That’ll be £20 on the Spot, Love

The EUSSR has decreed that sexist language and non verbal behaviour is to be outlawed and the Cameroid is going along with it like a willing lap dog, eager to please his masters in Brussels.

Salacious whistles and sexist comments may fall foul of new laws against sexual harassment to which Britain is signing up, the prime minister will announce on Thursday.

The pledge to criminalise “verbal, non-verbal or physical” sexual harassment is one of the commitments in the Council of Europe’s convention on violence against women, which David Cameron will commit to signing at a special event to mark International Women’s Day.

While it is true that such behaviour can be repugnant, clearly the law of unintended consequences is waiting, poised, ready to strike. How long before someone who calls a coworker “love” or “my dear”, “pet” or “ducks” will find themselves before the beak on harassment charges? Not long, I suspect.

Have we become so infantilised that polite behaviour has to be regulated? Regulated to such a minute degree that the banter that often passes between consenting adults is now outlawed? Oh, sure, I don’t doubt that the morass of new regulations are intended only to be applied to unwanted harassment. They will, however, be used to persecute the innocent who makes a thoughtless remark –  and the police will absolutely have to investigate, because unlike robbery, burglary and assault, this is a real crime requiring immediate attention, and the thin skinned offence takers are queuing up in the wings awaiting their cue, such is the broad all-encompassing nature of the wording being used.

The reality is that unpleasant remarks can be dealt with without a law prohibiting them and the majority of us have no problem with someone using a familiar (sexist) term when addressing us. Otherwise I presume the coworker who referred to me as “love” the other day will be subject to tasering, arrest and a huge fine –  if not life inside, given the heinousness of the offence. I’m offended, I tell you, offended. I feel all dirty and undermined.

“If you have 10,000 regulations you destroy all respect for the law”

Winston Churchill

He’d be turning in his grave. So would George Orwell.

16 comments for “That’ll be £20 on the Spot, Love

1. March 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

“clearly the law of unintended consequences is waiting,”

I’m not so sure. One of the fundamental aspects of authoritarian societies is the use of informers. Laws of this type encourage the finger-pointer who is the natural recruit for a network of self-selected informers.

A network of informers can be built informally yet with a high degree of penetration through laws of this type.

• March 8, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’m not convinced that the Cameroid is quite that devious. A fool certainly, but a potential Stalin or Honecker? Nah…

Now, the burghers of Brussels, that’s whole ‘nother matter…

2. Chuckles
    March 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Could put a right damper on the rap music industry then? Not to mention Santa Claus. Who you callin’ a ho-ho-ho then?

• nisakiman
      March 8, 2012 at 4:27 pm

“Who you callin’ a ho-ho-ho then?”

😀

It’s total bollocks. Building workers aren’t allowed to whistle at pretty (or not) girls any more for fear of dismissal. WTF? I remember when I was a lad (50s / 60s), my mum would sometimes come home and say “I got wolf whistled by the men on such-and-such building site today!” (Preen, preen…) She loved it! It was just a laugh. And she was an intelligent middle class woman, not a trollop.

They really are trying to regulate all joy, all spontaneity out of life. It’s terribly depressing. (See! They’re succeeding already! 😯 )

• March 9, 2012 at 5:51 am

Hen parties are going to be much less fun than they have been too.

I mean….it is going to apply to both sexes. Isn’t it?

3. March 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Are they going to make flirting illegal as well?

• Hugh
      March 8, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Coming up:The Junior Anti-Sex League

• March 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Oh, don’t even go there…

4. witteringwitney
    March 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Am linking to this over at my place L, as part of a comment on the general ramifications of this piece of stupidity!

In process of preparation, so may be a few minutes……..

5. John
    March 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Fortunately it would appear that referring to either Cameron or the EU as “useless c**ts” will still be within the boundaries of the law.

So not a complete loss then.

• Dave_G
      March 8, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Until they decide that the word c**t is demeaning to females genitalia…..

• March 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I hate to bring the bad news, but the CPS are trying to use a restraining order against Olly Cromwell on exactly that basis. Rather than get a take-down order against his website and have the freedom of expression argument, they are going to try to jail him if he ‘allows’ such statements to be made.

That is, they are going to try to use instruments which were intended for use by private individuals to prevent legitimate political decision makers from being called out.

Probably best to take some screen grabs.

• March 9, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Mission creep? What mission creep..? :/

6. David A. Evans
    March 10, 2012 at 1:14 am

You know what?
    I’m not even going to moderate my language any more!
    Why? Because when I hear children of seven using words like fuck, cunt, & twat, what’s the point?
    I can think of several terms that will be unacceptable.
    “Useless cunt” is anti lesbian, ditto “useless twat”.
    “Fuckin’ arsehole! – homophobic
    Need I go on?
    Most worrying..
    The spell checker accepted “homophobic”!

7. March 11, 2012 at 3:48 am

Hmmm, will such restrictions apply to The Religion of Peace? SOMEHOW, I don’t see the followers of the Pedophile Prophet acquiescing to demands that they treat women as equals …………………. 🙄

Semper Fi’
    DM

8. Maaarrghk!
    March 12, 2012 at 5:42 am

I wonder if I will ever reach retirement age. It seems to be getting further away by the year rather than closer.

The reason I mention this is that I intend to retire to the Philippines, where life in many ways is much more straightforward and have already made a start on the retirement home.

This meant engaging local builders,(now I’m getting to the point)one of whom took a shine to a certain maiden who would pass by at the same time every day. Each day his comments got a little more lewd, so the young ladies reaction turned from one of amuesment to offence.

She solved this problem by simply throwing rocks at him until his comments stopped and he apologised. The rest of us let her get on with it. No need for daft laws or swat teams….