Utter, utter scum

I’ve become fairly jaded as my years have increased, the bright burning flame of fighting for what was right (then) gradually faded as the years past and the need to provide for family taught me a few valuable lessons on what really is important along with the suspicion that the real enemy is those in power, not necessarily those in government’ the rich or anyone different. Along the way my ability to become shocked has faded as in general humanity has proven time and time again that there literally no depth of depravity that some members of the human race aren’t prepared to plumb either to support a cause or get their kicks or in this instance steal.

BBC.

Thieves have stolen a metal plaque erected in memory of two young boys who were killed in an IRA bomb attack in Warrington, Cheshire.
Tim Parry, who was 12, and Johnathan Ball, aged three, died in 1993 when two bombs detonated in the town centre injuring 54 people.
The A3 size plaque is thought to have a scrap metal value of no more than Ā£30.
Tim Parry’s father Colin said the theft was “soulless, heartless and just very offensive”.
He said: “My reaction is one of incredulity that somebody would be so heartless and without any conscience, and just calmly walk along and take something that has minimal [cash] value but huge emotional value.

It wasn’t as if they’d stole something from a past age, shocking as that might be, the Warrington bomb attack is still a fresh scar to the people of that town and particularly the parents of the children killed. Nor despite the peace process in Northern Ireland is their a sense of forgiveness for the act that killed two children and injured fifty four others. There have been other atrocities in the meantime of course, but none at which a memorial has been stolen with such poignant memories.

Yet this is just part of an ongoing battle against metal thieves and those who provide the cash for their activities. No doubt there will be calls to license all scrap metal merchants and prevent a cash in hand system, that’s the usual response of the state when a public outcry forces them into action. It wont work of course, legislation like that never does.

Perhaps what we need is a punishment to fit the crime, rather than a simple slap on the wrist in most cases and being told not to do it again. Perhaps our prison system is too soft anyway and should be somewhere where people dread being sent too.

I don’t have the answers, draconian legal systems rarely work well anyway, but what we do need is an effective one which includes a deterrent value.

In one sense I’m glad I still had the ability to feel anger of an act like this, the problem is though it should have been easier.

13 comments for “Utter, utter scum

1. Single Acts of Tyranny
    May 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Perhaps we could put the perps up on the wall instead of the plaque, as they say in “The Life of Brian”

– Nail some sense into ’em –

2. May 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’ve said this more than once, but just because the colonies aren’t an option anymore is no reason why exile couldn’t be used for some. Hirta is occupied by some sheep and seabirds and is stuck out in the north Atlantic west of the Outer Hebrides. Close enough to be cheap dropping them off with a catapult and a book of recipes for seagull meat, too far for them to swim back.

3. john in cheshire
    May 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm

QM, I visit Warrington quite often, so this crime is close to home. And you’re correct, it’s at least reassuring to know that something like this can still make one feel anger. The first task, obviously, has to be to find out who stole the plaque. If the police can do that (and in doing, restore some of the respect they’ve lost during 13 years of socialist indoctrination) then at least the names of the culprits will become public knowledge. Regardless of what the courts may do to them, I suspect there are enough people in Warrington who would be only too pleased to get their hands on them/him.

4. May 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm

My first reaction?

Bring back the stocks.

5. graham wood
    May 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Agree both John & Jeremy. Unfortunately it may well be the case that the plaque was ‘sold on’ to a dealer with the item being but included in a bigger ‘job lot’ of scrap metal and impossible to locate or identify.
    As for the stocks. Absolutely. If the identity of the thieves is eventually known then the best modern equivalent of “the stocks” punishment would be to plaster their names over every media outlet, including the internet, (which would quickly know in any event).
    There would be nothing quite so humiliating as knowing that the whole country is aware of you, knows who you are, and despises you accordingly.

6. Tattyfalarr
    May 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I fully appreciate the sentimentality and importance in this case but I think that to anyone who has been stolen from the shock, hurt and upset is every bit as painful.

Until we start effectively punishing all kinds of thievery…and I include financial fraud in that…then the impact of such as this will continue to go right over the heads of the scum that perpetrate it. Why should they care when it appears sometimes that neither do we ? Just a thought.

Oh and I also think we need a new word for subhuman filth. “Scum” is too commonplace these days, the impact is fading and it just isn’t harsh enough in this case. Hence, no doubt, the preceding “utter,utter”. šŸ˜

7. Dave_G
    May 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Given the low return from the scrap value we can only guess that it was junkies that did the crime???? However I would not be at all surprised to find that a scrap dealer has accepted the metal in return for cash and no-questions asked. Should this be the case then the scrap dealer should be pilloried as vigorously as the perp.

8. Fidel Cuntstruck
    May 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I suspect that it’s more likely to be Caravan dwellers than junkies, and they don’t subscribe to the normal rules unless the plaque was for one of their own – in which case it would be sacrosanct. It’ll be weighed in with a load of other scrap, hidden in the bottom of a skip no doubt. I feel for Colin Parry – losing a child is horrible enough, having their memory sullied like this is worse, but I think it probably matters more to him than to most people.

9. Lord T
    May 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm

There are a lot worse crimes than this that we should be concentrating on. We really are emotional wrecks in this country.

• May 19, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Ever heard of the straw that broke the camel’s back?

• Lord T
        May 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Our back was broken a long time ago. It’s now being ground into paste to make their bread and we are still doing fuck all.

10. May 20, 2012 at 6:35 am

Arthur Daley come back – all is forgiven.

11. Greg Tingey
    May 20, 2012 at 9:39 am

I’ve lost the reference, but a very “valuable” in terms of history and “locality” silver item was recently stolen from a local museum in SW(?) England – doubtless melted down, now, and over a thousand years of history lost for some scroat’s petty greed …

I would suggest one of the mud-islands off the Essex coast. myself …..
    Or LUNDY?