Facing down your enemies

Whenever Cameron rules out a referendum on the EU I’m both satisfied and annoyed.

Telegraph.

David Cameron has ruled out an in-or-out referendum on the UK’s membership of the European Union, saying the EU is ‘changing’ to meet critics’ demands.
The Prime Minister insisted he shared the views of eurosceptics in his party but said he was “optimistic” that the UK’s relationship with Brussels was changing to meet the concerns of British people.
He acknowledged the closer links forged by eurozone countries would have consequences for the UK but said no new powers would be passed from Westminster to Brussels.
Nearly 100 Conservative MPs have written to Mr Cameron urging him to make it a legal commitment to hold a poll on the UK’s relationship with the EU during the next parliament.
Speaking at a press conference following the latest EU summit in Brussels, Mr Cameron said: “I completely understand people’s concerns and I share a lot of the concerns people have.”
But he said it was “vitally important” that the Government had put in place measures which meant new powers could not be passed to the EU without a referendum.

I don’t really have a problem with a Prime Minister acting like a Prime Minister, though Cameron himself is far from ideal in the role. I am satisfied however that this is an issue in which he’s completely out of touch with a large chunk of his own party and the electorate as a whole. it’s the sort of thing which is likely to bring him down, although the Tories as with Labour will probably leave it too late to make any real difference. Were the EU and his stance on it to bring Cameron down, than I like many will shed not a tear over it, mourn a few lost opportunities perhaps, but that’s about all.

I am increasingly annoyed about calls for a referendum though as I don’t believe it to be the best route out of the EU in pretty much the same way that I don’t believe any UK government will put enough bite into any legislation  to prevent new powers being passed to the EU, they’ll simply take them anyway and dare the government to do something about it. If it does come to a referendum, well the EU knows how to deal with that too, a few bribes a few twisted arms and result! Or if not the result they want then ask again until they do get the right one.

Cameron’s refusal to allow a referendum means one of two things. The most likely is that he thinks we’ll vote ‘out’ or that he won’t be able to control the result. The second is the highly unlikely scenario that he thinks we’ll vote to stay in and close down the ‘out’ campaign for a generation.

Either way, it’s not in his interest to allow a referendum, even if it costs him his job.

8 comments for “Facing down your enemies

1. Bill
    June 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm

No referendum needed just turn around and walk away without telling the colleagues you’ve gone. As JC says ‘How hard can it be?’

Thing is IDave is working for them not the people of Britain so he must do as he is told… not by us by them!

• Jack Savage
      June 29, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Yep!
      Just cancel the Standing Order. In my experience organisations usually get the picture when I do that.

2. Greg Tingey
    June 29, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Cameron is really scared that people will vote RIGHT OUT.
    A lot of people, including lots like me, have cahnged sides in the past few years, recognising that: a] The EU is not the EEC we voted for
    b] The bureaucrats and corporate-fascists are in charge
    and c] We’ve been lied to, certainlt recently.

SO, if we are going to vote “OUT” then we can’t ave a referendum, can we?
    Simples.

• David A. Evans
      June 29, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Nah, a vote would go for the renegotiate option but it doesn’t matter because that would automatically invoke article 50 which effectively says you have to leave to renegotiate the T&C

DaveE.

• June 30, 2012 at 12:24 am

a] The EU is not the EEC we voted for
      b] The bureaucrats and corporate-fascists are in charge
      and c] We’ve been lied to, certainlt recently.

Oh my goodness, I find myself agreeing with Greg!

3. Mudplugger
    June 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm

It is a truism in Western ‘democracies’ that you only ever launch a referendum when you can be sure of the outcome being the one you want. Wilson managed this superbly in 1975 (with covert CIA support, of course).

The EU (not fitting the model of a Western democracy) takes a different approach – just keep on repeating the question until they deliver the outcome you want. Lip-service democracy. Different tactics, same result.

Right now, an OUT vote would be almost guaranteed in Britain, which would not fit the forward plan of any of our major parties, so none would grant it. Will they be able to shift the ground enough by 2015/16 to change the likely result ? Probably not, which is why we’ll probably never get one, which is also why I’ll keep voting UKIP in every electoral opportunity until we do.

4. TomO
    June 29, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Shamelessly nicking the quote from Delingpole in his DT blog:

Remember, this is the man who once famously said: “I’ve just been speaking to Al Gore and he really knows his stuff.”

slam, dunk bye-bye Dave

5. Furor Teutonicus
    June 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm

XX If it does come to a referendum, well the EU knows how to deal with that too, XX

Aye. They will up their payments to the Media, to make sure they carry “the right sort” of propoganda.