For Gods sake!

Someone out there is trying to kill me, they are out there peddling the most ridiculous tales for the MSM in an effort to try and make me explode from apoplexy. I mean how else am I suppose to treat this…

Telegraph.

Teachers at a secondary school in London have been told they must not use red ink when marking homework in case it upsets pupils.
The move was condemned as “political correctness gone wild” and ministers were forced to deny the Government issues guidelines on the colour of teachers’ pens.
Tory MP Bob Blackman took his concerns to parliament after a teacher in his Harrow East constituency informed him the secondary school had banned staff from using red ink.
He told MailOnline: “A teacher contacted me and said I cannot believe I have been instructed by my head to mark children’s homework in particular colours and not to use certain colours.
“It is all about not wanting to discourage youngsters if their work is marked wrong.
“It sounds to me like some petty edict which is nonsense. It is absolutely political correctness gone wild.

No, it’s not the bloody government for once, it’s some bloody namby pamby (probably socialist leaning) head teacher who appears to believe that kids won’t get upset if they see a wrong mark in some other colour. Hell, I suppose if they do all marking in black, the kids won’t know if they’ve done something wrong and the dumbing down of the poor sods by years of ‘right thinking’ (but actually left leaning) meddlers from the socialist lunatics infesting the education system can carry on apace.

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, the only way we’re ever going to remove the evil left from the education system is to make all teaching staff self employed andon fixed term contracts. That way the good teachers will be retained and those who can’t teach to save their lives can be allowed to bugger off elsewhere if they fail the school and education standards. I suspect most of the union activists will be amongst the first to go…

I enjoy blogging, I enjoy writing, but having to trawl through stuff like this really makes it harder to keep this going some days.

10 comments for “For Gods sake!

1. John
    April 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm

No! No! No!

You can’t mark homework in black!

That’s raay-ceest!

2. April 22, 2013 at 9:16 pm

There is nothing new about this. Some local authorities have had similar colour marking rules for years!

• April 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Very true – I first encountered it in the mid-1990s, when we were ordered to mark in green because it was ‘less confrontational and threatening than red’.

One side-effect of this policy is an abundance at home of green pens. These days, a letter or note written in green pen does not necessarily indicate the writer is deranged; he or she may simply be a teacher reaching for the first writing implement to hand.

• April 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Yes Macheath, our house is littered with purple pens from my wife’s teaching years.

3. Voice of Reason
    April 23, 2013 at 1:41 am

A few small problems:

1. Marking in red does hurt some students, but turns out to be an effective way of negative reinforcement.
    2. Trying to put teachers on term contracts has been tried multiple times, and turns out to force out many of nthe most effective teachers.

4. April 23, 2013 at 7:19 am

Having seen the comment left on the thread about in-class evaluation of teachers, it seems OFSTED needs their Augean stables swept out too!

5. mona
    April 23, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I will tell you now this is a directive from the common purpose manual for keeping children included and dumbed down, cant have children thinking why they have red ink, mummy might notice.

6. April 23, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I used green for errors and normal black for normal comments. It depends how the red is applied. If it is huge crosses or lines through the words so that when it comes back, the teacher has had no respect for what has been submitted, then that is bad and some teachers get off on the power to show the kid who’s boss.

If it’s done in a discreet manner with small markings, then it doesn’t matter what colour it’s in.

• ivan
      April 24, 2013 at 12:10 pm

James, how do you have respect for the utter garbage a lot of kids submit?

• April 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm

One doesn’t. One detracts from politely. There is a range of euphemisms.