You Know, Jamie Oliver’s Right!

Oliver’s move came as public health officials and doctors joined a growing number of education and food organisations in criticising the education secretary. In a move that astonished experts, Gove insisted that he would not apply the nutrition standards that cover all other state schools to academies and free schools – even after a report by the School Food Trust charity found last week that many were selling sub-standard products.

Gove insists that academies, which enjoy greater freedom than other state schools, should be left to determine their own nutritional standards because they are run by responsible head teachers.

Now, it cannot possibly be that the state schools aren’t run by responsible head teachers, can it?

So, the obvious answer to this glaring discrepancy is to immediately allow state schools the same freedom as academies! You know it makes sense!

Thanks for bringing that to everyone’s attention, Jamie…

6 comments for “You Know, Jamie Oliver’s Right!

  1. Mudplugger
    May 20, 2012 at 9:14 am

    But the whole school-meal thing is a statistical nonsense, a diversion from what schools should be about, one encouraged by an earlier administration to disguise its failings in the main objective.

    A child who has school meals still has more than 85% of its annual meals outside school hours – any effect which could be obtained from any minor change in the other 15% is completely marginal.

    Don’t blame that fat-tongued Jamie Oliver for grasping onto a convenient passing PR bandwagon, but Gove is to be congratulated for encouraging schools to ‘stick to their knitting’ – any secondary side-swipes about the relative qualities of school heads are just a bonus, cunningly taken by a smart political operator.

    • May 21, 2012 at 6:51 am

      Indeed! It’s a bandwagon a lot of people will jump on, though, not just celebrity chefs.

  2. Greg Tingey
    May 20, 2012 at 9:34 am

    Tis is just a convenient diversion, isn’t it?

  3. Tattyfalarr
    May 20, 2012 at 1:42 pm

    Errr…Gove cannot apply the same standards as they are NOT State Schools. End of discussion, Jamie.

    NEXT !

  4. May 21, 2012 at 12:12 am

    Lay off the ‘junk’ food. Another example of situational ethics, whereby ‘laws are for the good of the people’. Pfffft …

    Why has Jamie Oliver packed on the pounds over the past few years? Refraining from junk food does not necessarily mean a slim body, if that’s what he thinks.

    It’s interesting that Oliver never goes after junk food manufacturers, only those who consume their products.

    The poor — an easy target for health bullies, sorry, ‘experts’.

    • May 21, 2012 at 6:53 am

      The occasional Big Mac or KFC Twister is never going to hurt anyone. Living off them entirely is another matter, but who does that, apart from documentary filmmakers?

Comments are closed.