Why won’t you talk about cows with me?

beverleymitchellThis one comes from deep within the environmental movement, inside the animal rights activists’ bunkers.

Inhabitat reports on a refusal to speak about animal farming to the animal activists [understandable just looking at some of them and their tactics] but not by those in the industry – the refusal is apparently coming from the large environmentalist bodies.

This sounds more like a case for Watt’s Up to me. Here’s the issue:

Andersen fronted the documentary, and as he approached leaders in the environmental movement he increasingly uncovered what appears to be an intentional refusal to discuss the issue of animal agriculture, while industry whistleblowers and watchdogs warn him of the risks to his freedom – and even his life – if he dares to persist.

As Anderson notes, he has been taking short showers to save water like an environmentally responsible citizen, but it turns out that the more than 600 gallons of water used to produce one hamburger is equivalent to two months’ worth of his showering! So why is it that the problems with large-scale factory farming aren’t front and center of the fight against carbon emissions and climate change?

And on the writer?

… with a background in contemporary visual art, craft and design management. From a long line of green thumbs, she is now coming to terms with Canadian urban balcony gardening …

Mind boggles but perhaps, just perhaps, there actually is some substance in this, that eco-groups are in fact another arm of Them, in a similar way to the whole Scottish referendum thing was a piece of political theatre.

21 comments for “Why won’t you talk about cows with me?

1. September 22, 2014 at 12:28 pm

The mind does indeed boggle, but this whole “Animal farming is bad for the environment” is being overplayed a bit. It’s all a trade off and some clever person worked out if you eat on average no more than 100g of meat a day, it doesn’t do much harm.

2. john in cheshire
    September 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm

” eco-groups are in fact another arm of Them”, which probably goes a long way to explain why the animal lovers never shout about the cruelty of halal meat production.

3. Furor Teutonicus
    September 22, 2014 at 3:01 pm

XX As Anderson notes, he has been taking short showers to save water like an environmentally responsible citizen, but it turns out that the more than 600 gallons of water used to produce one hamburger is equivalent to two months’ worth of his showering! XX

Aye. I can smell the bastard from here.

• wiggia
      September 24, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Similar to dual flush toilets, never work with solids, two three flushes waste of time.
      Berlin that suffers from sewage smell, suffers from a lack of natural water that flushes the system, this has been exacerbated by eco demands on water saving which means solids are not flushed through the system as they should, hence the Berlin smell, this came when asked from someone who lived.
      And I’m sure that all who read this are pleased I furnished them with this piece of useless information. 🙂

• Furor Teutonicus
        September 25, 2014 at 8:45 am

XX Berlin that suffers from sewage smell, suffers from a lack of natural water that flushes the system, XX

1) No it does not.

2) “Natural water?” Wansee, Schlachtensee, Müggelsee,Dämeritzsee,Havelsee. Rivers; Spree, Dahme, Havel? Want me to go on?

• Furor Teutonicus
            September 25, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I could not give a shit about “links” I live here, there is NO sewage smell!

• September 25, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Phew, do I detect the smell of altercation here? 😉

• Ed P
              September 25, 2014 at 5:21 pm

But have you been to Pariser Platz or Gendarmen Markt square recently, where the report says the aromas are bad?

• Furor Teutonicus
                September 26, 2014 at 8:43 am

Pariser Platz every work day. My “Office” is jst by the Brandeburger Tor. And Gendarmenmarkt. As our other office is just by Hausvogteiplatz, From Unter-den-Linden, to there, the shortest rout is through Gendermenmarkt, so I am there nearly every work day as well.

NOT forgeting, that for the last few years, there has been an illegal “refugee camp” around Pariser Platz!

Have you sniffed a filthy gypoe camp recently?

• wiggia
              September 25, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I wasn’t going to reply to this as I would have thought the links (German) would have been enough and in all honesty It is not in the scheme of things that important, it was a throw away line based on information received.
              It came from my nephew a Swiss national who has worked and lived in Berlin for over five years, who am I to believe him and German official reports and Der Spiegel a German newspaper or the myriad of tourist reports on the same theme or you ?
              And no I will not say any more, I don’t have to.

• Furor Teutonicus
                September 26, 2014 at 8:44 am

Ort would you believe a Swiss, who has a built in hatred for everything a) German, b) Prussian, but most of all c) BERLIN?

WOW! A WHOLE five years hej?

Not even enough time to get his bloody knees brown laddie.

• September 26, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Swiss? Swiss? Aren’t they those people who pong?

4. September 22, 2014 at 3:02 pm

It all seems a bit iffy, does it not?

5. meltemian
    September 22, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Logic and the Environmental Movement seem unlikely bedfellows.

6. meltemian
    September 22, 2014 at 3:12 pm

….and while I’m at it here’s another group who haven’t thought things out.

7. September 22, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Can’t someone hack into their site and add add an anti-halal rant? And then send the link to some fundamentalists?

8. Bunny
    September 22, 2014 at 8:27 pm

600 gallons of water to produce one hamburger? A brief google has informed me that one cow produces 2024 1/4 hamburgers when slaughtered. This is 1.214m gallons per cow, somehow I doubt that, Thirlmere Reservoir has a capacity of 8.235m gallons. This is equivalent to the requirements of 6,781 cows. Somehow I doubt the figures.

9. Stonyground
    September 23, 2014 at 12:16 pm

“Somehow I doubt the figures.”

I would have thought that anyone with a grain of sense would doubt the figures Bunny.

10. wiggia
    September 24, 2014 at 8:29 am

From her link……………..

When she’s not writing, editing or cooking, you’ll find her thrifting.