Bang bang, you’re dead

Via This is True:

Two second-graders from Driver Elementary School in Suffolk, Va., were suspended. The 7-year- old boys’ crime: using pencils as “guns.” They pointed the writing instruments at each other and made “shooting noises,” which violated the school’s zero tolerance policy prohibiting “look-alike guns.”

That’s “intimidating and threatening,” said school spokeswoman Bethanne Bradshaw. “It doesn’t have a place in the classroom.” She added that doing the same thing with fingers is also forbidden, as is drawing a picture of a gun. “It’s an effort to try to get kids not to bring any form of violence, even if it’s violent play, into the classroom,” Bradshaw said. “There has to be a consequence because it’s a rule.”

(RC/Hampton Roads Virginian-Pilot) …As a rule, I’m beginning to dislike government school spokesdroids.

I grew up playing cops and robbers, cowboys and indians. As far as I was concerned, the issue was not the label cowboy or the label indian, however dubious those shows were. As a kid, the issue was the action and yes, we made “shooting noises”, which seems to be preferable to shooting bullets.

Last time I checked, I don’t appear to have grown up as a psychopathic killer, I don’t hate indians and don’t particularly love cowboys. I don’t even feel any great need to have a gun although the right to be able to get one if necessary to protect myself and my family is an important one.

13 comments for “Bang bang, you’re dead

1. Derek
    May 19, 2013 at 10:35 am

It was this sort of attitude that led Hitler to believe that we would not fight if he rampaged across Europe. These people do not live in the real world, and they refuse to learn the lessons of history.

2. john in cheshire
    May 19, 2013 at 12:13 pm

The question is, though, why are the Bethanne Bradshaws of this world allowed to get away with what they are doing?

• May 20, 2013 at 5:44 am

Good point! There should be grave consequences for this. But they hide behind ‘I was only doing my bit to protect children!’ and get away with it..

• Andrew Duffin
      May 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Because the entire education world is in the hands of people like her anyway. They all think the same.

3. ivan
    May 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm

The zero tolerance policy prohibiting guns or anything that could be thought to be a gun, in the mind of a twisted school administrator, is not going to stop someone drugged out of their mind with the help of the government from shooting the place up – in fact it just makes it easier.

4. May 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I think they get away with it because the society’s key positions have been placed in the hands of PCists with the brief: “Go ahead and do your worst – it’s easier if it’s children or the pre-infantilized.”

5. Mark
    May 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm

The problem with this sort of thing is that kids start to believe it’s worse to say “bang bang you’re dead” than to hit some other kid with a brick.

• May 20, 2013 at 5:46 am

Well, the punishment certainly seems to be far more certain!

6. Verily
    May 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Playing Cowboys and Indians or any other ‘gun game’ was in fact positive in a mystical way: it was a belief in reincarnation.

Once you were shot you jumped up three seconds later to be alive again.

7. mona
    May 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Common Purpose Dummy Bradshaw is committing passive assault on the childrens sensibilities, she should be prosecuted and sacked. the parents must go to the police and make a complaint ,that will go on her record, the bitch

8. amfortas
    May 20, 2013 at 2:54 am

Well versed in all the feminised streams of thought which pour down from the PC volcano, this ejukator is simply applying intuitive female logic in place of the sweaty male sort which has oppressed children (especially girl children) since before Adam. She should be freed from criticism and scorn, laughter and ribaldry, and be given a taxpayer-provided padded cell.

9. May 20, 2013 at 3:45 am

A pretty realistic lookalike gun is made with your hand – are they going to amputate fingers and thumbs?

10. May 20, 2013 at 11:07 am

I played ‘gun games’ as a child, we had cap guns and even shot each other with ‘spud guns’… I believe I have grown up to be quite normal…

However, I know somebody that banned their child from having any sort of gun toy. It was quite a struggle – as has been mentioned above, fingers can be guns and he even ate his breakfast toast into the shape of a gun.

Now in his 20s he is obsessed with guns and war and has a bedroom full of deactivated weapons.

Banning things always makes them more desirable…