It’s Our Fault

According to Andrew Rawnsley, that is.

Elections: if you can’t be bothered to vote, the person most to blame is you
Politicians and the media share some of the responsibility for low turnouts, but the public is guilty too

Wrong, entirely wrong. I didn’t vote in the PCC elections, not because I was apathetic, but because I chose not to. Just as I now choose not to engage with politicians of any stripe by enabling their behaviour. My vote is an endorsement of their behaviour.

Once, I thought as Rawnsley does, but my mind has been changed by observing the behaviour of politicians. It doesn’t matter what colour rosette they wear, they are the same under the skin –  self-serving charlatans. And it doesn’t matter which bunch of thieves actually wins the electoral contest, the uncivil service will knock them into shape once they get their feet under the table, dripping poison in their ears, spilling the same vile authoritarianism.

So, no we are not to blame. They are in their entirely and a pox on all their houses. Not one of them deserves my vote and not one of them will get it.

18 comments for “It’s Our Fault

1. Bemused
    November 18, 2012 at 10:28 am

2. david
    November 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

But they still have your ‘consent’ to carry on their self-serving ways. Removing your vote does nothing other than give Oxygen to idiots like Rawnsley above.
    You need to remove your name from the electoral role to convince them that you don’t approve of their behaviour.
    Other wise they will just laugh at all of us who think we are in some way protesting by not voting.

• November 18, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’m not convinced that will make a ha’p’orth of difference, frankly. They will still carry on, just without my involvement.

• david
        November 18, 2012 at 12:41 pm

…”They will still carry on, just without my involvement”.

Well they couldn’t if no-one could vote them in to ‘carry on’.
        Just not voting allows them to continue through your implied consent. Remove that consent expressly and they ‘know’ that your consent has been removed.

3. john in cheshire
    November 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

+2. And you are quite correct to point out that the Civil Servants are a major problem regarding how we are governed; a lot of the rot lies there with them and has done for decades.

• November 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

Humphrey Appleby was not just a figure of fun, he was an exposure of what they are all about – unelected, unaccountable power.

4. Derek
    November 18, 2012 at 11:06 am

It is not entirely true to say that Rawnsley is wrong. If you do not vote because you can not be bothered to, then you should not complain if the “wrong one” gets elected. Similarly, if you always vote for the same party, no matter how crooked the candidate is, you can not complain if you have a crook as your representative. If you do not vote because you absalutely disgusted by the lot of the candidates, you can not be blamed if a crook wins. However, most elections have independent, non party candidates, and not all of them are dishonest. I always believe that you should vote, and vote for the candidate you think least evil. You should never vote just for the party. Parties were invented for lazy politicians, so those of them who can actually think, do not have to strain what brains they do have in understanding what is being debated.

• Bemused
      November 18, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Why vote for the candidate that represents the least evil?

If I don’t believe that any of the candidates represents my beliefs and values then none gets my vote. I used to spoil my paper, believing it would make a difference if millions did the same but the truth is they don’t freaking care. They will claim a mandate under any circumstance to legitimise their continued incompetence and tyranny.

Next you will advocating mandatory voting

• malade
      November 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I purposely did not vote this time. I was going to spoil my ballot paper, but if one is going to do that then I think one has to write a coherent message on it, and being as though they can trace who you are by the number on your ballot paper I thought it best not to do so because I am absolutely convinced that it is not long until the net fully closes in and the 3am knocks on the door begin.

Some of us need to be left to go fully underground when that happens and fight the bastards from there.

5. ivan
    November 18, 2012 at 11:29 am

Maybe every voting paper should have a ‘Non of the above’ space as the last item on the paper. The only problem with that is the ‘we know best’ politicians won’t get the message because they are too thick anyway.

• November 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

Indeed.

• Derek
        November 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I disagree. No politician takes any notice of a non vote. They will take notice if they are in danger of being voted out of office. If all those who did not vote, voted for an independent candidate instead, that would cause a real upset to the cosy circle of crooks.

6. malade
    November 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Just what IS it going to take to get the message through to these fcukwits? Armed insurrection?

• Derek
      November 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm

The only thing that they will understand is being voted out of office. If you do not bother to vote, or if you vote for the same old crooks every time they will be quite happy. Look at what is on offer from the lesser parties or independents, or stand yourself on a ticket of honesty and integrety. Would the majority vote for that?

7. Bunny
    November 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I would advocate getting involved in local politics, at area association level. Use this to attempt to block parachuted candidates from Westminister and to try to get politicians back to their local roots.

I agree with the comments re the civil service, they are a law unto themselves with the bureacracy expanding to fill the available budget and more.

8. James Strong
    November 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm

A discussion point:
    Don’t make voting mandatory for citizens but make it mandatory for the state that all ballot papers in all elections to have a ‘none of the above’ box.

The candidate or option that gets the most clear preferences wins.

That way offers a positive, rather than a negative, way of voters witholding their approval.

Chances of this idea getting passed by politicians: not good.

9. Tatty
    November 19, 2012 at 10:24 am

I did not vote in this mickey-mouse charade for the simple fact that I have already previously voted twice over…in two seperate opportunities we are all given… for:

1) Law to be upheld

2) For me and mine to be protected from the actions of criminals…which involves…

3) Criminals to be apprehended…which does not neccessarily equate to “prevented” and especially not when that means me doing 99% of the work myself to achieve …and for them then to be tried in a court, incarcerated for a long time and preferably punished, too.

The aforementioned opportunities being at General Election and again at Local Elections.

I flat out refused to waste my time and energy telling them what I want…what I am paying in taxes for…and it is their frickin Duty to provide…for a THIRD time.

They may make of that they will. Frankly, I’m past caring. 😐

10. Furor Teutonicus
    November 19, 2012 at 7:56 pm

That would all work, IF, as I have suggested before, there was a “Minimum turnout” rule.

Less thatn….xyz, of the potential voters turn out, then the election is void.