The teaching unions are threatening strike action over ideologically driven attacks on the profession. Something they’ve not done in the past when Labour were driving the ideology, naturally enough.

BBC.

A teachers’ union conference has voted for an escalating campaign of industrial action over “ideologically driven attacks” on state education.
The NASUWT teachers’ union, meeting in Birmingham, unanimously backed proposals which could mean strike action in schools in the autumn.
Delegates supported a motion which accused the government of a “vicious assault” on teachers.
A government spokesman said striking would only damage children’s education.
Saturday’s conference heard warnings of “predatory” plans for privatisation.

These are the same people who stand shoulder to shoulder with climate change fanatics, have pressed forward multiculturalism and along with politicians have been responsible for the decline in education standards in the UK to the point that over 20% of school leavers have difficulty with reading, writing and basic math.

I’m wondering if perhaps we should hive off the education services in the UK to the private sector, we’d certainly not be doing any worse and at least the private sector would make sure the kids coming through the system were fit for service when they came out. Certainly they’d introduce streaming where you can’t progress to the next stage unless you understood the previous one. Rather than moving up a year whether you were able or not.

Education in the UK is a shambles, yes there are a few bright spots, but they tend to be the equivalent of an oasis in the desert, few and far between. Years of political interference from the government and left wing dogma from the teaching unions have ruined a better life for our kids, what should be treated as a valuable resource has been squandered on the altar of alternative teaching methods, multiculturalism, lack of disciple and political correctness. Even the exam system was tampered with to make things easier and make it appear that things were constantly getting better, when it was obvious to anyone from my generation that it wasn’t.

Perhaps it is time for change, though I doubt any changes I would be in favour of the unions would like. Perhaps it’s time to make teachers self employed, rather than servants of the state and dominated by unions. Let their pay negotiations be defined by results rather than national bargaining and allow the termination of a contract to be decided in months rather than by industrial arbitration.

Perhaps it’s time to remove the bondage of the state and the teaching unions from education…

Now that’s change I think I could live with.

28 comments for “Perhaps if you hadn’t gone along with ideological driven programs in the past you might have a point.

1. April 7, 2012 at 5:13 pm

“I’m wondering if perhaps we should hive off the education services in the UK to the private sector”

Sounds like an excellent idea. A free market for education, where parents could choose schools that actually teach their children, rather than indoctrinating them.

2. April 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I used to think that this ideological accusing was a deliberate strategy by the “left” to discredit the “right” but I think now that they really actually believe it. They really believe that the “right” is ideologically motivated and they are not.

• DerekP
      April 7, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Usually with the Left, whatever they accuse others of is instead what the Left themselves are guilty of doing.
      πŸ˜‰

• April 8, 2012 at 7:15 am

Spot on!

3. Ian
    April 7, 2012 at 7:14 pm

As a traditionalist I would like to see sixth form gels in uniform again. And I think corporal punishment would do them good too. 😈

• April 8, 2012 at 7:15 am

πŸ˜†

• Mudplugger
      April 8, 2012 at 9:18 pm

And as a spectator sport it could give beach volleyball a run for its money.

4. xopher
    April 7, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Real Teachers never went along with ideological driven programs BUT as everything else in life some up themselves basta*d pushed the right button with the DoE and imposed their will upon the (what used to be a) Profession.
    They do ever so well out of every imposition and many even write books that become a part of the curriculum!!
    I used to teach children but ended up delivering a curriculum – don’t blame me.

5. john in cheshire
    April 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

To paraphrase Shakespeare, Henry VI, the first thing we do is kill all the teachers. And the college lecturers by whom the teachers are indoctrinated.

6. ivan
    April 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Those ‘teachers’ that go on strike should be handed their P45s as they pass through the school gates. Going on strike should also automatically disqualify them from having a gold plated pension.

Having got past that stage the next thing should be to introduce the voucher system, take the local authority out of education and privatise the actual schools themselves. Then the governors and heads can employ those teachers that have a proven record of good teaching.

Oh yes, bring back corporal punishment and streaming as well.

• April 10, 2012 at 11:16 am

Think you might have something there.

• April 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

This is getting like that Rod Liddle spoof: everyone should be sacked or killed.

Having taught in many schools, I’d say that by a parsec the most important factor in the success or failure of a school is its management, especially the headteacher.

7. April 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm

My son’s girlfriend is a physics teacher who teaches at A level. She is a South African with strong principles and is appalled at the behaviour and literacy of the pupils at her school. She’s shown me some of the papers she has marked. I was appalled at the low standards prevailing. Although her head of department supports her (Non union, like she), she has a running war with the headmaster (Who is a staunch unionist). She is considering abandoning teaching and try and get a job outside. She is just the sort of teacher that we need. She insists that the children rise when she enters and calls her miss, and she will not tolerate misbehaviour. Could we have more of these traditionlist teachers?

• April 8, 2012 at 7:16 am

Yes, we should.

• April 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Rather than leave the profession, perhaps she should switch tack and get a job at a public school?

• April 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm

We should have more of the ‘traditionalist’ teachers, but unfortunately they are an endangered species. The ideologically driven ‘Activists’ from both in and outside of the profession tend to drive them out by ‘poisoning the well’ with their dogmas.

