Meddling

Apparently the people who decide that the English should not get the latest cancer drugs think we have far too much money in our pockets and that local councils should relieve us of it in an attempt to make us all fitter. NICE (an extremely unfitting acronym if ever there was one) believe that we don’t get enough exercise and that local councils (and others no doubt) should hike their parking charges to make us all walk, cycle or pay exorbitant public transport fees to go onto town to work or shop.

Mail.

Drivers should be charged more for parking to make them walk instead, health chiefs said yesterday.
New guidelines say going by foot or bicycle should become the norm for short journeys to work, school and the shops.
Families should even consider selling their car to end the ‘bad habit’ of using it for trips of less than a mile.
The advice from NICE, which sets national standards for healthcare, aims to get Britain fit and reduce disease in later life.
Doctors and nurses are told to set a good example ‘through their own behaviour’ and town halls are urged to ‘restrain’ car use with parking restrictions and higher fees.

I do wonder at times if these people are really petty vindictive (well paid) spiteful little oiks with no real clue as to how the economy really works or whether they are simply well meaning oiks with no clue as to how the economy works. Town centres are already suffering from internet based shopping and out of town shopping whose businesses own their own car parks and will not be putting any fees on them as they want the custom and won’t care a fig if the customer turns up on a bike or a fume belching 4 x 4.

It really ought to be no business whatsoever for health service professionals to be interfering in the lives of the people of this country. Offer advice yes, but also be prepared to accept that some people if not the majority might just choose to ignore the advice given. Nor under any circumstances should they be encouraging the local councils to raise parking prices (Or due to laffer curve economics more likely lose revenue) and threaten the local economy because no one will bother to go into town any more. Shops will continue to close, councillors will wring their hands and blame anyone but themselves as town centres become ghost towns (already happening in some places) Nor should it be any business of the petty officials of NICE if we own cars or not, nor should they even suggest that we sell them to make us more healthier, some people need their cars and getting a full load of shopping home by carrying it might just cause further health problems for those who try it.

This as ever is a poorly thought out attempt to run our lives for us in straightened economic times. I’m sure there will be other unforeseen circumstances along with those I mentioned. But no doubt some councils will try it, after all, it’s not their money.

16 comments for “Meddling

1. November 28, 2012 at 7:32 am

How I’d like to force those NICE people to walk in future, by kicking them out of their fatcat’s jobs so they can’t afford to drive. 😈

• November 28, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Is this policy not straight out of Mao’s Red Book!

2. Greg Tingey
    November 28, 2012 at 8:20 am

What these idiots fail to realise – and they are idiots – is that people do not fit into the neat categories they insist on procrusteanly forcing us to match.
    I have a car, it’s a 4×4(!) – a REAL Land-Rover, actually … but I only do about 3000 miles a year in it!
    I have a bicycle, & I use it for trips of under 5 miles, when not carrying a lot.
    I use trains a LOT – I live in London …..
    I also walk quite a lot.

Now what?

3. November 28, 2012 at 9:00 am

The riding a bicycle thing almost sounds good… if you don’t actually think about it.

Inconvenient truth #1 It is quite dangerous and scary to ride a bicycle on most any public road in the UK. More cyclists = more cyclists in accidents = more deaths of otherwise fit people.

Inconvenient truth #2 The fact that people who don’t live in towns have to drive to get to them because the level of public transport out of town would just not be acceptable or usable to people who live in town.

I think you are absolutely right that all it would really do would be to hurt high streets competitiveness against malls and internet shopping. I already saw an example of where a local council imposed parking charges and it really hurt the local retailers. It was like this cascade effect.

Inconvenient truth #3 Seniors mostly can’t cycle, nor can young mothers with little kids and they have to get their shopping home. Also seniors are mostly on fixed incomes and can’t easily afford price hikes.

• November 28, 2012 at 10:44 am

“It is quite dangerous and scary to ride a bicycle on most any public road in the UK.”

That’s why I gave up on it years ago. It’s walk or car now.

• November 28, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Seniors mostly can’t cycle

I beg your pardon – how do you think I just got home at breakneck speed down that big hill? 😉

• November 28, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Definitions again James… I don’t figure you really qualify as a senior yet.

• November 28, 2012 at 2:42 pm

That’s what a lady uptown said an hour ago, as we were discussing Louboutin and Prada shoes and the 2013 spring collections.

4. microdave
    November 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

“The advice from NICE, which sets national standards for healthcare, aims to get Britain fit and reduce disease in later life”

A good proportion of the grossly overweight people I see are getting about on mobility scooters. They aren’t covered by parking charges, so how are NICE going to encourage them to walk instead?

I realise I am throwing myself open to torrents of abuse by suggesting many of them wouldn’t need scooters if they stopped stuffing their faces with crap, and gave their joints a chance…

“Doctors and nurses are told to set a good example ‘through their own behaviour’”

One of the nurses at our surgery was almost as large in circumference as she was in height!

5. Bemused
    November 28, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Knees knackered after years of road running – excercise is good for you
    Back knackered after years of golf – excercise is good for you
    Neck knackered by arthritis after years of rugby- excercise is good for you
    Nearest town centre 3 miles away-
    Ever tried carrying a weeks shopping 3 miles, even using public transport?
    Work 65 to 70 hours a week, no time for walks
    Work 6 days a week- no time to waste, friends, family to see / look after

How can I put this NICEly …………FUCK OFF AND LEAVE ME ALONE YOU SHITS. (and all HMG fuckwits) Yes Cameron I’m talking to you.

Apologies for swearing.

• David A. Evans
      November 28, 2012 at 8:40 pm

YAAAAAAY! 😈

6. November 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Let’s see, how can I put this politely?

Oh, fuck it, I can’t. My life, how I live it and my choice of transport is none of the fucking government’s or its quangos’ god-damned business. I will continue to travel by the means I deem most suitable for my needs – mostly motorcycle and sometimes car.

They can go fuck themselves with the rough end of a pineapple and see how that is good for their health and leave mine well alone.

• johnnyrvf