Neighbourhood Watch?

So we don’t talk to our neighbours. The solution we are told is not to knock on their doors and irritate them; no, in this connected age we can log on and annoy them from the comfort of our computer.

We don’t know our neighbours’ names. Well, that’s true enough –  I know our immediate neighbour’s (on one side, not the other) first names and that’s about it. The underlying problem for this project is probably that most of us don’t care, either…

10 comments for “Neighbourhood Watch?

1. February 15, 2012 at 4:35 pm

You don’t talk to your neighbours? I do. I know all my immediate neighbours for a hundred metres. I make a point of it. I like to know who I’m living next to, and what their general interests are enough to have an occasional conversation. Pick up a lot of useful information, too.

Talking to neighbours is good. It saves a lot of raised blood pressure.

• February 15, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Other than we live in the same street we have nothing in common. I talked to one set of neighbours recently for the first time in about four years when they helped us cut down a tree. On this occasion we had something in common. It’s gone back to normal now.

2. February 15, 2012 at 5:11 pm

It’s exactly so over here for me as for LR. Don’t know why but we don’t mix. Too busy blogging probably. I know the one on the left by first name but the one through the door on the other side – I think I heard their name once. Sounds terrible, doesn’t it?

• February 16, 2012 at 5:42 am

I know mine to about 4 doors on either side, and a couple round the corner, but that’s about it.

3. nemesis
    February 15, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Think Im with Bill on this one. Ive lived in the same house for about 20yrs. It was only on retiring that I had more time to get to know folk in the vicinity, that and joining an anti-CPZ campaign where you find out all sorts of useful info. Even on first appearances it seems you have little in common – you never know when you might need help in the future and it helps to be at least on speaking terms. It oils the wheels so to speak.

• February 15, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I’m not a particularly social person. I like to keep myself to myself. It would seem that my neighbours are similarly inclined. This suits me just fine. As mentioned in my response to Bill, we cooperated well enough when a tree needed to be felled.

4. Moppy
    February 15, 2012 at 9:39 pm

We moved to our house about 11 years ago, we knew no one. After a year or so we got a dog, suddenly everyone knows us.

We stayed with some friends on a housing estate near Wellingborough, in the morning dog needed to be walked. On our return we were asked if we had seen anyone, we had seen and spoken to more people than they had in 25 years.

5. ivan
    February 15, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Over here in my village I know most of the villagers by sight if not name, just as they know me. When we meet out on the street ‘Bonjour’ is always exchanged and, if there is time, we talk about village happenings, what the mayor wants to do and so on. But then the pace of life is much slower here in the French countryside.

• February 16, 2012 at 9:11 am

Yeah, funnily enough, I got to know my French neighbours in a couple of years living there in a way that I haven’t in over twenty living here. I miss it terribly.

6. February 16, 2012 at 6:15 pm

All my neighbours have names. There’s “mister locks ” (his door has lots of locks), “kenny” and “mister and missus next door”. Oh, that’s not their real names, except possibly “kenny”, that’s just the names i give them.

I saved Kenny’s life once,when he had a gas leak and was asleep inside. He put flowers through my letterbox the next morning.