Nice People Write for the Guardian

Well, according to Stewart Lee they do.

But should horrible people be allowed to go to cool stuff and ruin it for nice people?

The risible article that follows pretty much sums up the puerile nature of the modern left. When I was in my twenties, I was a socialist –  I grew up later –  and I hated Margaret Thatcher. Had she gone to a Meatloaf concert during that time (okay, okay, bear with me on this one), unlike the reaction offered by Mr Lee, I would not have then thought about eschewing Mr Loaf’s records, I would have merely thought to myself that at least she had taste. And someone who likes Meatloaf can’t be all bad.

I appreciate that Stewart Lee is supposed to be a comedian so the piece is intended to be funny. However, like those other desperately unfunny paragons of left wing comedy, Charlie Brooker and Marcus Brigstock, he succeeds merely in coming across as childish and vacuous –  although  followers below the line will clap and honk like easily pleased sea lions being thrown a bucket full of rotten fish. It’s so laboured it leaves one struggling for breath and not because one’s sides are cracking. Rather, because one is weary of another schoolboyish article that is little more than: “Tories smell of poo!”

I don’t hold a torch for David Cameron. He is wrong an many things. Indeed, I dislike most politicians because they try to interfere in our lives and tell us what to do. I write about it and eviscerate their ideas. I would love to have the skill to be able to write cutting and funny satire. Unfortunately, much like Stewart Lee, I lack the talent. The difference being; I realise it.

13 comments for “Nice People Write for the Guardian

1. February 12, 2012 at 11:36 am

I thnk you need to fix the link.

• February 12, 2012 at 11:42 am

Fixed. That’s what comes of writing multiple posts one after another using an offline composer.

2. February 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

So many of us began that way, LR … then grew up.

3. February 12, 2012 at 12:52 pm

” And someone who likes Meatloaf can’t be all bad.”

Preach it, brother! :mrgreen:

• February 13, 2012 at 5:32 am

I went off Meatloaf after he provided the pre-match entertainment at the Aussie Rules Grand Final last September. Did I say entertainment? Only because excrucitainment isn’t a word. Lot of column inches on it the next day and a lot of comments along the lines of ‘Like a bat out of tune’. He blamed bad sound facilities that meant he couldn’t hear himself properly, which may be true but didn’t seem to affect Vanessa Amorosi who came out to sing the national anthem (even if she did feel the need to go all Mariah Carey at the end – I guess singing it properly doesn’t show off what a brilliant voice she’s got 🙄 ). The missus and I try to forget that those ten or fifteen minutes ever existed and will just stick to stuff he recorded years ago.

4. February 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

The best comment underneath points out the similarities between Cameron and Lee.

So I looked it up. Lee was privately educated and went to Oxford.

They have more in common than Lee cares to admit.

Also somebody points out that Gillian Welch is managed by Louise Mensch’s husband.

5. February 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Amusingly, several BTL commenters are trying to claim that naysayers don’t get the joke or don’t understand the irony or satire. This is the feeble refuge of the fool. We do get the joke. Given that it was delivered with the subtlety of a club hammer driving home a panel pin, it was difficult to miss. We do understand irony and satire. And, so understanding, we realise that this article isn’t it.

6. john in cheshire
    February 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm

The warped mentality of socialists never ceases to amaze me.

7. February 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Jonah Goldberg of National Review:

The Left often complains about the culture war as if it’s a war they don’t want to fight. They insist they just want to follow “sound science” or “what works” when it comes to public policy, but those crazy knuckle-dragging right-wingers constantly want to talk about gays and abortion and other hot-button issues.

It’s all a farce. Liberals are the aggressors in the culture war … What they object to isn’t so much the government imposing its values on people — heck, they love that. They see nothing wrong with imposing their views about diet, exercise, sex, race, and the environment on Americans. What outrages them is resistance or even non-compliance with their agenda. “Why are you making such a scene?” progressives complain. “Just do what we want, and there will be no fuss.”

8. February 13, 2012 at 5:34 am

Who the hell is Stewart Lee?

Edited to add: that doesn’t really need an answer as knowing won’t make me give a stuff.

9. February 13, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Well, OK, since it’s you, I went there and read it and that’s another few minutes of my life I won’t get back.

I have to say, though, it’s impressive stuff, even for a Guardian column. He’s managed to stuff at least one obligatory absolutely-not-parodic who-you-calling-stoopid Lefty prejudice into every paragraph. He must be in with a shout at the BLAFTAS – the British Left Are Fecking Thick Awards. I’d have a fiver on him if the field weren’t so big.

• February 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm

And the best comment below his pathetically puerile post has to be: “If I ever hear that Cameron likes sex, I’m sewing my flies up”.

• February 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm