Longrider’s Law

As a discussion on the latest liberties grab by the state grows longer, the probability of an authoritarian playing the “nothing to hide, nothing to fear” card, or invoking the spectre of paedophiles, terrorists or criminals as a justification for their stance, approaches 1.

At which point they lose both their credibility and the argument.

*With apologies to Godwin, but I couldn’t resist.

9 comments for “Longrider’s Law

1. Greg Tingey
    December 5, 2012 at 11:19 am

Those who trade Liberty foir safety deserve neither”

( or something similar )
    What’s more, they don’t even get the safety, do they?

• December 5, 2012 at 11:29 am

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, 1775

• Greg Tingey
        December 6, 2012 at 8:54 am

That’s it!

2. opsimath
    December 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

It always makes me smile when someone says something along the lines of ‘Let them check on me – I’m not doing anything wrong’, forgetting, of course, that it is THEM, not US, who decide what we are doing wrong; there will ALWAYS be something they can ‘get you on’, even if they have to fabricate it.

Heavens, no! That could never happen here …

3. December 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm

“nothing to hide, nothing to fear”

Of course it’s a weasel phrase to begin with – an absurd implication that “private” is the same as “hidden”.

• December 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Strictly for the hard of thinking as only the stupid would contemplate using it.

4. December 5, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I have many many things to hide and I fear that THEY are getting closer.
    Google read my eMails, YouTube knows that I liked a holohoax video.

I suspect Longrider’s Law will not save me from the camps.

• Tatty
      December 5, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Nor me. Someone save me a seat at the back of the bus to Dissident Camp.

I’ll bring the butties and pork pies and we can smoke 🙂

Oh, a thought occurs…

Unless places in the camps are apportioned according to “Human Rights & Equality” then all the anti’s forced to share a camp with the pro’s…with a few don’t- give- a- shits thrown in…would actually be living freerer than ever before.

Ironic or wot. 😐

5. December 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

This is just another case of the politics of fear.

The powers that are sought are already available to the police, and widely abused, with RIPA and the Data Retention (EC Directive) Regulations SI 2007/2199, so why the need for another high profile Bill through parliament to reinforce this fear of the State.

You can see a breakdown of their existing powers here.