The Grauniad on UKIP

Martin Kettle waxes on about the rise of UKIP. There’s nothing sensational about what he says. UKIP’s success is primarily down to the failure of the Tories to look after their core vote. EU Scepticism is not so outrageous as the media would have us believe, so the drift from a party that has moved to the left and exhibits subservience to the EU project is hardly surprising. Farage’s party offers an alternative –  an attractive alternative to many erstwhile conservative voters. And below the line we get the usual dross we can expect from the Guardianista; talk of “swivel eyed loonies” for example. Yet it seems to me that opposition to an undemocratic, unelected, unaccountable body of oligarchs lining their own nests at the expense of a continent of impotent voters is reasonable rather than loony. But who am I to gainsay these massive intellects of the left? Merely a bigot, it would seem.

What I find amusing about the oft repeated charge of bigot when anyone dares to say that we would be better off out than in is that it is a regurgitated pejorative without any obvious thought behind it. It is an involuntary reaction to a position that the Guardianista are automatically opposed to, therefore the utterer must be a bigot. When I see this one unthinkingly trotted out, I stop taking any interest and refer to Ambrose Bierce:

“bigot: one who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that you do not entertain”

And that, frankly, sums up the facile thinking found on the CiF site…

I rather hope UKIP do well in the next set of elections. A cattle prod up the collective arses of the big three is long overdue.

12 comments for “The Grauniad on UKIP

1. September 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Yet it seems to me that opposition to an undemocratic, unelected, unaccountable body of oligarchs lining their own nests at the expense of a continent of impotent voters is reasonable rather than loony.

Absolutely, LR.

2. September 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Longrider, I cannot agree more when you said you hope that UKIP give the big three a kick. There is a need for politial change and not just change that reflects the genuine suspicion of British citizens about the EU project, but a change that undoes as much of the damage done to this country by Labour, as possible.

3. Robert Edwards
    September 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I think UKIP will do very well indeed at the next election; Farage is a sparky, entertaining and thoroughly engaging chap. I don’t suppose the recent defection of ‘Piranha teeth’ will do them any harm from the point of view of conservatives, either.

The fact that there is no obvious demarche from Cameron to re-engage with the right is baffling. The electoral destruction of the Lib-Dems (a consummation devoutly to be wished)is all very well, but the vacuum is on the left.

The right will not get its house in order unless and until it engages with the thorny problem of being shackled to a corpse.

4. Voice of Reason
    September 20, 2012 at 3:20 pm

We appear to be stuck between two groups of power-hungry people. One assumes that most of us are sinful/evil, and need punishment. The other assumes that most of us are stupid, and need to be told what to do. Leave me out, please.

5. Pat Nurse
    September 20, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I hope you don’t mind me posting this link but one thing that really annoys me about the MSN is it’s view that people only vote Ukip either because they want to protest at Tory policies or because they want to leave the EU. It is about so much more than that and failure to see it means that UKIP will do well in elections in future because the LibLabCon doesn’t even know where to begin fighting them http://lincolngainsboro.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/ukip-recognised-as-new-political-force.html

6. Paul
    September 20, 2012 at 4:22 pm

As far as I am concerned, UKIP is really the only option available to us in the UK. I wouldn’t ever consider voting for the main three ever again. There are parties similar to UKIP’s all across Northern and Western Europe now, so anti-EU sentiment is not by any means a UK-only thing. I think it’s very much worth checking out the rise of Euroscepticism in Germany – if more and more Germans actually start voting for nascent independentist parties, the EU is knackered.

• September 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

If I vote and it’s a big “if” then it will not be for the main three. They lost my vote forever.

7. Bunny
    September 20, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Some of the comments the left comes out with reminds me of the ‘Profession of Faith’ in a mass, it is an automatic response chanted by people who aren’t thinking. Admittedly as a child at mass I was thinking during, (the profession of faith), it was I am halfway through this bloody thing and the homily is over. Thanks be to God.

8. Dave_G
    September 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Post-it notes at the ready – “Say NO to the big 3”. I plan to stick them where the sun DOES shine.

9. Greg Tingey
    September 21, 2012 at 7:53 am

One-quarter true.
    I’m worried by UKIP’s “christian” stance – because it’s codswallop.
    But, even a left-libertarian (by your standards) like me wants OUT of the EU (& IN Shengen, but let’s not complicate matters right now)

But no, Kettle is wrong, an awful lot of us are really bothered by Brussels/Berlaymont/corrupt EU finance.
    And the long-term financial costs.

• September 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

I draw your attention to my favourite wiki

Supranational European Bodies

In this diagram it is easy to see that although it is always suggested that we face a blunt choice between in or out, the political reality is that there are a choice of over-lapping memberships and it might be possible to leave the European Union and take membership of a grouping which we prefer.

Switzerland, for example, has membership of The Council of Europe, and the Schengen Area and EFTA. They seem to be doing pretty well on it. We could move to that grouping.

• Greg Tingey