Easter holiday to be withdrawn

Wishing you the most relaxed and fun Easter Day.

I was just thinking, if secularists are so busy removing crosses from chapels, daubing the sides of buses with “there is no god, now relax” renaming Christmas Winterval and other inanities and generally getting apoplectic about Christianity, then surely they have no need of the Easter holidays.

So these would only be available for those professing Christianity and taking a short test on it at the local community centre, with questions like: “Do your give your life to the Lord?” that sort of thing. You’d need to score 10/10. πŸ˜‰

Then it’s far more equitable and equitable is what it’s about these days of PCishness, is it not? Christians themselves would have the four day holiday and everyone else goes to work as usual or as is more usual today, sits at home on the dole. After all, if you are not a believer, then what is the point of these holidays for you?

Simples.

23 comments for “Easter holiday to be withdrawn

1. April 8, 2012 at 7:11 am

“Easter” = Δ’ostre, the Old English, pre-Christian, goddess of spring. It’s a traditional vernal festival celebrating the fact that (in principle at least) it’s not miserable and snowing any more, which was unconvincingly appropriated by the Jesus-botherers. So absolutely no reason to give the Jesus-botherers special treatment.

• April 8, 2012 at 7:18 am

It’s not snowing. It is, however, raining, thus making it an Official British Bank Holiday… πŸ˜€

• April 8, 2012 at 7:23 am

John, this is a point I make in my Easter posts – that the origins are pagan and it puts a Christian veneer on the old festivals but the modern four day break is a Christian device and therefore, all the other guys can work as usual. πŸ™‚

• Radical Rodent
      April 8, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I suspect that the disparaging term of “Jesus-botherer” that you use is more that people of faith are actually John-botherers. A bit selfish, really.

2. April 8, 2012 at 7:17 am

Nooooo! Compared with the continent, we have so few public holidays as it is!

They can have my day off when they can pry it from my cold dead hands! πŸ‘Ώ

3. Mudplugger
    April 8, 2012 at 10:48 am

In a truly secular Britain we would allocate our 8 public holidays quite differently.

The first working day of each alternate month as a Bank Holiday would take care of the first 6.

An extra one on the first working day of August, just in case it’s not raining.

The eighth and final Bank Holiday would then be a ‘floater’ – to be taken on whatever is calculated to be ‘Tax-Freedom Day’ that year, thus making blatantly obvious the perpetually creeping demands of the State on all our personal wealth.

Who needs mangers, wise men, crosses and bunnies ?

4. April 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Ah, Pascal’s Wager dumbed down for the 21st Century. Nice. Happy Chocolate Egg Day! πŸ˜‰

• April 8, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Lovely to hear from you again, TNL. I was wondering how you were these days.

5. April 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

…renaming Christmas Winterval

They didn’t. Urban myth.

6. Edgar
    April 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm
    • Dembones
      April 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Psychiatrists of all faiths and persuasions have a lot to answer for on so many fronts.

7. April 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Hope you both had a nice day today and recharged the batteries.

8. john c
    April 8, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Or why not just let everyone have 40 days of annual leave to be taken whenever you please according to whatever faith or lack of faith you have? Easter, Christmas, Diwali, Eid, Earth Hour, Women’s day, or whenever.

9. Libertarian lost in Scotland
    April 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Sound fair to me … plus they should word on Sundays too, I mean aren’t Atheist bothered of conforming with the sabath ? πŸ™„ :mrgreen:

• April 9, 2012 at 7:54 am

Excellent point – let ’em work seven days.

• April 9, 2012 at 11:11 am

I have done so for much of my working life. So what? Sunday is just another day.

• elaine
      April 10, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Isn’t the Sabbath Saturday not Sunday? (Saturn not the Sun)?

10. john malpas
    April 9, 2012 at 12:30 am

And why have you got to have all these holidays?

• April 9, 2012 at 7:54 am

Isn’t life one long holiday, punctuated by periods of work?

• April 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

Uh, because we need time to relax and recover from the rigours of work?

11. April 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

Hey, I get the Queen’s Birthday and Melbourne Cup Day off, and I’m a republican who doesn’t give a shit about horse racing. What can I do with these festivals and various special days, both religious and secular, that have no meaning for me except to rock with it and kick back like everyone else? I’d be happy to work and make a quid (and as it happens I did for part of Monday morning) but it becomes impractical if enough people insist on it being a holiday.