Is This Sort Of Muddled Thinking Typical Of Police Inspectors?

Crimes against the elderly should be treated in the same way as racist or homophobic hate crimes, a retired police inspector has claimed.

What?!?

“The law regarding elderly vulnerable people needs changing,” said Mr Howard, of Farm Drive, Shirley.”In the case of racist or homophobic crimes, police are required to pursue whether this is the motive behind the crime.

“It is given a higher punishment because it’s classed as a hate crime.

“I would like to see the same apply to vulnerable elderly people.

“For example, this can be a vulnerable elderly person targeted because they are confused and therefore easier to con out of their life savings.

“If you look at some elderly people then they are as vulnerable as a six-month-old baby.”

So we would apply a strict rule of thumb that if you were above a certain age, this proposed law would kick in?

But the 71-year-old said the new legislation could not be introduced on a one-size-fits-all basis.

Oh. Right…

“I’m not saying every crime above a certain ageshould fall under the new act,” he explained.”If somebody asked for my bank PIN number I’d tell them to go away – it should be taken on an individual basis.”

And just how the hell is that supposed to work?!

Mr Howard said he had been trying to get the backing of politicians and church leaders – but so far his pleas have fallen on deaf ears.He said: “If this was about children and it was being opposed as ferociously as this, they would be drummed out of their positions. “

No. They wouldn’t. You cretin!

“About three years ago, while on Croydon Police Consultative Committee, I brought up the subject of why the elderly have no specific legislationprotecting them, as with racial or homophobic crimes.”I was told that there is, within the court system, a ‘memorandum of understanding’.

“I asked, if that was sufficient, why do the other offences require specific legislation?”

Ah, now you’re cooking with gas! They don’t.

So let’s scrap ‘em, not add to ‘em.

10 comments for “Is This Sort Of Muddled Thinking Typical Of Police Inspectors?

1. Jim
    February 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I’ve a new idea – lets get the Police to pursue ALL crimes against ALL people with the same vigour they reserve for ‘hate’ crimes. After all, if someone has just kicked me in the head and nicked my wallet, I’d say that’s a fairly good indication he doesn’t like me that much, one could even go so far to say he hates me, even though I’m only a white male.

Sound fair?

• February 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm

There is legislation for our demographic. In your example the police would rigerously investigate to find out if you kicked him back so they could charge you with an offence

• February 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Crikey – you mean equality under the law? That’s radical.

• February 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I think Jim’s on to something here. Make crimes against the elderly hate crimes this year, women the year after, then children and so on. In a few years you’ll have applied it to white UK born males on better than average salaries, which we can take as read will be the last group, and we’ll be back to everyone being treated the same. As a bonus sentences will be longer because any crime with an identifiable victim will be a hate crime.

• February 12, 2012 at 6:58 am

😆

• nisakiman
      February 12, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Good heavens Jim lad, those are dangerous thoughts! If I were you I’d start looking over my shoulder. You can be sure that the thought police will be checking this site out, and ideas like that…well…

2. john malpas
    February 12, 2012 at 12:21 am

Why not give the vulnerable eldery a form of ‘right of reply’.
    I would like a very large revolver to sort out tail gaters and other people who bother me. That’s how you get respect.

• February 12, 2012 at 6:58 am

They’d just forget where they left it…. 😈

3. February 12, 2012 at 9:57 am

I suspect most are even more muddled, at least he is being consistent with all the other specific bits of special group legislation.
    All the pandering to these special groups of course has the effect of removing protection from the ordinary person as the original legislation against generic crimes is devalued.

4. February 12, 2012 at 12:37 pm

On the other hand, coming up to my birthday, I quite like the idea that if you disagree with me, we send round the PC police and arrest you.