For some, home schooling may be an option, but I understand that is frowned upon in the UK. Not so much over here in Canada.

• April 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Is there a market for private tutoring?

• April 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Yes. And for coaching-on-the-side. And for teaching your children at home instead – which can be very successful, not just for those that get bullied at school.

8. April 8, 2012 at 9:07 am

xopher is correct. Don’t let the media sucker you into mass jeering at teachers – it’s just a spin-doctor ploy to suppress dissent as the “profession” (it used to be one, I remember) gets a second kick in the goolies.

It will all backfire, for when the economy recovers there will be the mother and father of recruitment crises, given the pay, working conditions, extended expected working life and reduced pension; not to mention high levels of occupational stress, societal failure to support the work of teachers, increased disorder because of the tidal wave of bad parenting and family breakup, and the permanently heightened professional vulnerability of anyone having dealings with the young. The latest aspiration from the Berlin bunker is that all teachers should have at least a 2:1 degree – do you imagine that the best and brightest will be attracted to this sector in future?

If this is a website for people who can think, can we please start looking more carefully at political context before allowing ourselves to be herded by the MSM?

• April 8, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’m not mass jeering at teachers, I’d be amazed if any ordinary teachers were at the NASUWT conference save those who are involved with the hard line politics of the union. Personally I think good teacher would do well under a self employed privatised system. It would certainly sort out the wheat from the chaff. That coupled with a return to respectful behaviour (discipline) in schools plus the knowledge that disrespect of a teacher would have dire consequences should make the system more robust.
      Incidentally I fail to see why the public sector should be immune to the conditions you describe any more than the private sector is.

• April 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

The 1974 Houghton award raised teachers’ pay significantly in an exercise comparing pay, skills etc with the private sector. It didn’t last – they slipped back to their former lowly relative position within, I think, two years. The unspoken deal since then has been, sweat it out and at least you’ll get a halfway decent pension at 60.

And you’re not going to restore that respect – society has changed. Education is shading off into social work now.

• April 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm

“xopher is correct. Don’t let the media sucker you into mass jeering at teachers…”

It’s rather like the ‘Don’t blame the police for politically-correct nonsense, it’s the top brass that drive it!’ argument.

Perhaps if more of those ‘at the sharp end’ refused to knuckle down and follow orders, we wouldn’t be in this spot now. Food for thought?

• April 9, 2012 at 8:00 am

OK, give us the scenario: teacher says, “I refuse to teach the National Curriculum, I shan’t assess according to these absurd NC criteria, and what’s more I’m going to wear a cross and lead the children in morning hymns and prayers.”

She’d be lucky to get out alive.

9. Geo
    April 8, 2012 at 9:37 am

FE, you may just have given enough clues to get her sacked. Physics, A level, south african, supported by head, critical of the system and showing papers to outsiders? The headmaster will be overjoyed.

• April 8, 2012 at 1:38 pm

The headmaster is unlikely to be reading this blog… πŸ˜‰

10. DSD
    April 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

“Don’t let the media sucker you into mass jeering at teachers”

Yeah, it’s always some ‘other’ mythical mass of lunatic Leftist teachers responsible for the complete destruction of an entire generation’s education. No individual teacher ever seems to feel that they themselves have anything to do with it, and yet they are the people actually in the classrooms doing the teaching, cheering on every new raft of Social Engineering proposals, gleefully braniwashing the kids into the new religion of Warmism, then whining about the lack of classroom discipline caused by the same ‘discipline methods’ they themselves endorse wholeheartedly and fight tooth and nail to retain. Imagine the NASUWT’s reaction were the Coalition to float proposals to bring back corporal punishment and traditional teaching methods if you would…

But hey, they all have ‘a curriculum to deliver’ so it’s not like they have a choice or anything. Only following orders, right?

• April 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

The NASUWT is a right-wing union, like the engineers’. The meeja have featured them recently because the size of their membership has finally overtaken that of the NUT; the NUT members often seemed to see themselves as the cutting edge of the Revolution.
      I am in favour of corporal punishment – for some – though not for the ones who have been routinely physically abused by parents and mummy’s boyfriends (“I am smoking a fag,” slap!).
      I am heartily in favour of traditional teaching, especially textbooks (what are those?), exercise books (kill the photocopier), and what has now been rediscovered and is now renamed, Direct Instruction (i.e. I tell you, you learn, I test you). The NASUWT would cheer you to the rafters if you could bring it back.
      And no, we do not have much of a choice. Not if you don’t want to be judged a failure by the ever-changing standards of OFSTED.
      I’m pretty sure you’ve never been a teacher.

11. David A. Evans
    April 10, 2012 at 12:00 am

Not sure what, (if any,) relevance this has to this post.

Back in the 60’s, I was in secondary school and one of my brothers best mates came as a student teacher in and was teaching me!

He was only 5 years older than me and I’d always known him as Dave. This made things a little awkward for me.

My brother was/is radical left wing, perhaps from college or university, I know he was always derisory to me because I chose to join the RAF.

I don’t know Daves politics but if it was shaped by the same C of E grammar school education they had…