Independent education is a critical choice for society

Via haiku, Slate [yes I know but persevere].

If You Send Your Kid to Private School, You Are a Bad Person

That was genuinely the heading.

Sigh.

For a start, using the term “private” and not “independent” is a dead giveaway as to where you stand on it. We in the independent system used the term “independent”, free choice, aspiration for our kids.

It’s not unlike when someone starts talking politics with the word Capitalist and with Fascist not far behind, along with Equality, Diversity and Positive Discrimination. We, on the other hand, start throwing in words such as responsibility, discretion, common sense, sanity, heritage, indigenous.

The writer would take away the right of the parent to determine which education his and her child will get. Independent, by definition, means there will be good ones, bad ones and it’s the parent’s job to work out which are which and to match that against their budget.

As in real life choices of all kinds.

Sure, education shouldn’t cost in an ideal world but we’re back to the old argument again – ideal v real. Anything state will, by definition, go pear-shaped as it is funded by govt [therefore by us]. If my child is in an independent school, then yes I still pay for the public sector schools through my taxes and don’t moan about it.

It’s fair enough but it’s also that I’ve exercised choice in opting to pay for a better product.

8 comments for “Independent education is a critical choice for society

1. September 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm

As Lister would say What a smeghead.

I’m meant to ruin my kids lives for the benefit of a bunch of low life oxygen thieves? Huh!

Bring back corporal punishment in schools and the criminal justice system for 10 years (and stop benefits) then my view might change – but I doubt it. It’ll take generations to beat some sense back into the vast pool of dregs in this country.

2. September 5, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Choice – it’s what it’s all about.

3. john in cheshire
    September 5, 2013 at 8:19 pm

James, I’ve come to the conclusion that where socialists/communists are concerned, their spiteful name-calling has to be taken as a badge of honour. If I had the money, I’d send my family to private school; I’d purchase private health insurance; I’d do everything that money can allow and not give one moment’s thought about it. But I can’t so I suffer along with the rest of us at the hands of the commie spoilsports who infest all walks of life that matter. Do I resent those who have the money to do these things – no, not at all.

• Dave_G
      September 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Resentment is all ‘they’ have – and they’re very keen for us all to share in it. Right-thinking people share your attitude John and I suspect there are a lot more people like you out there than ‘they’ would like to imagine.

4. September 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm

This approach serves simply to direct attention from the fact that the state education system just goes from bad to worse. That teachers Unions oppose anything that gives parents more choice as to how they educate their kids say is it all; teaching exists for the teachers, not the kids, just as now the NHS and the BBC are about protecting the bureaucratariat rather than doing the work they are tasked to do.

5. Single Acts of Tyranny
    September 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm

The original article is unclear on how long this would take to improve or how such improvement would be measured. It may take a long time and maybe your kids would be sacrificed for some vague notion of the greater good (sic), but that’s the idea. This is the road to the Gulags.

I went to a shitty comp which utterly failed me. This is why my four year old has just started an independent school (class size – eleven pupils with teacher and assistant), and it’s also why I drive a Nissan not a Porsche and don’t have SKY or smoke, or drink.

6. September 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I think that’s the thing these days – no choice, have to find solutions.

7. James Strong
    September 7, 2013 at 7:36 am

The state sector in education, the BBC, and the NHS all display the same flaw and fail for the same reason.
    Too many of their employees forget that these services are not free, they forget that we have paid for their services.They don’t have to satisfy us in the way that private enterprises have to satisfy customers, and over time, organisations like this do become run for the benefit of their staff and not for the benefit of the people who use them.
    This is a failing that cannot be corrected as things stand.
    The only cure is to privatise all of them.