Freedom of choice

Every year at this time I choose to wear a poppy to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country, willingly or not. This is my choice, I do it to honour the fallen and those who live with the consequences of serving their country in the armed services. As for those who choose not to wear a poppy or even wear a white one, that is there choice too, so long as it’s an informed choice and not something else…

Telegraph.

American-born Reverend Patricia Jackson announced the controversial decision at a meeting of the clergy.
The vicar, who calls herself Rev PJ, told local councillors it was her “democratic right” not to wear the poppy when she conducts the service at Hadley Methodist Church in Telford, Shropshire on November 10.
She refused to give a reason for her decision but a spokesperson at the Telford circuit said it was because Rev Jackson is in favour of peace.
A church spokesman said: “Reverend Jackson is happy to wear a white poppy but doesn’t want to wear a red one because she feels it advocates war which is something she does not believe in.

I foresee a vicar in a world of trouble soon, however that’s her choice. However i do believe the idiot woman is misinformed as to the red poppy’s significance as it does not commemorate war, does not glorify war nor does it advocate militarism. It reminds us of sacrifice and those who fell as well as those who served. There is precious little glory in war as any conversation with soldiers, sailors or airmen will tell you. Nor does the horror of seeing your friends killed or maimed give them anything other than grief.

As for the white poppy, well it was used by the Women’s Cooperative back in 1933 as a symbol to end all wars, six years later the UK was fighting for its life agains the Nazi’s, there was the horror of the concentration camps and the systematic murder of foreign nationals on their own soil by the Einsatzgruppen der Sicherheitspolizei und des SD. The white poppy to me symbolises the peace at any price mindset of the hard of thinking aka the left who are happy to disarm civilisation, though no one else. These were the same people who wanted to ban the bomb (only for the UK) spied upon their own citizens and raved about the socialist paradises across the iron curtain and who still bitterly regret the people there throwing off the yoke of the communists.

The white poppy to me does not symbolise peace, but surrender, this is my view and one which I hold too which is why I will never wear one and do not care for those who do. However this is their choice as it is the vicars choice.

That said, why the hell is she still doing the remembrance service for the fallen if she chooses not to honour their memory?

17 comments for “Freedom of choice

1. Errol
    October 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I don’t wear a poppy. I do so because while I give to the British Legion not wearing one allows someone else to.

As daft as that might sound, I believe that the war was fought for my right to choose to wear a poppy or not, to donate or not, to donate and NOT wear a poppy.

In short, the freedom to choose. Freedoms the current state are adamantly trying to remove.

• October 28, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I see your point, however in this case the vicar in question is refusing to wear one, yet still expects to officiate at the remembrance ceremony.

• Errol
        October 28, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Oh yes, she’s a screaming hypocrite. As with Muslim barbarians desperate to change the system to an Islamic one they comfortably forget that better men than they fought for their right to choose to behave in such a manner.

2. October 28, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Makes a change from wearing a white feather, anyway.

3. Woman on a Raft
    October 28, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I am very glad you have raised this issue as I have some misgivings about how the appeal is being presented. Wearing a poppy is not compulsory, particularly as it also involves a buy-in with a charity whose spending would benefit from being looked at very hard indeed.

As a general rule I do not contribute to charities which are themselves grant-makers because you never know where the money will end up. I also have grave doubts about the ratio of charitable spending to self-marketing in order to raise further money. The Poppy Appeal raises about £32% of the central organization’s income but then 20% of its income is then spent raising money. (Note, the local branches are separately constituted charities).

“Support a marketing manager” is not quite such a successful money-spinner but that is what is happening to £2 out of every £10 of income.

I am concerned that the British Legion does not appear to be able to look after ex-servicemen (and women) despite its £132 million last year, meaning that money has had to be raised by Help for Heroes or other charities. It is time we asked why ex-forces personnel are falling through gaps in provision to wind up on the streets when there are not only the state services but considerable private donations being made.

I agree about the white poppy but I have criticisms about how the red one is being manipulated.

4. richard
    October 28, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I don’t wear one. It makes me sick to see political persons do so when they are responsible for sending people to war. Since my taxes help to pay for it and I don’t have the moral courage to refuse to pay them I will not pretend to honour anyone whilst adding to the mountains of bodies at the same time. Remembrance is a sick joke until the day when warfare is as unthinkable to us as Aztec-style human sacrifice. I’mexarmy and count myself fortunate to have never taken a life and emerged without the psychological prolems which many veterans have to deal with.

• October 29, 2013 at 5:37 am

And it’s never occurred to you that the sale of poppies is actually a charity to aid those who were hurt and the families of those killed serving their country in the armed forces. It’s not like they have a choice where the politicians send them is it?

• Woman on a Raft
        October 31, 2013 at 11:25 am

Yes, but see my comment above. The fact that it is a charity means that one should scrutinize how well it is achieving its aims. To be bullied in to shelling out a pound for it is automatically suspect. Wearing the poppy may privately signify respect for the armed forces but all it publicly signifies is ‘I have given at least £1 to someone who sold me this symbol’.

Or, in the case of many politicians “I have stuck £30 on expenses and the taxpayer is funding my grandstanding, by which I hope to avoid making proper payments via the state for the maintenance of ex-service personnel”.

Far from helping, it may be just providing a get-out for the politicians who can repudiate liability just by waving a few bits of red paper at a camera.

• James Strong
      October 29, 2013 at 6:47 am

I wear one to honour our Armed Forces, to honour what they have done and what they are willing to do.

My action neither shows nor implies any support for the politicians who send them to war.

As for ‘warfare as unthinkable to us as Aztec-style human sacrifice’, that will never happen. Never.
      And because it will never happen we will always need Armed Forces.

• October 29, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Hear hear!

5. Voice of Reason
    October 29, 2013 at 12:24 am

If we had them here in the US, I would wear a red one for my Dad. He didn’t die or get wounded in combat, but he served faithfully for 32 years.

• October 29, 2013 at 2:49 pm

The VFW and American Legion used to collect money and hand out poppies at this time of year. That seems to have died out 25-30 years ago.

I used to keep my old ones and wrap them around the top of my rear view mirror inside the car as a constant reminder of the gratitude we owe those who fought and died for our freedom.

6. Furor Teutonicus
    October 29, 2013 at 8:44 am

XX A female vicar has sparked fury by refusing to wear a poppy when she conducts this year’s remembrance service because the symbol ‘advocates war’. XX

Talk about “missinformed!”

I do voluntary work as a guide at Sachsenhausen/Oranienberg, a Concentration camp not far from Berlin. I have also assisted trips to Auschwitz.

The people, some Jewish, some not, wear small, or sometimes not so small, yellow stars of David, or Pink triangles, or whatever.

According to this…. “Womans” view, that means they are advocating gassing Jews, gays, Gypsies(DON’T get me on THAT topic!)?

Or have I missunderstood her “logic?”

• October 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm

There’s no logic – just self-serving ‘look at me!’ publicity seeking…

7. October 29, 2013 at 2:28 pm

With you on this, QM, I have mine here and yes, it is for the soldiers’ families etc. Yes also, WoaR – where does the money go?

As for the female vicar, less I say the better.

8. Old Codger
    November 1, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Churchmouse is right, she is a minister, not a vicar. As the son of a Methodist minister I am horified that modern Methodism can encompass someone in a position of authority who holds such views and a chapel with Christianity so far down its priorities.

The poppy is a symbol of rememberance and respect for those who have fought to defend our freedoms and all British citizens should know that, especially those who are ordained priests. I wear mine in that spirit.