Fraud, bias or error?

Vast numbers of people already know or suspect that climate change is the biggest and by far the most expensive scientific scam in history. The whole narrative is riddled with fraud, bias and error.

Even so we are still paying the price. Activists are still active. Reducing carbon dioxide emissions for no good reason is still EU and UK government policy. So it may be worthwhile to remind ourselves of three well-attested incidents where the “settled science” clearly involves either fraud, bias or error. There are many more of course, but we have to keep chipping away.

1. The New Zealand temperature record.

Back in 2010 the New Zealand Climate Science Coalition (NZCSC) brought a case before the New Zealand courts alleging that the official temperature record supplied by New Zealand’s government via its National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA) had been adjusted to suggest a level of warming not reflected in the raw data. The case can be checked out here, but in short it never came to court. The New Zealand government capitulated by denying any official responsibility for the integrity of their own temperature record.

The New Zealand temperature record is of course important due to the small number of long-term temperature records in the southern hemisphere.

Fraud, bias or error?

2. Arctic ice loss.

There is no question that arctic ice cover has reduced in extent since 1979, when satellite observations began. But as with most aspects of climate science, trends depend on where you start your measurements.

In 1974 Arctic sea ice extent was much lower than 1979 as shown by a 1990 IPCC/NOAA graph published at the time. Yet current graphs published by NOAA now show 1974 ice cover to be higher than 1979. The story is here at Steven Goddard’s Real Science blog.

Fraud, bias or error?

3. The Icelandic temperature record.

This is an ongoing issue where the GHCN Icelandic temperature record published by NOAA has been adjusted from that held and distributed by the Icelandic Met Office. Adjusted to show warming of course. The story is here at Paul Homewood’s blog. NOAA has yet to offer an explanation.

The Icelandic temperature along with a number of others are important sources of data for “extrapolating” temperatures into the Arctic.

Fraud, bias or error?

11 comments for “Fraud, bias or error?

1. Able
    March 14, 2012 at 7:35 am

Fraud of course! or was that rhetorical?

As an ‘Aztec’ (in a ‘discussion’ with an eco-freak I raised the issue of the relative effects of a ‘large stellar object radiating a substantial amount of energy in relatively close proximity to our planet with the variations in output correlating surprisingly well with the actual, as opposed to manipulated, temperatures observed’ as opposed to ‘the effect of a few horseless-carriages and cow-farts’ – their response? ‘Oh so you’re an Aztec! Worship the sun and all that’. FFS) I find such revelations not only useful but fun! (I managed to not only make an AGW proponent splutter incoherent babble but to actually make him cry – I’m such a b**tard 😀 ).

Keep up the good work.

• March 14, 2012 at 8:52 am

I think I’d have paid good money to watch that ‘discussion’.

‘Aztec’ is pretty feeble – scrabble around in your brain for sun-worshippers and that’s all you can come up with? As the Bible has it, ‘by their fruits shall ye know them’ (and occasionally grab them too).

A far better term might have been ‘Ahtenist’, like the pharaoh Aken-ahten, who single-handedly altered the state religion to centre on the disc of the sun – the ‘Ahten’ – as manifested through its rays to Earth – a man aheaad of his time, perhaps.

• Able
        March 14, 2012 at 10:29 am

But, but… can you imagine trying to explain to an ineducable idiot that your an Ahtenist? (everyone knows Egyptians worshipped bald guys who raised the dead – coz I watched the ‘Mummy’ films, innit)

Besides, I like being an Aztec, it’s cool! I get to wear feathers on high-days (they make me look more macho, honest) and found a nice obsidian knife for sacrificing AGW campaigners with (it does so cut down on the threats too – ‘you think I should be strung up for murdering the planet, do you? Well shall we discus it further ? Have a seat on this conveniently placed alter-stone with the nice blood channels on it!’)

• Able
          March 14, 2012 at 10:34 am

Oops! you’re not your – I hate auto-complete!

(it wasn’t a mistake, honest. My spelling is impeccable normally, Thanks Mrs Brewster I still flinch when someone shows me a blackboard rubber, and my Grammar? She can still down five pints and smokes cigars and beats me at pool so that’s got to be OK, thanks for asking)

• March 14, 2012 at 10:44 am

Good point! – and chocolate is an integral part of your religion, together with playing basketball with your enemies’ heads, which I think is something we can all relate to…

• Able
            March 14, 2012 at 11:03 am

Excellent! Chocolate, basketball and feathers, what more could a man want?

Henceforth I shall be listing Aztec as my religion on the census forms (previously it was ‘Jedi’ since I look so cool in the robes, no really, I do! It once used to be Trekky but after that incident with the old lady I’m not allowed to wear the federation uniform anymore – who knew the Vulcan death grip actually worked??)

I shall start a political party based on my beliefs too. I shall, of course, be Huey Tlatoani (if you have a problem with that you’ll become part of the ‘national basketball team’ and not get your weekly chocolate benefit [colloquially known as being on ‘the Cadbury’], Oh and don’t annoy me as I still have my obsidian cutting implement.)

Damn! and where are all my adoring scantily clad Amazons too (I know I have to have them, I read Rider Haggard so it’s got to be true)?

2. Paul Homewood
    March 14, 2012 at 11:03 am

And the “Icelandgate” adjustments now extend across 40% of the Arctic, from Greenland to Siberia.

• March 14, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Congratulations – an excellent piece of investigation. Why am I not surprised?

3. nemesis
    March 15, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Its never been about the science. This is a political movement.

• Greg Tingey
      April 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm

WRONG and right
      It is an extreme right-wing political movement for huige profits, and to hell with the planet.
      Ask big oil and the Koch brothers.

4. Greg Tingey
    April 12, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Fraud
    By the big oil companies, and the Koch brothers.

Oh, what a give-away!