve read so many stories in the press about people who have left the booze and paid for the rest of the shopping.

I wouldn’t have minded if I was in the queue behind you.

• Thornavis.
        December 23, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Judging from the looks of those around us I think we were just regarded as a bloody nuisance, which didn’t bother me but it’s a depressing sign of how compliant people seem to have become.

• December 23, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Yes. They don’t seem to understand what all the fuss is about

• December 23, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Don’t blame the underling. This stuff is drummed into them and the Trading standards people carry out sting operations. He could lose his job and get a criminal record if he gets it wrong.

Sainsbury’s will ask if someone looks under 25 – so a 26 year old could well be asked. Yes it’s wrong. It sticks in my craw, but blame the people who need to be blamed; the bastards who make the rules and the bastards who make the people on the checkout suffer if they don’t ask.

• December 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Having worked in pubs for many years and still holding a licence to sell alcohol, I’m of the opinion that someone who can’t tell the difference between a seventeen year old and a twenty seven year old has no busienss doing the job anyway.
        It may be others that force them to do it but if everyone held their ground and caused frequent queues at the checkouts while the manager was called, they may rethink their policies. Or at least conduct a bit of staff training.
        No body is going to get a criminal record either. It’s possible the establishment may get a fine but nothing more. That’s just scare tactics.

• Thornavis.
          December 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Bucko that’s exactly what my niece said about age, she’s worked in pubs too.

• Thornavis.
        December 23, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Well I do blame him largely for this, he seemed determined to stick his heels in once we refused to meekly give in, it was the changing of the rules that really got under my skin once I’d decided to get my wallet and pay for the goods, the claim that I could be buying the drink for an underage person was insulting baloney as he had her ID with her DoB and a photo in front of him. I can excuse him to an extent as he was young, younger than my niece in fact, so probably hasn’t had much experience in how to circumvent arbitrary rules.

• December 23, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Not forgetting that once you’ve bought the booze it’s up to you what you do with it.
          If you give it to a random child it’s an offence for which you answer, not the shop.
          If you give it to your underage child at home then that’s perfectly legal.

• December 24, 2011 at 6:05 am

A written complaint to Waitrose – nicely and politely worded – might get you a few vouchers! 😛

• December 24, 2011 at 6:04 am

“…and just to rub it in he then said he couldn’t let us have it anyway as I might be buying it for her to consume ! “

Which is, of course, a perfectly legal activity in your own house. Even if she’d been younger than nineteen!

2. Jiks
    December 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm

My response to any nonsense along these lines is to leave my shopping where it lies and walk away. They waste my time, I waste theirs…

As to various other jobsworths/script robots bothering me I find not responding and staring blankly at them for however long it takes is highly entertaining.

• December 23, 2011 at 8:12 pm

“They waste my time, I waste theirs…” Agreed. And I like the staring trick :mrgreen: Must try it

• Thornavis.
      December 23, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I’d have done that, I’ve done it before in different circumstances but we had all the Christmas shopping and my niece and her brother had given up an afternoon to help me out, it would have inconvenienced us more than the store, tempting as it was and I was damned if I was going to let them win by just meekly surrendering the wine.

3. December 23, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I am unlikely to be asked (unfortunately) which is a bit of a problem as I am in fact well under age…lol.
    I would be tempted to leave all groceries there and then spend the rest of the day going round and round with just booze blocking till after till until thrown out by security…F em I say!, nice post Bucko !
    PS thanks for the linky m8!

• December 24, 2011 at 6:06 am

Me too! 🙁 I only evet got ‘carded’ once when I went to the States, years ago…

• December 24, 2011 at 3:00 pm

LOL! You are a particularly awkward bugger though. I strive towards awkwardness like that. :mrgreen:

4. December 24, 2011 at 5:59 am

“The answer is the power of “No”. And organisation. We need to need to keep saying no to every jobsworth we meet. We need to not be afraid of the police and not bend over when they come knocking with silly accusations. We need to know our rights and use them.”

Spot on!